Author Topic: Letitia Sophia Davies (Davis ?)  (Read 936 times)

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Letitia Sophia Davies (Davis ?)
« on: Wednesday 20 July 05 20:56 BST (UK) »
Am trying to find a Letitia Sophia Davies who in 1868 in Workington Cumberland married a Joseph Whitfield, my great great Grandfather.  At the time of her marriage she was living in Bridge Street Workington, her father shown as Edward Davies deceased. a Furnace Worker (presumably in Iron Works) of which there were plenty in Wales and Cumberland.

She was supposedly 19 at the time of her marriage and apart from the 1871 census her age seems to suggest she was born circa 1854.  All Census show she was born in Swansea.

In 1886 she remarried a John Whitfield (my great great Grandfather's cousin) in Sculcoates, Yorkshire, her marriage certificate shows her to be a widow but to date have never found a death for her first husband Joseph Whitfield, family history seems to suggest that he left England for Australia, but I have no proof of this.

For several years I have been searching census for her and have drawn a complete blank.  Some census describe her as Lettia (with 2 t's), Letitia (with one 't') and Lettice but despite searching cannot find her.   On all census she maintained she was born in Swansea.

I would be grateful for any help to solve this mystery.

Regards, May

I would be grateful for any help in this mystery.

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Letitia Sophia Davies (Davis ?)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 05 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi May

It's not clear (at least not to me) what you are asking for help with here.

You wrote that

"For several years I have been searching census for her and have drawn a complete blank"

and then

"Some census describe her as Lettia (with 2 t's), Letitia (with one 't') and Lettice but despite searching cannot find her.   On all census she maintained she was born in Swansea"

Presumably therefore it is either just one particular census you can't find her in or maybe it's her birth you can't find.  If you could clarify I'll gladly see if I can come up with anything.

Regards

Caro

BROCKWAY: Glamorgan & Wiltshire
CROCK:Glamorgan, London, Surrey & North England
DIAMOND: Glamorgan & Taunton, Somerset
DOMONEY/DOMINEY: Dorset
HARVEY: Glamorgan
LATCHEM: Radstock, Somerset
PAGE: Glamorgan & Warwickshire
PLENTY: Glamorgan & Somerset
ROBERTS: Glamorgan & Radstock,  Somerset
RODERICK: Glamorgan
SANDERCOCK: Cornwall
SHAW: Glamorgan, Somerset & Devon
THOMAS: Glamorgan
VENNER: Somerset
WEBB: Glamorgan & Tufton, Hampshire
WRIVET/WREVET[T]: Cornwall

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 05 16:57 BST (UK) »
Caro

Thanks for your message, I agree my posting was a little untidy - sorry !

What I really meant was that I cannot find her on the 1861 on Ancestry, but I don't think that is complete.

I also cannot find her birth, despite sending off for several certificates with entries taken from the 1837 site, none have a father Edward.

If you have the 1861 census discs (not Ancestry) I would be so grateful if you could help to find her, Letitia Sophia Davies (Davis) with a father Edward, born circa 1859 (19 on her marriage in 1868 but who knows if this is correct) but on all census saying she was born Swansea.

Her marriage cert. shows her father as having been Edward Davies, deceased a Furnace Man.

In 1868 she was living in Workington, Cumberland when she married.

Grateful for any assistance.

Regards, Pauline

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 05 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

Regarding her age.

If she was 19 in 1868 then that would mean she was born circa 1849.  The 1871 census gives her age as 20 and her eldest child is 2.  If that is correct then she would have been about 18 in 1869 at the time of the birth of that child. I haven’t looked at later census records but I think it would be fair to estimate that she was born around 1850 give or take a year.   It is more likely that she knocked a few years off her age in later census records and told the truth in the earlier one.  It is possible that she was born circa 1854 or later, but  then she would have only been about 14 when she married in 1868 and about 15 when her first child was born in 1869.  I would think it’s far more likely that she knocked a few years off her age when she married her second husband.

As she was in Cumberland in 1868, we cannot assume she was definitely still in Glamorgan in 1861. We know her father was deceased in 1868 and it’s possible that the reason she can’t be found in 1861 is because her mother remarried and she has been listed under her step father’s name rather than her birth name.

I can’t find a Letitia Davies born Swansea circa 1850 in Glamorgan in 1861.  Nor can I find one in Cumberland. 

I have a couple of ideas to try, so haven’t given up hope yet, but need to go and cook dinner – so will get back to you later.

Caro

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 July 05 17:42 BST (UK) »
I meant to ask....

What are the names of the witnesses at the time of her marriage.  They may provide a clue that can find her in 1861.

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 July 05 17:48 BST (UK) »
Caro

Witnesses at marriage 1868 were John Mitchell and Maria (or Moira) Flood

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 July 05 17:51 BST (UK) »
Caro

There is a Maria Flood on the 1871, born Workington living Lorton, Cumberland.  Lots of John Mitchells in Cumberland.

Regards, Pauline