Author Topic: Where exactly was the Bell Inn, Cornhill (Ipswich)?  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where exactly was the Bell Inn, Cornhill (Ipswich)?
« on: Tuesday 17 May 16 15:48 BST (UK) »
I hoping that someone with knowledge of old Ipswich may be able to help me with the exact positioning of the Bell Inn, Cornhill, and numbers 12 to 15 Westgate Street, Ipswich (as per the 1851 Census).

From a couple of newspaper articles which appeared in early October 1854, I've discovered that my 3x great-grandfather was living in the house to the east of Mr Batley, gas-fitter/plumber, on Westgate Street and - by the looks of the census - next door to the Bell Inn, when he had a major fire on the premises. I've tried to work out which side of the road these buildings were, and in which direction they ran, but as I don't know Ipswich at all, I'm on a losing wicket. There is mention of Mr Trundle and Mr Creswell's premises being "at the rear" and partially affected by the fire; the census lists these two as being numbers 8 and 10 Cornhill. All help gratefully received!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Where exactly was the Bell Inn, Cornhill (Ipswich)?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 16:01 BST (UK) »
The 1851 for Westgate Street/Cornhill does not give House Numbers just Household Schedule Numbers .  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 16:14 BST (UK) »
Oh, thanks, Rosie, I did wonder actually, as the Bell Inn is usually referred to as 1 Cornhill, but that doesn't enlighten me any further as to its position on the street. I've tried using a modern map to work out where it might have been, but without much success.

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
Corner of Cornhill and Westgate Street replaced by Ipswich shop J H Grimwade Ltd (known locally as  Grimwades) now sadly, no longer there.
If you look at a picture of the Town Hall on Cornhill, Grimwades was the red brick  building on the right hand corner, opposite Debenhams.
Hepzibah

PS According to the Camra website, the Bell closed in 1893
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Hepzibah. The little map I was using didn't really help to show how the buildings related to each other. Is Cornhill the little strip that runs down the right side of the Town Hall where Manning's is in the photo? If so, that makes things much clearer to me and would explain why Trundle and Creswell were described as being to the rear of my ancestor's house. If I've worked it out right he was living in the property occupied by Joseph Bird in the 1851 census. It's amazing the Bell was still going until 1893, given that it sustained severe damage to the roof and gable in the fire, and my ancestor's house was pretty much destroyed, according to the reports.

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 09:55 BST (UK) »
Mannings is 8 Cornhill and to the left of the old Grimwades shop when standing on the Cornhill!!
The Cornhill is all the space around & in front of the Town Hall. The little lane to the right of the Town Hall is Lion Street - it starts at the Golden Lion.
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 10:00 BST (UK) »
You can see some old photos of Grimwades and the places mentioned, but sadly not The Bell Inn if you go on to ebay postcards, Ipswich, cornhill. Earliest ay moment about 1905
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 13:26 BST (UK) »
You've been a great help, Hephzibah! Thanks, Hookleg! It's a shame there are no pics of the Bell Inn. The Grimwade's building appears to have replaced not only the inn but the two properties next door to "Mannings" (inhabited by John Manning, wine merchant, in 1851). As it happens, my ancestor's wife was a Manning, but I don't know if she was related to John. There are some very attractive buildings in Ipswich - I was quite intrigued by the building spanning the entrance to Lloyd's Avenue!

If I could be a nuisance, where on Westgate Street was the "Barley Mow," in relation to the Town Hall? My ancestor ended up working for wine merchant William Jackson Chaplin in his cork manufactory attached to the "Barley Mow," not long after the fire, and it looks as if he might have been living in one of the attached buildings, possibly in Barley Mow Lane.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire