Author Topic: Devon court cases or petty trials  (Read 619 times)

Offline maufleury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devon court cases or petty trials
« on: Saturday 14 May 16 03:43 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if it is possible to find a newspaper clipping or court record of an incident that happened at Marldon near Paignton in the year 1900? My grandfather, Archibald Winsor was removed from his home at Marldon by an Inspector Browne and because of frequent warnings to the parents, the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children took over my grandfather's custody and the report says that one or both parents were charged. The parents must have had to go to court, maybe in Paignton so I'm looking for some sort of record of this incident. The parents' names were William James and Fanny Winsor and they were living at Marldon.

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Devon court cases or petty trials
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 16 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a newspaper report of it in the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette on 05 January 1900

"At Paignton Police Court on Friday William and Fanny Winsor, of Marldon were summoned for cruelty to Archibald Winsor nine (?) years of age.  The male defendant, a quarryman and naval pensioner, is father of the child, and the female is the lad's step-mother.  They were fined £2 2s each"

It's a really pale copy so I think Archibald's age is right but can't be completely sure.
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline maufleury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 16 02:25 BST (UK) »
Oh, my goodness! That is it, alright!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for finding that!! Did you find it through the British newspaper archives site? I tried to find it on that site where you have to pay for a month's subscription but could not do so. Actually, Archie's age was probably listed as "9" for some reason, but in Jan. of 1900, with his birthday being July 31, 1888, he was actually 11 coming 12. I know when Archie was sent with the Barnardo boys to Canada in 1900, the ship's list as well as the Barnardo's organization had him at 9 when he was actually 11. Once again, I cannot thank you enough for looking this up for me! It makes everything fall into place for me.

I am Canadian and unsure of the amount of the fine that parents were charged. Was that read as twenty-two pounds? I don't know how to read British money.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 16 13:33 BST (UK) »
The amount was two pounds and two shillings which is the equivalent of £233 today - not much of a fine! By the way - Fanny wasn't his mother - she apparently was his step-mother. His mother may have been Mary Ann VEALE who died in 1890 aged 38. You would need to obtain Archibald's birth certificate to determine if that is correct.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline maufleury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 16 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for clearing the amount of the fine for me! Yes, I knew that Fanny was Archibald's stepmother and that his real mother, Mary Anne Veale, died in Newton-Abbot when Archie was 2 or 3 years old. I do have my grandfather's birth certificate and have done extensive research. You finding that newspaper clipping for me just added another very nice bit of information to my knowledge. Thank you again for all your trouble and for being so kind as to respond to my query.