Author Topic: Where exactly was the Bell Inn, Cornhill (Ipswich)?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where exactly was the Bell Inn, Cornhill (Ipswich)?
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hookleg, that link is brilliant, thank you. It fills in a lot more of the story on the Barley Mow for me and explains where Barley Mow Lane is, too. I had already established that Chaplin had taken over the pub from Henry Fowell's widow, and I knew it had been put up for sale at the end of 1857 because of Chaplin's unexpected death after a bad fall (which cleared up for me the mystery of why my ancestor suddenly returned to London, his native city, around 1858), but not much more than that. It seems to have been a pretty substantial property! Also, while scrolling down to find the entry on the Bell Inn, I've discovered that the landlord and lady of the Bee Hive pub in the 1840s were Chaplin's in-laws, Thomas and Mary Ann Crisp, which was a definite plus, as no mention was made of Thomas's occupation in the announcement of his daughter's marriage. Thomas is described as "clothier of London Road" in 1844, which sounds very upwardly mobile, though the pub book says he was a clothes-broker, which smacks more of a second-hand dealer in clothing.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 20:22 BST (UK) »
Glad it was useful.

Did you see the previous post about the photos plus links? If you scroll down you see a modern update for the Barley Mow site.

I have often found links by looking in unexpected places too. Good hunting.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
Yes I did, thanks. It's lovely to build up a full picture of our ancestors' lives. I've been struggling to dig up anything much about my Charles Newton's time in Ipswich for years now, then about a month ago I came across an entry for him in the 1855 Suffolk Directory, and since then the discoveries have just kept coming. It's been the most incredible journey although a little sad, as my dad, who would have revelled in these new findings, died just before Christmas last year.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 May 16 22:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear of your loss. With the passing of each treasured soul we lose such a wealth of knowledge. I have recently taken over the role of village recorder and just wish someone had started doing it 20 years or more ago as so many people who had an intimate knowledge of people and places have sadly passed away. I am taking photos of most of the houses in the area and where possible trying to collect stories from people who have local memories. What is current today may be useful to someone in the future. I would recommend that every one does some small bit of archiving as well as researching their own tree. That's how we have managed to get your info.
All the very best.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 May 16 09:53 BST (UK) »
I so agree with you, Hookleg. Families aren't just about the people in them, they're also about the places that formed them, and in the past, where you grew up often determined the job you did. Someone will bless you in the future for the work you're doing: once a building has gone, the history goes too.

I don't think there's ever been a family historian who's not said "I wish I'd asked my parents/grandparents more questions about my family when I was younger." Fortunately, both of my parents, and my mother's brother, wrote down what they could remember of their early lives some years ago, and those reminiscences will be invaluable in years to come.

Offline Willie RD

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 May 20 12:37 BST (UK) »
Little place in the middle

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 May 20 07:56 BST (UK) »
That's a great photo WilliRD - and welcome to Rootschat.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 May 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Willie - that's the best pic of the Cornhill I've seen yet. Most of the images I've come across of it tend to be rather blurry and poor quality. It's a shame no one ever seems to have taken a pic of the Bell Inn from the Westgate Street side.