Author Topic: Where exactly was the Bell Inn, Cornhill (Ipswich)?  (Read 4242 times)

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where exactly was the Bell Inn, Cornhill (Ipswich)?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 September 20 12:06 BST (UK) »
The old Bell inn was pulled down in 1873, making way for the long-overdue widening of the eastern end of Westgate Street at Bell Corner. This was a condition imposed by the town council when the pub was sold, together with the adjoining house and shop on the Cornhill, occupied by a saddler and harness-maker named Fenn [Ipswich Journal (IJ), 19 April & 3 May 1873]. Another proviso favoured by the council [IJ, 11 & 25 Jan. 1873] was stipulated by the new owners — reputedly members of the temperance movement — when they resold the site on 30 June: that it should never again be used as a public house or for the sale of any exciseable liquors [IJ, 7 June]. The buyer was Brightwen Binyon, a Quaker architect who would design the Ipswich Corn Exchange six years later. His "perspective view of proposed new shops" had accompanied the particulars for the auction [IJ, 1 July 1873].

Demolition was delayed for a while [IJ, 16 Aug. 1873] but a new building was being erected by Mr Smith of St Clement's in January 1874, when his employee John Bates was injured badly enough by falling bricks to be taken to hospital and named in the newspaper [IJ, 17 Jan.]. White's 1874 directory of Suffolk shows that tailor William Poole was then installed at 1 Westgate Street.

In 1879 the tailor's business was transferred to John Henry Grimwade (1848-1929) [IJ, 13 Sept.]. His father, Richard Grimwade, had been a tailor, draper, outfitter etc. in Westgate Street since 1845 [IJ, 29 Nov.], having moved there from 2 Cornhill [IJ, 2 May 1846]. He was eight or nine doors from the Cornhill at 16 Westgate Street (now Marks & Spencer, on the south-western corner of Providence Street) before financial problems caused him to leave in 1866 [Suffolk Chronicle (SC), 17 Nov. 1866 + London Gazette, 24 Jan. 1868]. John Henry Grimwade is listed at 48 Westgate Street in Kelly's 1869 county directory but by the time of the 1871 census he was living at 39 Westgate Street, where he remained until 1879 [IJ, 19 April].

The young man wearing a top hat in the first of several images published online by the Ipswich Star on 17 May 2018 in David Kindred's "Days Gone By: The history of Grimwades..." is presumably J. H. Grimwade, standing on the doorstep of his Westgate Street shop, perhaps c.1870. The fifth picture in that article, with the name Trundle above the saddlery at 4 & 6 Cornhill (where Grimwade's property was extended in 1904) is dated 1897. However, within five months of James Strachan Trundle's death in April 1891 his 46-year-old business was bought by William Claridge & Co. [East Anglian Daily Times, 12 Sept. 1891] so this photograph was probably taken c.1890, shortly after the construction of the ornate columns of what is now Lloyds Bank on the northern side of the Cornhill. In the next image (captioned "Westgate Street, Ipswich, around 1910, with Grimwades shop at the corner of the Cornhill") the sign-board of H. Fenn projects from 1a Westgate Street, where saddler Henry G. Fenn is listed in Kelly's 1908 directory of Suffolk while John Henry Grimwade & Son are at 1 Westgate Street as well as 2, 4 & 6 Cornhill.

Prior to the remodelling of 1873-74, Henry George Fenn was at 2 Cornhill [1871 census + SC, 17 Aug. 1867]. These premises were affected by the fire in 1854 [IJ, 7 Oct.] when they were occupied by George Cresswell (1821-1905), a perfumer and hairdresser, who was there from 1844 to 1859 [SC, 13 April 1844 & 13 Aug. 1859]. His name is illegible in most of the available copies of the photograph posted here by Willie RD (Reply #15) but can be seen very clearly (albeit with the initial F. rather than G.) in a painting uploaded to Twitter in 2018 by Ipswich Museums. Although dated 1842, it apparently portrays the Cornhill of the early 1850s, after Richard Taylor had replaced Edmund Ager at the old Waterloo House [IJ, 2 Feb. 1850 & 8 March 1851] which had been abandoned in 1842 by Footman & Co., who moved to the new Waterloo House in Westgate Street [IJ, 24 Sept. 1842].

Robert Lionel Cross (1919-1977), a former Chief Executive Officer of Ipswich Borough Council, collected a great deal of material on the history of the Cornhill for his book, The Living Past — A Victorian Heritage. His daughter Pippa Cross and Ipswich Borough Council have kindly consented to my sharing the attached extracts. Among them is part of Edward White's 1849 map showing the boundaries of the properties near Bell Corner. The shops in Westgate Street are not identified but the Golden Lion is marked on both this map and the 1975 plan naming Mannings and Grimwades, so 2 Cornhill would be the second plot from the corner in 1849 and on the corner itself in 1975.

David

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 September 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
Wow, David, that's an amazing amount of detail you've provided, thank you! The map excerpt is particularly useful as it shows the individual buildings. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any reproductions of old maps of Ipswich available commercially (from my usual source, at any rate, which I probably wouldn't be allowed to name here in case it's considered to be advertising). It's a pity as Ipswich has, I now know, changed massively since my ancestor's time there, and a contemporary map really helps to give a feel for how the place looked.

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 September 20 13:44 BST (UK) »
That does seem to be the best plan ...

Borin Van Loon's Ipswich Historic Lettering website features several old maps of Ipswich, but apparently only one dating from the 19th century, issued by Edward E. White in 1867. The original is held by the Suffolk Record Office in Ipswich (closed until next year), as is the more detailed 1849 version, which I've seen only in Robert Cross's book. Here is his full page, covering the town centre between the Corn Hill and the Cattle Market, including the Bee Hive.

Both editions are mentioned in Suffolk County Council's Suffolk Heritage Explorer:

"Edward White’s 1867 map of Ipswich shows all the area within a mile’s radius of the Cornhill, Ipswich and is available on open access. His printed 1849 ‘Detailed plan of Ipswich’ on the scale 60 yards to 1 inch 2160:1, measures 136 cm x 121 cm. This map is not available on open access. There are three copies of the map (ref. X6/11/2.1, HD 12:53/3/1 & HD 477/11). This is the only map that labels public buildings to distinguish them from private houses and then employs different shading for substantial outbuildings, temporary outbuildings manufactories, shed or open buildings and conservatories. In addition to these features various properties owned by 40 named proprietors are marked with their initials and these are listed at the foot of the map."

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 September 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
The 1849 map sounds like an absolute goldmine for genealogists, or any other historical researcher for that matter! Are copies of Robert Cross's book still available to buy, or was it a limited run, do you know? I had already come across Borin Van Loon's website which is absolutely fascinating, and at one stage was the only place I could find images from old maps of Ipswich, but it's not quite the same as having your own copy. I have amassed a fair collection of large scale reproduction OS maps over the past few years and they are invaluable when you are trying to locate an ancestor's home using the addresses supplied in the census returns. These days motorways and post-war developments have all but eradicated some of those places, or the names of the streets have been changed for one reason or another.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 September 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
I used Google Earth to look at Westgate Street a couple of years ago, and I would hazard a guess that my ancestor's house was probably situated roughly where the right hand side of the Grimwade building (the bit with the upper section painted red) adjoins the Georgian-looking building housing the H.Samuel and Holland and Barrett shops today, though I'm not sure how far the Grimwade building extended over the original floor plan of the Bell Inn.

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 September 20 20:20 BST (UK) »
The book has long been out of print but you may be lucky enough to find a secondhand copy. Feel free to PM me for look-ups etc.

When "The Bell" and Henry Fenn's premises were advertised for sale in 1873, it was envisioned that the site would have frontages of 50 feet 4 inches on Westgate Street and 21 feet 8 inches on the Cornhill, after the widening of the roadway (e.g. Ipswich Journal, 19 April, page 3, column 5).

The previous year, it was reported that a surveyor named Catchpole had prepared some elaborate plans. He proposed that between six and seven feet would be taken for the widening, and there would be "a shop next to Mr. Hamblin's with 15 feet frontage, then the Bell to be carried to a considerable height with bar parlour in Westgate Street and bar on the Cornhill, with a private entrance next to Mr. Trundle's" (IJ, 13 Feb. 1872, p. 2 col. 4).

Mr Hamblin had also been named in an auction notice in 1867 (Suffolk Chronicle, 17 Aug., p. 4, col. 3):

THE capital well-frequented TAVERN, known as the
BELL INN, and AMERICAN STORES, admirably
situate at the corner of Cornhill and Westgate Street,
Ipswich ; also the FISHMONGER'S SHOP and
DWELLING-HOUSE adjoining, as the whole is in the
occupation of Mr. J. R. Simpson.

The Commodious PREMISES adjoining being No. 3,
WESTGATE STREET, IPSWICH, now in the occupation
of Mr. Hamblin, Boot and Shoe Maker.

The Capital FRONT SHOP, DWELLING-HOUSE,
and PREMISES, being No. 2, CORNHILL, IPSWICH,
in the occupation of Mr. H. Fenn, Saddler and Harness
Maker.

Robert Hamblin had been there (opposite Waterloo House) since 1856 (SC, 5 April, p. 1, col. 1).

David

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 September 20 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your offer, David. There isn't a great deal of solid information available about the Bell Inn online, and what there is of it tends to be conflicting, which is quite frustrating. You've actually provided some of the most reliable information I've had on it so far. Presumably, by 1869, the pub landlord was the Mr Simpson mentioned in the auction notice, and I would assume that he also ran the fishmonger's (though perhaps he hired an assistant to serve the customers in the shop). I've not been able to find out who the landlord was in the 1850s, unfortunately. My ancestor, Charles Newton, was a cork cutter by trade, and so it's possible that he might have had a business arrangement with the proprietor of the Bell Inn. There is no mention in the newspaper reports of what caused the fire on Charles's premises in 1854, but I would guess that it might have been either stray sparks from a brazier in his workshop, or stacked cork bark that hadn't been properly doused after charring.

The auction notice is intriguing - on the 1849 map, the Bell Inn has a rather peculiar shape, so was the fishmonger's shop that strange bit with the mini courtyard facing on to Cornhill, or was it the building to the right of the Bell, on Westgate Street, that dovetails into the side wall of the pub, I wonder? The latter building may have been the one occupied by my Charles Newton originally, though unfortunately the address of the building was never given in any of the news reports of the fire, only that it was next door to the pub, and in Westgate Street. Given that the pub and the buildings immediately surrounding it on the corner site all appear to have shared one large rear courtyard, it's not surprising that the fire was able to spread to so many of the other shops fairly rapidly.

It would be interesting to find out if builder/developer John Pell had a hand in this particular street-widening project, as I know he was involved in the widening of Butter Market and Carr Streets at some stage. John Pell was related through marriage to Charles's wife, Priscilla Miller nee Manning, and I have discovered he had a finger in many pies.

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 September 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
"J. R." Simpson in the 1867 auction notice must be Thomas Roper Simpson, who is listed at the Bell in Kelly's 1865 Suffolk directory, but not as a fishmonger. He is correctly named as a landlord in CAMRA's Suffolk Pubs Guide, unlike Samuel Smith (1844), who may have been confused with Samuel Smyth of the Golden Lion. White's 1844 directory puts Samuel Mullett at the Blue Bell (as the Bell used to be called).

Samuel Mullett, late landlord of the Bell Inn, Cornhill, was mentioned by the Suffolk Chronicle (SC) in 1847 [1 May]. He was apparently succeeded by Samuel Berry, who had to sell his entire furnishings, fixtures and stock (alcohol, cigars etc.) as a bankrupt in 1848 [SC 3 June].

William B. Head, the innkeeper in the 1851 census, was there by 1849, when he was fined for harbouring "several notoriously bad characters" [Ipswich Journal (IJ) 13 Oct.]. He was described then as William Beache Head, landlord of the "American Stores," late the "Bell" Inn, Cornhill, although his middle name is Beachy in an advertisement placed in 1856, after he had taken the Victoria Hotel in Berners Street [SC 1 Nov.].

Samuel Mullett resurfaces in 1852 as owner of the American stores, complaining to the local council about his flooded cellar, and a similar complaint came from Mr Harris, landlord of the Bell Inn, Cornhill [IJ 3 April]. I suppose they were both referring to the same cellar, as Thomas Harris was evidently at the American Stores until he relinquished the business a few months later. Like Samuel Berry's in 1848, his auction notice [IJ 30 Oct. 1852] itemised a long list of furniture, fixtures, utensils, wine and spirits, as well as foreign and British cigars, porter, stout, ales, vinegar, &c.  I emphasise the cigars because I think the indistinct words below the bell in the attached photograph could be:

DEALER in
British & Foreign
CIGARS

Jamaica rum and "Foreign Havannahs" were among the goods specified in 1848, potentially explaining why the establishment was named after the Americas.

I don't know whether the aforesaid Samuel Berry was the broker S. Berry of Orwell Place, Ipswich, who wanted to hear from creditors and debtors of Thomas Harris (late of the American Stores, Cornhill) by January 1853 [IJ 18 Dec. 1852].

William Suthers is at the Bell in White's 1855 directory and is quite likely to have been there at the time of the fire in September 1854. He had certainly moved in by November of that year, when Mary Ann Smith, a habitual drunkard, was charged at Ipswich Police Court [IJ 2 Dec.] but he went to the nearby Corn Exchange Tavern by 1858 [East Suffolk Mercury, 28 Aug.] and Thomas Rackstraw is at the Blue Bell, Cornhill, in Kelly's 1858 directory [p. 643].

Essex-born William Spinks and his wife Victoria (m. 1859) were there in 1861, possibly remaining until the arrival of Thomas Roper Simpson, who was still the innkeeper in 1871 and may have been the tenant who had "bolted and taken away everything he could lay his hands upon", leaving the Bell empty in 1873 [IJ 11 Jan.]. Samuel Mullett was then negotiating with the town council to sell the Bell, together with an adjoining butcher's shop and the saddlery, having become the sole owner of all those properties by 1872 [IJ 27 April].

I can't say I've come across John Pell before. Nor can I throw any new light on the cause of the fire in September 1854, beyond observing that health and safety in the Victorian era of candles and oil lamps depended more on common sense than regulations. The Ipswich Journal stated on 7 October that Mr Batley's house was on the western side of Mr Newton's and that Mr Scrivener, a tobacconist, "occupies the shop next to Mr. Newton's". Two Westgate Street tobacconists are listed in Whites' 1855 directory [p. 142]: F. Scrivener (cigar manufacturer, living in High Street) and Joseph Bird, who is enumerated in the 1851 census between innkeeper William B. Head and plumber & glazier Henry B. Batley.

Henry Baring Batley had come to 3 Westgate Street (three doors from the Cornhill) in 1846 [SC 4 July 1846 & IJ 9 March 1850]. He appears to have let a shop and dwelling house at that address "with good Warehouses, and a large paved Yard" [SC 17 Feb. & 31 March 1849] initially (very briefly) to Thomas Wild, a fruiterer, in 1849 [SC 17 Feb. & IJ 24 Feb.] and a few years later to Mr Scrivener, the tobacconist [SC 17 Dec. 1853].

If the even numbers were on the opposite side of the road, this would suggest that Charles Newton was at 1a Westgate Street, perhaps taking the place of Joseph Bird after he had moved a few doors along in 1853 [IJ 27 Aug.]. But the numbering system seems to have been different in the 1850s. I hope to learn more about it soon.

David

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 September 20 16:12 BST (UK) »
The Bell seems to have had a rather high turnover of landlords one way and another, and from what you've said I get the definite impression that it tended to attract the less salubrious customers. Maybe this is why so many of the landlords of the Bell went bankrupt. Presumably the more respectable and better-off folk preferred to frequent the Golden Lion. A couple of days ago, I also found the reference to William Suthers in White's 1855 Directory, and I see he was listed under Wine and Spirit Merchants as well as under Hotels, Inns and Taverns. Like you, I'm fairly sure he was in charge at the time of the fire. In 1844 he was, surprisingly, listed as a haberdasher, and toy and fancy ware dealer.

A little confusingly, there's a mention of an EDMUND Mullet being publican of the Bell Inn, Cornhill, as well as Fishmonger and General Dealer, when he was adjudged bankrupt in March 1865: I would assume from this that he was related to the previously mentioned Samuel. George William Bales is listed as Fishmonger and Game Dealer, Cornhill, in both the 1844 and 1855 White's. It's all quite a tangle.

I found the second more detailed auction notice (Ipswich Journal, dated 23 March 1850) advertising the sale of Henry Batley and Asher Barnard's premises and they were both fairly substantial properties. Batley's shop was 19ft by 16ft, and Barnard's 34ft by 16ft. (Barnard also had three large warehouses attached to his property.) Annoyingly, Batley's shop is the only one that appears to have been mentioned consistently by number in directories, etc, so we're not much further with the numbering of the street at that date. Even the Ipswich Electoral Registers are unhelpful as they only give the name of the street and the parish in which the qualifying property lies. Between 1855 and 1857, Charles yo-yos between properties in Westgate Street, Globe Lane alias St. George's Street, and High Street, with nary a number between them. Oh, for a fire insurance plan, or similar, with the properties' numbers attached! I've not yet come across any pre-1850 auction notices for Charles's premises next to the Bell which is a shame, as they're brilliant for giving an idea of the size and extent of the property.