Author Topic: ANDERSON, William Henry Esq died 1819 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire  (Read 9259 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ANDERSON, William Henry Esq died 1819 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 June 16 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hello whirlybird and many thanks for that unexpected and most welcome information.
Just in case notification of your post only came to me I have forwarded it on to JillAnd who is the direct descendant of this line.
We'll both take great pleasure in following up your details and in seeing what more we can find in the way of a connection - maybe we are getting close  :)

It appears as if JillAnd could possibly have a relative  :)

Is it possible that you are able to verify via your research (which sounds an incredible feat as it is SO confusing) that the Alexander Anderson (father of William Henry who died 1819 Cheshunt, Herts.) is a direct descendant of Gilbert Anderson...?

If so that would be amazing/fantastic/wonderful  :)

Looking forward to staying in contact and sorting out the Williams and Alexanders.
Barb in Australia
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline Whirlybird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 June 16 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
A bit more info for you
William Anderson(1) who married Ann Davidson in 1757 had three children.
William(2) of Highwood House, Jane who married Alexander of Udol, and Justina who married John Mackenzie of Bayfield.  Alexander could not have been brother to William (2) as he was born 1755 - two years before the marriage of his supposed parents.
It was more common in those days to marry within the family, and it certainly looks as if Alexander and Jane were connected by blood. He might have been her cousin, or even her uncle.

William(1) was a surgeon in the army and in 1761 went abroad for 3 years on the "Kings Service" , leaving the Udol estate in the care of his brother-in-law Henry Davidson. The Davidsons were an extremely powerful and influential family whose family seat was Tulloch Castle. Udol was legally transferred into Davidsons care for the price of  "1 Scottish Penny" and honourably handed back upon Williams safe return from war, in spite of a lengthy Court Case brought by Sir John Gordon of Invergordon, who petitioned strongly for a different outcome.
William(2) of Highwood was a very wealthy Sugar Broker, sugar being the commodity that oil is today. He traded with the West Indies and I have no evidence that he was in any way connected to the slave trade. The Davidsons, however, were heavily involved.
William(2)'s children have already been listed on this site. His youngest son Robert Milligan is the line that my husband is descended from.
He married Louisa Webber, who according to Anthony Adolph, renowned genealogist, has every possibility of being descended from Charles 11.
I may post more info eventually, but I'm a bit new to this site and finding it tricky to find my way about.
I have a photo of Robart Milligan Anderson if anyone is interested. I loved the picture of Alexander in his silk embroidered waistcoat.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 June 16 11:52 BST (UK) »
The excellent ROLLCO site  http://www.londonroll.org  has the apprenticeship details for Alexander Anderson, son of the late William Henry Anderson sugar broker of 6 Mincing Lane, London, to fellow broker William Scott of 73 Gt Tower St, 23 Jan 1827 within the Drapers' Company (there was no livery company for any part of the sugar trade).

Lowndes directories put the Anderson offices at 31/32 (Gt) Tower St from 1790, but by 1815 it was at 6 Mincing Lane as above. Still there in 1865.

There's no quick way of me seeing the connections (if any) between the Anderson sugar brokers in London and the later ones in Scotland, particularly Greenock, however you might find some useful info on my database at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugaraa.html  .
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 June 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hello sugarbakers - that will be amazing new information if I can only find it....
All we have for William Henry Anderson - d1819 Cheshunt, Herts. - was "Gentleman", so I hope we are talking about the same man, and his oldest son Alexander b. 1810 Islington.....?
Yes, if I could only find the apprenticeship record  :-\
I have searched using DRAPERS - ANDERSON - 1820-1870 - APPRENTICE
with no result.
I must be doing something wrong?
H-E-L-P
Barb in Australia
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 June 16 12:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, Barb, I had the same trouble.  Use Drapers - Anderson - 1827.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline JillAnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 June 16 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you  both Whirlybird and Sugarbaker for your help and interest. As my cousin Barb has said we are really grateful. I am new to the Ancestry Searching and Barb is so experienced and good at knowing all the ins and outs. The Scottish naming system certainly makes things confusing and the fact that they seem to marry their relatives doesn’t help!  We have also found this with an Anderson relative who married her cousin ( we think) in Aust in1873. The marriage was performed by the infamous Rev Fullerton and no details of parents were recorded. I will need some time to digest the new information. So much of the information  you find can be contradictory and misleading and we make sure we have DP. I just wish I had asked my Dad lots of questions. I can remember when I was about 10 my dad threw out some rather large oil paintings in large frames of very serious looking gentlemen. Why! Oh Why! From memory the paintings were rather dark. He had them stored in the garage roof and they had apparently been damaged by damp and maybe mice. I presume he got them from his dad  (Crawford Eric Lesley Anderson)and they may have not been in good condition when he got them. These in turn would have come from his grandmother Emily Augusta Wood Anderson. It was from her that the photo of the painting of Alexander of Udol ,that we posted on the site , came. It’s interesting you make reference to Charles 11. I can remember my dad saying that his family was related to Bonnie Prince Charlie -we always joked that it was probably on the wrong side of the bed clothes!! You never know we may have a connection too. I was thinking that it was probably just through association during the Scottish wars.
Any info you have re WH Anderson d 1819 would help us  fill in a gap as we have little info on him
Thanks Jillian (Bris Australia )

