Author Topic: Birth record for Hugh Mccleery Derriaghy 1798 ish  (Read 864 times)

Offline Jackiedriscoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth record for Hugh Mccleery Derriaghy 1798 ish
« on: Tuesday 17 May 16 14:33 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where I can find records for this man. He was Church of Ireland. I would love info on him and a marriage if possible. I believe he had a son called John. Not too much to go on though! Can you also tell me whether a birth/baptism record will give me his parents name as well? Thanks for help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth record for Hugh Mccleery Derriaghy 1798 ish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 14:50 BST (UK) »
At the top of the Antrim board there is a sub-board ANTRIM RESOURCES & OFFERS- the 1st thread is CHURCH RECORDS & GRAVEYARDS and you'll find a link to Christ Church, Derriaghy under Church of Ireland.

PRONI, Belfast lists what records are available on microfilm- go to page 154 for Derryaghy:
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jackiedriscoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Offline jason mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, I was wondering if you managed to find any information about Hugh McCleery?  I am researching the McClurg surname in Killead, Glenavy, Dundrod, Tullyrusk, Tornaroy and Derriaghy.  From what I can see in the Stoneyford and Derriaghy records transcribed by the NIFHS there are a number of McCleery families whose surname is actually McClurg.  I suspect Hugh could also be a McClurg.  For example in the NIFHS records you will see twin births to a William McCleery/Mary Brown(e).  The twins show up in the 1901 census as McClurg, both unmarried and living with their mother Mary.  I have the actual marriage registration  for William McClurg and Mary Brown which took place in Dundrod Presbyterian church.  William was from the townland of Slievenacloy close to Stoneyford.  In the tithe applotment books a Hugh McCleery is resident in Stoneyford.  In my own direct line, my great great grandfather James McClurg also had twins and he named them William and Hugh.  There is also a Rosey McClurg in the 1901 census who is resident in the townland of Ballymather and certain information would seem to point to her father possibly being Hugh McCleery.

Offline Jackiedriscoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. I have so little to go on that it seems almost impossible to be sure I've got the right Hugh. I know he had one son called John 1824-1912( dates obtained from obituary ). He lived in Dundalk, Newry and Belfast to my knowledge. I only know his father was called Hugh as it was on his marriage certificate. I've found quite a lot oh 'Hughs' but not enough information to link them with John. I have tried church records but been unsuccessful.

Offline jason mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
A John McCleery, age 89 died on 14th April 1912 at Cheviot Avenue in Belfast.  His death was registered by his son George.  Is this John the son of the Hugh you are looking for?

Offline Jackiedriscoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 October 18 02:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, this is the man. He was my great grandfather.