Author Topic: famous !!!  (Read 8169 times)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: famous !!!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 October 04 15:09 BST (UK) »
;D          kazza,
                             When you find this murderer will you tell us all  ? ?  ?

or will you keep him too you self  ? ? ?
                                                               ;D
                                                keep searching ! :D

You can always pick your friends but relatives you cant. So no matter what even if you do have a nasty pasty in your family they are still blood. I dont see why any one would cover it up and keep it quiet, its not like you did the murder etc yourself.
Now for my bad boys, my fathers fathers brother was a phychopathic killer, and my other blood relative has done everything you could imagine, been to many prisons BUT never ever harmed any innocent people and that I can guarantee. I dont agree with what they did but its done and I cant change it, nobody can and why should I feel ashamed or bad just coz they are blood? Like I said I didnt do those things and they are still my blood relative.

Actually to tell you the truth Im more ashamed of other ancestors, I have one occupation as an Ivory Polisher :( and another a Whalebone Cutter :(

Oh and me I wagged school and went to a shopping centre and stole a chocolate bar when I was 12 and got in BIG trouble, I made up the excuse to the police that I got the chocolate bar for mum and dads anniversary (mum and dad were divorced!). Mum would never of known but the police INSISTED they take me home in their police car. I was sprung big time

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 October 04 18:39 BST (UK) »
I had two Yarwood brothers who stole a length of cloth and were deported to Australia, and another Yarwood was found on the Black Sheep Index in 1881, but I don't know what he did.  As he was a Blacksmith he was probably done for being drunk in charge of an Anvil and Bellows.

Su  PS. I am back home after nearly a month away...Yippee ! 
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 October 04 19:36 BST (UK) »
It's good to have you back Su  ;D

I found a couple of Baxendales on the Black Sheep site, but rather than pay, i'll check them out next time i,m at the library and scan the newspapers.

And i was once too caught stealing. I was about 7-8 at the time.  The local greengrocer had all his fruit out side his shop on a big table.  There i was on my hands and knees crawling under the table and reaching up to nick a pear.  what i did'nt know was my mum was across the road in another shop watching me.   All i heard was " what do you think you ARE doing"  she dragged me into the shop and made me appologise.  Then gave me a sweeping brush and i was made to sweep the shop floor every day for a week as punishment.  I think it's the only time she never clouted me for doing something wrong, but boy did i learn my lesson well!   ::)
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Minn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 October 04 08:07 BST (UK) »
Well I don't know about famous, but my father used to say years ago that we had an executioner in the family way back & I always had a mental picture of a chunky hairy man in black leather with a big axe. When I finally got round to finding out about the ancestors, all I could find along those lines were a Magistrate who had sentenced to death 8 or 9 old women for being witches, & a Lord Chief Justice who had sentenced to death Sir Walter Raleigh, Mary Queen of Scots & a few  others. Does that count??

Minn
BROGRAVE - Norfolk
RYE - Hopton
LONG - Wiltshire/Somerset 
BROUGHTON/ GOODDY- Bawtry/Loversall CRESSWELL - Plymouth 
FOWLES - London 
DANIEL - Gloucester 
BARKER/STREET - Yorkshire
HAWKER - Kings Stanley
WARD - Cheltenham

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 October 04 18:25 BST (UK) »
When I was a child in the 1950's I was led to understand that "Machine Gun" Jack McGurn one of Al Capone's henchmen ws a distant cousin.

Found out few years later he wasn't. Just an Italian who trawled through Chicago telephone directory for a good old Irish name.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 October 04 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thens there's the maternal side. Some members of the family are convinced that the late Mr Justice Stables was my grandmother cousin.

Very much doubt it even though one of his sons, who are both judges, changed his name to Owens (another link with the family).

Think it was just because of the name and was to counteract the gangster.

Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 October 04 08:20 BST (UK) »
According to a genealogy book I have on Tracy line one of my ancestors was King Cerdic, a king of Wessex in the 500's and one of his decendents was Egbert, first King of All England and somewhere in there is  Alfred the great as a direct ancestor. Then I have a Princess and a Gov. of Va. (A "Sir" Tracy) and a Witch burned in Salem, Mass.  All that prestige but No MONEY!!!
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 30 October 04 08:25 BST (UK) »
I had a friend who started her family genealogy and one of the first things she discovered was her grandmother was Never married.  My friend quit right then.
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 30 October 04 09:26 BST (UK) »
Minn - Sir John Popham, to whom you may be referring, was indeed Lord Chief Justice at the second trial of Sir Walter Raleigh but at the time of the second and final trial of Mary Queen of Scots he was Attorney-General.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk