Author Topic: ANDERSON, William Henry Esq died 1819 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire  (Read 9235 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
ANDERSON, William Henry Esq died 1819 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
« on: Sunday 15 May 16 03:59 BST (UK) »
ANDERSON, William Henry Esq born c1783 - died 1819 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire

We believe William Henry ANDERSON was born c1783 in Udale/Udoll, Cromarty, Scotland.
Certain documents indicate his father was Alexander ANDERSON of Udale, Cromarty, Scotland.
His WILL states the mother of his 2 sons to have been Sarah ANDERSON otherwise LEWIS otherwise NOBLE (or NOBBS – hard to decipher the old writing).
His 2 known sons are:
1.   Alexander ANDERSON born 27 June 1810 Islington, Middlesex baptised 4 December 1810 (PR held)
2.   William Henry ANDERSON born 10 June 18110 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire baptised 18 August 1811 (PR held)
He wrote his WILL 15 October 1817 in London, (stating his abode as Cheshunt, Herts.) leaving everything to his 2 sons Alexander and William Henry. If either or both of the sons died before reaching age 21 the beneficiaries were to be his dear sisters Caroline and Emily.
He stated his 2 sons were being schooled in London at Miss Browell's School, Kentish Town, UK.  He also appointed 3 gentlemen as Legal Guardians and Executors until they reached their majority.
There was no mention of the mother of his 2 sons apart from naming her as their mother.
He also mentions an Uncle Wm. ANDERSON of Russell Square.
William Henry ANDERSON Esq. died 01 May 1819 Goffs Oak Cottage, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire. (PR held)
He was buried 7 May 1819 St Mary the Virgin Anglican Church, Parish of Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, UK. (PR held)

His occupation was – gentleman.  From details in his WILL it seems he was a man of substance.
But – we know nothing more...
We have not located a BIRTH or BAPTISM for him either in Scotland or England.
We have not located a MARRIAGE for him either in Scotland or England.
We have not located a DEATH for his wife Sarah either in Scotland or England.

He obviously was connected to Cheshunt  for his younger son to be born there, to state it as his home in his WILL written in 1817, and to have died and been buried there.

From the births of his 2 sons it appears he may have lived in 2 locations – London and Cheshunt.  Possibly 3 if we include the Cromarty, Scotland connection.

Can anyone tell me anything more about this family...?

Thanks in anticipation.
Barb in Australia

Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline ellecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ANDERSON, William Henry Esq died 1819 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
 Hello all. You certainly got more detail from the will than myself. All I can add is that Alexander  the eldest of the two boys was bap in Isington Middlesex in 1810 so one assumes the family was living Middlesex before moving to Goffs Oak near Cheshunt in Hertfordshire.This being my Family I have spent many hours looking for more information .I have a burgess ticket dated 1826  Alexander b1810 it states he was from London and was a student at the academy of Fortrose.One assumes  that William Henry the younger son also attended the academy.With the  recent information from this site I can understand the Cromarty Fortrose connection. William Henry and Alexander were 8 and 9 years old at time of their father death. One must remember that the boys  had aunts living in Cromarty. I have asked may family historians  about the absence of any  financial support for Sarah Noble  and was advised that was not uncommon for that time. I at one time thought  I had a marriage for Sarah and William Henry 11 may 1801 this would have William Henry 18 years old  the marriage is to Sarah Lewis so I  assume she possibly married previously this marriage took place in Durham England I could not find anything else.Can not locate a birth  spent many hours. Now it is stated he is born Scotland., still no  success . The only other thought I had was to try and locate the Will for William Henry that dealt with the property at Goffs Oak. sorry I had little information to offer. bye Ellecat

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 16 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi ellecat
Good to know there is someone else out there looking into this family ☺
We are beginning to think we'll never find the answers. ..
What information did you get from the "burgess ticket"..? Alexander would have been 16 then.
We wondered what became of him (and his brother of course ) between the school in Kentish town  and when he married.
Barb in Australia
Researching:

Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 16 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hertfordshire  Names Online - www.hertsdirect.org
https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?ebz=1_1463377498102&ebd=0

There are 2 entries relating to William Henry Anderson d. 1819
1 relating to his death notice
Title: Died : Death notice of William Henry Anderson
Source: County Chronicle page 3
Publication date: 11 May 1819
Subjects: People
Places: Goffs Oak
Personal names: William Henry Anderson

1 relating to the sales by auction: The household furniture
Title: Sales by auction : The household furniture
Source: County Chronicle page 3
Publication date: 13 July 1819
Subjects: Auctions; Furniture
Places: Goffs Oak
Personal names: William Henry Anderson

These articles can be purchased online 10 GBP per article.

Who knows what might be in the articles....?

Barb
Researching:

Researching:

Offline ellecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 16 10:08 BST (UK) »
 Hello to All The burgess ticket did not produce allot of information  there is no information available from Fortrose wrote several letters.Burgesses are usually the sons of Burgess remembering Alexanders Father is deceased I often wondered who encouraged this in a young lad, possibly the Mackenzies Alexanders aunt Justina was deceased prior to the 1826 burgess ticket but remember her husband was JOHN  MACKENZIE OF BAYFIELD  appears to come from  a strong Jacobite family in Scottish history. There is mention of ALEXANDER MACKENZIE on ticket and ALEXANDER attended Fortrose Accademy [ no records there either] This might help others.
 Alexander Anderson b 1755c d 1809 m Jane d 1811 had the following children
 Ann b about 1785 Scotland
Justina b about 1788 in Udoll
Maragret B 1792  in  Cromartyshire
Caroline b 21 jan 1797 Cromartyshire
Emily b about 1800 cromartyshire
 Jane   no details and William Henry b 1783 Scotland        bye Ellecat

Offline ellecat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 May 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
 Hello again  barb could you possibly give me the  date of birth of your gg  grand mother Emily       
 Augusta Wood Anderson  I  could not find  her birth. I have her marriage to William Anderson 
 b1853 in Guernsey but I know very little of the pair , some suggestion that he was at sea.

This might interest all.
 It appears that we have two families with the same names given to their children.At Heldon Church Wm Mackenzie esq third dragoons son of  the late John Mackenzie esq  Bayfield of north Britain to Justina third daughter of William Anderson esq Russell Square.
sourse THE LONDON MAGAZINE vol 6 This could be Uncle WILLIAM ANDERSON on William Henrys Will. This could be a brother of John Mackenzie who married Alexander of Udoll  s daughter Justina
 marring William Anderson of Udoll s daughter Justina this is complex. I currently think  that ALEXANDER ANDERSON of UDOLL may be the  brother of Justina Anderson b1749 Udoll and WILLIAM, needs  more work. There was two news paper snippets one mentioned Highwood Hill there is a connection there can anyone comment need sum rest bye Ellecat.

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 May 16 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello again ellecat
I have been posting on behalf of my cousin who is new to this, so while I am related to her it is not on the Anderson line.
She has shown me the replies she has received so far on this forum.
To answer your question re Emily Augusta - her birth was regd. in NSW under her mother's married name of WHITEHEAD (she was a widow) & also under her mother's maiden name of WOOD.
3448/1857     WHITEHEAD    EMILY W A       MARY A    PADDINGTON    
3448/1857     WOOD            EMILY W A       MARY A    PADDINGTON
In 1862 Mary Ann WHITEHEAD married William Henry ANDERSON (b. 1811 Cheshunt, Herts.)
We believe he was the father of Emily prior to his marriage to her mother Mary Ann.
It appears Emily's husband William (b. 1851 St Peter's Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands) (son of Alexander Anderson & Mary Ann Taylor, younger brother of Alexander Anderson born 1833 St Pancras, Mdsx.) was actually her cousin and to date we do not have any evidence that they had issue although this situation is legal in Australia.
Various certificates have not helped to clarify the question of issue as information varies from one document to another.
Emily Augusta Wood Anderson ANDERSON married Charles Durham SCATES in 1898 although it appears she was still married to William ANDERSON.  She died in 1928 and he almost immediately (at age 77) remarried.  It appears he was possibly in a relationship and waited until he was free to marry legally.  He died not long after in 1930 leaving his new wife as his beneficiary.
It seems he was a clerk/accountant etc., possibly the "at sea" refers to William Henry (b. 1811) who was a Sea Captain/Mariner.
We discussed your thoughts on various different possibilities tonight and yes, more to think about....
I also have seen the entries for Highwood Hill and wondered what, if any, might be the connection.
I suggested my cousin contact you via PM to compare what you both have and see where you might be able to go from here.
Barb
Researching:

Researching:

Offline JillAnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 May 16 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again Ellecat.
I‘ve been talking to my cousin Barb (our family ancestry sleuth) who has been helping me greatly in our search for the missing links. I can see from her last chat with you that she has filled in most of the details. I have just placed a message on the Cromarty-Ross page seeking some clarity re the early Anderson’s to see if we can find the link between Rev Hugh Anderson (b. about 1633) and our Alexander Anderson  ( d 1809.) It would be less confusing if they didn’t all have the same names!!!
Back to William Henry  Anderson d.1819. I was wondering if his wife Sarah had died before he made his will. That may be why she was not mentioned as a beneficiary. We have not come up with a death cert  as yet. If Alexander and William Henry were at The Academy of Fortrose or living with their uncle they may show up in a census. Have you already checked this?
We are not sure where Isabelle (Isabella) fits into the picture as William Henry Anderson’s (d.1873) death cert  lists children of his marriage to Mary Ann Whitehead as 1 female living, 1 female deceased. My g. grandmother was Emily Augusta  Wood Anderson Anderson their daughter. Do you have any information re Isabelle. Emily Augusta and William Anderson had 3 children - Myrtle, Muriel and my grandfather Crawford Eric Leslie Anderson. We have no record of C.E.L.s birth other than that he was born in Berwick Vic. We have also been searching for any records in relation to Crawford Allen. (very allusive)He is given as C.E.L’s father, on C.E.L’s marriage cert.(Crawford Allen, known as Anderson)  I have spoken to and emailed Myrtle’s daughter. She  was very interested in what we had uncovered but had no extra info. Confused? So are we!!!  Bedtime.
Thanks Jillian

Offline Whirlybird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 June 16 11:46 BST (UK) »
Justina, wife of John Mackenzie of Bayfield, was the daughter of William of Udol, but sister of William of  Highwood House, a Regency mansion at Highwood Hill.
The Udol Estate came into the hands of the Andersons in 1687 via The Viscount Tarbat/1st Earl of Cromarty.
The House of Udol was quite grand and at times had as many as 9 live in servants. It was sold to a Captain Sutherland in 1827 and later was burned down, (accidentally I presume). It was on the site of present day Udale Farm,and had marvellous views over Udale Bay.
Justina's headstone reads:-
Erected by John Mackenzie Esq. to the memory of his much loved wife Justina, daughter of William Anderson of Udol, who departed this life 10th day of June 1797 aged 37 years.The most dutiful daughter and affectionate wife and mother who lived the life of unaffected piety, benevolence and charity, and died in the greatest firmness and resignation leaving a disconsolate husband and family to bewail their heavy loss. Beloved by her neighbour's and much lamented by the poor.
I have researched the Andersons as far back as Gilbert Anderson b. 1597 and my husband is a direct descendant of Gilbert.