It seems that Barb has just replied as well.

Offline Whirlybird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 June 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at "Emily Anderson, Little Red Riding Hood" on Google.
It is a painting of Emily Anderson, daughter of William of Highwood, painted by Thomas Lawrence. You might find family resemblances. This painting is now in a Museum and Art Gallery in California.
What a pity about the paintings your Dad threw out; I've always thought there must have been some paintings that adorned the Company Offices in Mincing Lane...I wonder?
Also another item of interest is "The Anderson Pontifical" belonging to an earlier Hugh Anderson, a copy of which is now in The British Library. You can Google that too.

I think my husband and JillAnd must be related albeit rather distantly.
Still turning! Whirlybird.

Offline JillAnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Whirlybird.
Thank you, yes I had seen the Little Red Riding Hood painting but did not know the connection to the family. The only family resemblance to the painting is the fact that I named my daughter Emily. I knew it was a family name (my dad’s sister was Margaret Emily and there were obviously others.) At the time of her birth, the name Emily was not at all as popular as it is now.
As there are a few confusing posts on the site could you confirm that your husband is related to Robert Milligan A. 1811, whose parents were William and Ann Deffell, with siblings Carolyn 1796, Ann 1875, Justina 1799, William Archibald 1800, John 1802, Henry 1804, Hugh1808, and Duncan1807. I have read a Rootschat source saying Robert Milligan A. d 1819 age 79 at Highwood Hill Middlesex and Udoll Cromarty source 28 July 1819. This can’t be your Robert Milligan, can it?                       
Help!!! Another site www.merchantnetworks.com.au/genealogy/web/davidsonhenry/pafg06.htm.[/url] Entry 26, lists Justina 1799,William, Hugh, Henry and Emily as William and Ann Deffell. (no Robert, John, Caroline or Ann). Very confusing.
The link I have formed to Gilbert Anderson (1597)is Hugh Anderson (1633) who married Grizel Row, their issue Alexander (1672) Rev in Duffus  married Elizabeth Trent ,their issue William. Is this our William who married Ann Davidson? Do I have this right or am I on the wrong track?
It was interesting to see that the connection to William and Ann (Davidson) is actually through Jane Anderson not Alexander. Do we know where Alexander Anderson (1755) fits in? I’ll look into trying to find out if William (1761) had a brother or a nephew Alexander. One more question (no really I have 100's more) Did The Viscount Tarbat (George Mackenzie) have a connection to  the family or did he give  the land to the Andersons in his role of Lord Chief Registra? I would like to see your photo of Robert. I have a photo of 4 people ,Mother and 3 adult children, that we can't place. Thought it may be my great grandmother and her children, Myrtle, Muriel and Crawford Eric Lesley Anderson however Myrtle's daughter could not identify them.
Bye for now
Jillian.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 00:25 BST (UK) »
Have you thought of looking in either the London Gazette or the Edinburgh Gazette for your ancestors.

There's a Wm Anderson and a Wm Henry Anderson who dissolved their brokerage partnership of Mincing Lane, London with Duncan Davidson Milligan in January 1818.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/17326/page/195
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke