Author Topic: Gray family Leics/Notts  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Daffodilica

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gray family Leics/Notts
« on: Friday 20 May 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm trying to trace my Gray line. My great gran was Hetty Gray, born 1 Sep 1908, died Feb 1993 in Rugby, Warks. Her siblings were Israel (b. 1912), Montague, Margaret and possibly Joseph (no dates).

Their parents were Charles Gray (no details), and Catherine (1883 - 1970, died in Rugby, no details of maiden name).

Charles (from Hetty's marriage cert) was a hawker, and I know they travelled in Leics/Notts in a traditional gypsy van. Later they worked the markets, particularly in Leicester. Hetty married twice, first to Herbert Marshall, then to George Edward Wright, and Hetty and George had four children (my grandad was Charles Wright).

Can anyone link into their family? I'm particularly interested in tracing Charles Gray, but I have no details at all and can't find him in any official records. I know they stayed around Melton Mowbray, and my grandad was born in a village in Leics. Any help would be appreciated - I've looked at old posts about Gray families, but can't seem to link anything to my line.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gray family Leics/Notts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 16 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi I believe Charles was the son of Montague & Margaret Gray/Grey b c 1883 Carlton, Nottinghamshire, I would also suggest that Charles/Catherine had a son Montague b c 1906 Colchester, Essex and a Jonas/Jonah b c 1910 Nottinghamshire.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 16 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again, his baptism was:-

Charles GREY 12th January 1883 St Mary, Radcliffe on Trent Father Montague Mother Margaret

Keyboard86

Offline Daffodilica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks - that's really helpful! I've heard the name Jonas mentioned before so it sounds like it ties in. Could you let me know where you found the info, so I can have a look?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 May 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again, and apologies I forgot to welcome you to Rootschat!

All that I have located was found on FindMyPast, if you search the 1911 for a Charles GREY b 1883 Carlton, you are on your way!

Also Montague the father is difficult to locate prior, and looks to possibly not know exactly where he was born c 1831/5, I believe he could be the one in 1871 aged 37 occ Gipsy b Hertfordshire wife an Elizabeth Loveridge 38 shown as wife, with huge amount of Loveridge children with them at Pork Lane, Cople, Bedfordshire
Census Ref RG10/1545/76/25
Keyboard86

Offline Daffodilica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 May 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
That's great - I'll get searching. Thanks for your help!

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 May 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hello meant to reply to your other post yesterday. Old montague is a tricky guy who i have been looking at for a while. I think he is my ancestor via his son Alfred. Its interesting you have an Israel in your family as my 2xgg is also Israel he is the son of Alfred. Israel is a very popular name in the family still.
I still have not yet pinned where Montague comes from, he has used different names. He is Joseph Loveridge for the registration of his son Stephen, he is Hooky Loveridge for the marriage of his daughter Lavinia to Napolean Waterfield and Henry Gray. Also he used the name Smith for the christening in 1856 of his first 3 kids, Alfred, Despairs and Lavina (savina).This was in Cambridgeshire where the family do seem to spend a lot of time in those early years. I have wandered if the Loveridge name was Elizabeth's his first "wife". It is possible i guess he took the Gray name from Margaret but then why is he using it in the 1871 census.
\I would like to know what happened to Elizabeth, he had 3 more girls with her after the 1871, Elizabeth who was bn in 1875 and died in 1878 and Priscilla who was bn in 1873 then councie lettie who was bn in 1878 she seems to have married Woodlock Smith and died in 1955.
By the 1881 Montague is with Margaret and they have Monty jnr. Priscilla and Councie are with there big brother Despairs and his partner Chrysane Smith in Cambridgeshire. So what happened in those 3 years, i can not work out where Elizabeth went. Did she die so he took up with Marg and the youngest 3, Stephen, Priscilla and Councie end up with Despairs.
By the way i have found some newspaper articles of Montague in Northants, he was mentioned in one with a Dozer Gray do you know who he might be.
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 May 16 09:48 BST (UK) »
By the way could your Hetty have been Amberetta as in the 1911 census. Also i have a copy of Montague's death cert he died in 1915 if you would like to see it, are you on Ancestry i could find you and share it.
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire