Author Topic: Arthur White, Royal Engineers, Rank Sapper, Regimental Number 71683  (Read 441 times)

Offline BoBo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Arthur White, Royal Engineers, Rank Sapper, Regimental Number 71683
« on: Wednesday 18 May 16 16:10 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me fill in the blanks!
I recently helped a friend clear her Aunts & Uncles home and we came across 4 medals.  Two were from the Boar War and two from WW1. Both were for A White.  With Rootschats help I discovered that A White was Arthur White born 18th May 1878 in Fetcham, Surrey.  He enlisted on the 6/7/1897 and joined the 3rd Battallion Grenadier Guards.  I have his service details, again thanks to you fantastic people, and know that he left the army on the 7/7/1909 after serving in South Africa and thus gaining the two medals we found.  At this point my search goes cold as the next pair of medals are also for A White and the only record I have found is a WW1 Medal roll index card for an Arthur ( probably is the same person) White , Royal Engineers Corp, Spr 71683.
Now I know that his older brother George White was also in the army and was in the 7th Hussars and served in South Africa.  He too even though he was in his late 40's enlisted in WW1 and became a colour Sergeant Major.  From this information I can only assume that the Arthur White on the WW1 medals must be the same as the Arthur White who received the two South Africa medals.  Help!!
Can anyone help me fill in the gaps.  Did Arthur marry and if so to whom?  Also did he have any children?  These medals were found in my friend's Aunt & Uncles home.  They appeared to be treasured by the way they were stored and I can only assume that they were a relatives medals but who I do not know.  Their surnames were Turner & Sayers.
I would be grateful for any help.  One thing I think I found was Arthur's death and that was in 1965.  I could be wrong.
Many thanks
BoBo
UK - Dunn, Lands, Knight, Wickes, Hawkins, Rumbelow, Low & Jolly
Malta - Camilleri, Aguis Delicata, Sciberras & Navarro

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur White, Royal Engineers, Rank Sapper, Regimental Number 71683
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 19:38 BST (UK) »
His Ww1 record does not appear to have survived. With the Guards you can always pay £30 to their archivist who should have a bigger record than the four pages on Findmypast.

Regarding his record, on the first page says he was 19 and 2 months, while on the second page it says he was 19 and 7 months when he enlisted.

Ken