Author Topic: Price family of Cadoxton Barry Glamorgan  (Read 13151 times)

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
Price family of Cadoxton Barry Glamorgan
« on: Saturday 14 May 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
Cradock, or Caradock known as Creddy Price married to Catherine Rafferty from Waterford Ireland settled in Cadoxton in the 1920s i do believe

They had 3 daughters
Ivy who married Hopey Lee
Emily who married Albert Holland
Josephine known as Pearly married to a greek roma Michael Evon ( Yvonavich
There was also a son who died as a young boy, I do not know his name or any thing about him

Creddy died in 1963 and his vardon was burnt on the common in Cadoxton

Any info, pictures would be very much appreciated, extremely hard to get paper work or census

Came from Cadoxton S. Wales. Moved to England in 1966.
Moved to Florida in 1970
Moved and settled in Toronto in 1971
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Price family of Cadoxton Barry Glamorgan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 16 08:34 BST (UK) »
Was Cradock Price married twice or is this father and son?

1/CARADOCK PRICE, Wales, Glamorganshire,1910, CARDIFF, England & Wales marriages 1837-2008

Spouses : possibility of 2 : Lucy Thomas or Amelia Yeandle

2/CARADOCK PRICE, Wales, Glamorganshire, 1931,CARDIFF, Spouse RAFFERTY, England & Wales marriages 1837-2008

Could he also be Caradog Price? Sometimes?
Caradog Price Snr and Caradog Price Junior being fined for lighting fires beside the highway - 3rd September 1915
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3886244/3886250/57/

1893 Caradog Price and his manslaughter case (Caradog Price Snr?)
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3350591/3350594/37/Price%20%20gipsy%20neath%20manslaughter

"Josiah Price, a gipsy, was brought up at Merthyr Police-court to-day charged with causing grievous bodily harm to Caradog Price, his cousin, who is also a member of the Romany tribe" 11th   June 1906
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4164185/4164187/32/gipsy%20price%20neath

Was Caradock Price's brother named Ivor Price and he served in the military?
His enlistment papers could be on ancestry?

Possibly your Ivor Price? - I'd check this man out further - parents, now resident in London, hails from Builth
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4093500/4093502/21/Ivor%20Price
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 16 08:55 BST (UK) »
"Old Gypsy Price - A gipsy woman by the name of Aschella Price born at Shrewsburry, 103 years ago was seen at Seven Sisters one day this week" 2nd   August   1919

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3979953/3979960/84/cadoxton%20price%20gipsy

Her husbands death - 5th   March 1909

"GIPSY KILLED NEAR GARNANT RUN OVER ON THE RAILWAY LINE. On Saturday night, whilst an old gipsy named Price was walking on the railway line between Brynamman and Garnant he was knocked down by a. O.W.R. train and killed. Deceased was aged 92 years. His forehead and the side of his face were gashed and one leg broken in several places. The body lies at the Brynamman Hotel"

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3418094/3418101/173/cadoxton%20price%20gipsy

Another Price/Slender article (relatives?) 27th December 1907
Caradog Price, Hope Price, and Thomas Slender, Accused of cutting wood from a fence to make pegs without permission
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3874955/3874961/53/

Ashella Price parents Caradoc Price b 1845 & Emily Slender b 1839? (maybe not the same Aschella as the 103 year old one?) Noah Othea Burton married Ashella Price b 1873 Pembrokeshire Wales, parents Caradoc Price b 1845 * Emily Slender b 1839
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hallo whiteout7, thank you for all this info.  Yes the name can be Caragog, Cradock and in our village in Cadoxton he was known as Creddy. His fathers name was the same...and he did have a brother named Ivor but doubt it would have been the one mentioned in this article.
I do not know my great grans name,,,she was known as Granny Price. Slender does ring a bell.
Regarding Valley Stream and Travellers Times, it was myself who put the photos and info there:-)

I have been trying to find out about a severe accident my mother was in as a child in Barry, her name was Pearly Price (Josephine) as a child she was run over by a drunken driver and received severe head injuries, mum had long plaits down her back and the got caught in the back of the vehicle that hit her and she was dragged for a long while. Her whole head skull was replaced with metal. She suffered for most of her adult life.

Below is a picture of my mother Pearly with my father Michael Evon when they were living in Africa

Moved to Florida in 1970
I have been married for over 40 years and we have 2 wonderful boys and one granddaughter
Surnames....Price, Evon, Shatten, Lee, Riley, Burton, Ayres, Smith, Loveridge, Rafferty,

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 May 16 11:06 BST (UK) »
Cornishman Cornwall, England
16 May 1923
GYPSY CENTENARIAN. WOMAN WHO LIVED FOR 107 YEARS WITHOUT AN ILLNESS. A gypsy woman, Askella Price, who died at the age of 107, was buried at Cardiff Thursday. She was the widow of Josiah Price, a member a gypsy family, vvho lived for many years in a caravan.

(So Askella married to Josiah Price was a relative of Caradog Price)

"Josiah Price, a gipsy, was brought up at Merthyr Police-court to-day charged with causing grievous bodily harm to Caradog Price, his cousin, who is also a member of the Romany tribe" 11th   June 1906
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4164185/4164187/32/gipsy%20price%20neath

*Meidrim parish church baptisms
1856 22 May
Henrietta Price dau Josiah and Ashella Price, Blwchygwynt Road, Strolling Razor grinder

IGI
Name   Josiah Price
Gender   Male
Christening Date   07 Aug 1866
Christening Place   LLANTRISANT,GLAMORGAN,WALES
Father's Name   Josiah Price
Mother's Name   Ashella

and there is your connection with Eric Trudgill's work

Fiance Price married Caradog Price son of Caradog and Emily Price.
http://www.gypsygenealogy.com/showarticle.php?article_id=189

And yes her name was actually Fiance Price marrying a Caradog Price son of Caradog Price and Emily Slender.
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline cwtch

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Truth Sets Us Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 May 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Whiteout7, yes this must all be my family on my mums side...I wish i could copy and paste the article, I have tried a few times but as soon as I highlight the article the colour changes and when it pastes it is so faint I cannot read it. It will not C&P in black and white.
Thank you for taking such an interest.:-)

The photo shows my gran and grandad with 2 of their daughters.
Moved to Florida in 1970

Offline ShellyE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 August 16 14:15 BST (UK) »
My g/g/grandfather was Caradoc Price married to Emily Slender. I believe his father was Sampson Price born about 1822.  Is there anyone else from the same family? Does anyone have any details re the Slender family? I only know Emily.

Offline Aaron Trail

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 August 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
Emily Slender was the daughter of Nicholas Slender who at my recent discovery was the sister to my great great grandmother boba slender who immigrated to America along with most of her siblings and I’m not sure why Emily never came with them they were welsh romanichal and her mother was Frances Shaw my great grandmother was a slender is love to connect with you it appears that we are kin