Author Topic: No paper trail  (Read 2423 times)

Offline donnap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No paper trail
« on: Thursday 19 May 16 01:24 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a runaway. We do not have any reliable record of his parents names. There is no paper trail to follow.
My father is willing to do a DNA test, would the y chromosome test be the best place to start?
Ancestry vs Ftdna, are they essentially the same? Is the cost the difference?

The more I read the more overwhelming it all becomes.
Thanks for any advice,
Donna.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: No paper trail
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 16 09:05 BST (UK) »

Ancestry DNA tests are all Autosomal; which looks at both sides of the family. They have a special offer on at the moment, - £79 instead of £99. FT does a 'Y' Test, - (just the male side). I guess that you just have to weigh up which would be the most useful.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
If you are going to do a test I would go with the company that is biggest and has the best reputation, which in my opinion is Family Tree DNA (who incidently do some of the tests for other companies too).

One thing to remember is very few people do DNA testing and most that do are Americans.

As you do not know anything of his parents and if you can afford it, it would be sensible to do both the yDNA (male line) and autosomal (all lines) tests to increase the chances of a match. Even then it will be a struggle to make matches and make take some time, of ever, but then again you could strike lucky as some people have.

Whatever you decide good luck.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 16 11:40 BST (UK) »
If it's only the paternal line you're interested in I would recommend a 37 marker test from Family Tree DNA. They do produce less expensive DNA tests but 37 markers is realistically the minimum level you need for it to be of much use.
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline donnap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 May 16 00:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comments, it's much appreciated. I have just 'clicked'/understood re autosomal test on ancestry, thanks for keeping it simple.
It's worth a try, I'll go for the 37 marker at FTDNA, we may have a bit of the Irish luck and find a clue. Cheers.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 May 16 09:48 BST (UK) »
If you sign up for a test with FTDNA it is worth joining their "Forums" as a lot of help is offered via them {by other members}

You can read the forums without "joining"  but you cannot post any queeries etc unless you are signed up

Kim

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 May 16 18:57 BST (UK) »
If you are on Facebook, the group DNA Detectives has a good number of people who really understand the DNA stuff and can offer help.

Once you get the results, you may want to look into transferring the results to GEDmatch (https://www.gedmatch.com/select.php), which is a free site that has people from various sites, so you may find more matches there.  This gives step-by-step instructions in how to transfer your results.  http://www.dnaadoption.com/uploads/DNAadoption/DNAadoption_files/UsingGedmatch.pdf 

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 May 16 21:28 BST (UK) »
......It's worth a try, I'll go for the 37 marker at FTDNA, we may have a bit of the Irish luck and find a clue. Cheers.

I'm also dealing with a 'no paper trail' situation and have been wondering about trying DNA testing. Would you let us know how it goes? I'd be interested in hearing if you think the test has helped you.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 May 16 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sami,

You might find this video useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uE1-PsdXcA

It gives a fairly brief overview of the main options for DNA testing.
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)