Author Topic: Wood & Sons Co. Bedlington Station Deane House  (Read 11510 times)

Offline Kathryn Wood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wood & Sons Co. Bedlington Station Deane House
« on: Sunday 15 May 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hello all
This is my first post and I am still feeling my way... looking to get in touch with several posters who have asked about the Wood 'pop' factory in Bedlington Station. I have some information about that family, including some beer bottle labels my grandfather Joseph Wood brought with him when he emigrated to Canada as a very young man. I believe his parents' names were John and Ellen. He brought stories with him about Dene (Dean? Deane?) House; my mother and I visited in 1983 and picked up some information about the business (run later by Lancelot I think) and the related business (Wood & Watson) in Durham. Watson was the father-n-law's name. Visited there in 83 as well.

Am looking to share information with others interested in this particular Wood family and also to get a better address for Deane House (my brother is going to visit at the end of May and only has my 30 year old photograph to go by) I think the house is on Bedlington Furnace Road (as Wood & Sons did occupy the Iron Works for a time.... Have a couple of photos of the employees of that day as well....

Please feel free to get in touch if you would like to share information... 
Kathryn Wood

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Wood & Sons Co. Bedlington Station Deane House
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 16 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathryn

Welcome to rootschat.  I'm sure it won't take long for people to start responding- they're a keen lot when it comes to local history  ;D

Christine

Offline Kathryn Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 16 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome. I found (Google Earth street view) the house my grandfather lived in as a young boy... This is the link:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@55.1273185,-1.5594954,3a,75y,111.82h,71.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1GulGtyxnII-M_4nP-qd0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Dead ringer for the photo I took in 83. It's on Front Street...

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 16 20:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome Katherine, The house in this photo is not in Bedlington, but here in Blyth on the Bebside road which leads up to the town of Bedlington , this row of houses is just up the road from me,
    I could pop up and see if Dene House is on any of the few houses that is there.
              Everyone remembers Woods pop , I used to hitch a lift up on the back of their vans to go  to the outdoor swimming pool in Humford woods... 
                                                  Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Kathryn Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 16 21:16 BST (UK) »
Wow! That would be incredible Dolly! Thank you so much for offering! I have attached a photo from many years ago that is said to be Dene House and there is a reference to the Wood family living there. But the image doesn't match the photo I took in 83. I am wondering if the family moved or if I took a photo of the "backside". Any info you can offer would be great! The labels my Grandfather brought with him referred to Bedlington Station but we also heard references to Bebside and Blyth....  (see label photo attached... just black and white but the originals are colour)

When my grandfather enlisted in WWI, he listed his next of kin as Mrs. Bella Millar (Aunt) at Dean House, Bedlington, England. So that may be another trail for my siblings and I to chase...

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 May 16 23:08 BST (UK) »
Katherine, I shall take a look at both these places for houses etc. The first pic,  these houses are still there, but according to my better half the houses in your second pic are no longer there..  I can still go along and do a little spoaching if there is anything you think of...
                                    Dolly x
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Kathryn Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 May 16 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Dolly.
I am taking from your note that the "original Dene House" is no longer there... if there was a way of figuring out where it stood, that'd be amazing! Interesting to me that my grandfather referred to the second house (the buildings that are still there) as being "Dean House". That reference would have been written down in about 1914 or so... I am assuming the original house was gone by then. I am sure there is a story behind it.... In 1983, I went to the still-existing building and was told by the inhabitants that Lancelot Wood had in fact lived there, until the mid-1950s if memory serves. So I am guessing there were two Wood homes at different times. Maybe the fouinder Joseph stayed in the original house and son John --- and perhaps other brothers --- lived in the second still-existing place.

Thank you again for your sleuthing on our behalf. It will mean my brother (and his son, also named Joseph) will be able to make good use of their time exploring your community.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 May 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
Kathryn, Also have a look at 'Blyth History' here in RootsChat (Northumberland section), also look for 'Bebside' as well, and you will find other references to Wood's pop factory when it was located at Bebside.  There is also mention of Lance Wood who at one time owned the Bebside Inn, next to the railway crossing there.

Offline Kathryn Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 May 16 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions!
I will take them up forthwith!
Kathryn