Author Topic: Argues of Castleterra,Cavan  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Argues of Castleterra,Cavan
« on: Saturday 14 May 16 19:01 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find info on John Argue 1808-1874 of Castleterra Cavan Ireland. I believe his father was James  (1759-June 1837) and his mother was Ann ? I'm curious about a birth record and did he have any siblings or when did he leave for Canada where he came and married Mary Stevens and lived at Solina Ontario. I have all his Canadian records.
His grandparents may have been Thomas Argue (?-1762) and Mary Smothergil (1730-1767) of Castleterra.
There is an Argue grave in plot 72 of Ballyhaise Cemetery which may be of his family.
Also George Argue and his wife Mary Wilson from Cavan came to Canada in 1821 and lived at Stittsville Ontario. His father was Thomas (1750-1840) perhaps a brother of James. John and George would then be cousins.
Thanks for any help
Rodger

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Argues of Castleterra,Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 16 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
You are so lucky.
The family are in the 1821 Census of Ireland.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
this site is free.
I can't say on this message page about any "Live" or Living information.
You need to have a few replies on this before Private messages can be sent.
I do have info for you.
Maggsie

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 16 13:43 BST (UK) »
Link to them on Census  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hmy/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 16 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maggsie and Hallmark for you work finding info on the Argues and the website for the 1821 census. I believe house 10 is the family of my g.g. grandfather John Argue but the proof has yet to be found. It seems he had siblings I didn't know about.

Thanks again for your help
Rodger

Offline HuntleyGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 May 16 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Rodger
There were two George Argues from County Cavan who came to Canada and settled in the Ottawa Valley in 1821...my gggGrandfather George Argue came to Huntley Township, Carleton County, ON shortly after George Argue and Mary Wilson came to Goulbourn (Stittsville) It is suspected that they were related but no proof has been found that I am aware of. My GGG Grandfather George was born about 1762 and died before 1842 as he is not found in the census of that year. His dates and Goulbourn George's dates (1772-1848) are often mixed up in information found on the net. To add to the confusion there were marriages between the children of these two families. I have found reference to a letter on microfilm in Library and Archives Canada/ National Archives London, Great Britian suggesting that my GGG Grandfather George ("Huntley George" as I call him) had a brother James with wife and 3 children and John-with wife and 8 children. James did not come to Canada but it is quite possible that the John you are referencing is James' son. I have lots more information...and lots more questions!...Anne A.

Offline Rodger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 16 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Thanks for this information and it could be that our GGG grandfathers are brothers. I have a James Argue (1725-1762) and his wife Mary Smothergil (1730-1767) with 2 daughters and 3 sons. One son is George who I have born in 1755 and died in 1809 and another son James (1759-1837) who I believe is my GGG granfather. I believe he had 3 children, one of whom is John (1805-1874) my GG grandfather. Do you know who 'Huntley' George's parents were?
There is a lot of information on the  George Argue who married Mary Wilson and lived at Stittsville but like you I can't positively say they were related to James although I suspect there is a good chance that they were.
If there is one thing to be said about geneology, is that there are always ...lots more questions!
Rodger

Offline HuntleyGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 16 01:43 BST (UK) »
I have no definitive proof of Huntley George's parents unfortunately. It has been speculated by Daniel E Argue (descended from the Shawville, Quebec Argues...perhaps you have seen his posts on some of the Ancestry message boards).... that Thomas Argue and Mary Smothergil are the parents of Huntley George. This link does seem to suggest this could be the case...http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/argue/94/. I have not seen the dates you have for George in my searches.
My hope is that we eventually will be able to make more connections through Dna links and I have found proof of one previously unknown daughter of Huntley George through a Dna match and subsequent contact with her descendants. It would be one way of ascertaining whether there is a link between our families.
Anne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kimberleyscottwindsor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 March 19 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!
I descend from George Argue and Mary Wilson who are the Stittsville, Ontario Argues.  I also descend from George Argue and Ann Patterson from the Carp, Ontario line.  If you list what you are looking for I hopefully can give you that information.  My file on the Argues is quite large. 
Cheers!