Author Topic: Rev. Robert Hogg of Roxburgh  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Grisel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Robert Hogg of Roxburgh
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 May 16 00:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do have the births for all the children. And the death for Vair/Veronica.  But I was more worrying about heading the other way - finding a birth for Robert.  Now that I have his age from the Fasti, the births in Roxburgh look better: 1705 parents Alexander & Bessie, or 1708 parents William & Bessie. 
The copy of the Fasti Ecclesiae on Ancestry doesn't have all the info that GR2 can see.  I don't see all the children mentioned - just three of his daughters.  Are there different versions/publication dates out there?
Great to have suggestions and help from everyone!
I have been googling all day and never found that list of ministers that Ian has pointed out. 
Several sets of eyes are better than one!

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 May 16 00:19 BST (UK) »
If you click on the link in my last post and look at page 87 of volume two, you'll get the details of his children and their marriages.

Offline Grisel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 May 16 03:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for pointing that out GR2 - I'll have a look at it.  That should help a lot.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
Robert HOGG's gravestone reads:
'Sacred to the memory of the Revd Robert Hogg late Minister of the Gospel in Roxburgh who died 2.2.1781 in the 77th year of his age and the 46th of his Ministry also his daughter Christian Hogg who died at Sunlaws Hill 4.8.1834 aged 79 years.'
My dog-walk will probably take me past the church on Friday, so I can take a photo if you like.
His daughter Charlotte's MI:
'Sacred to the memory of Charlotte Brown who departed this life 22.11.1836 aged 85(?) years relict of William Brown Esq. and third daughter of the Revd Robert Hogg.'
Another interesting plaque (possibly erected by the Revd Robert Hogg to commemorate his ancestors?) reads:
'Here lyes a family of the name of Hogg that has resided in this parish as heretofor more than 600 years as old records do attest were portioners both in Upper and Neither Roxburgh until about 1725. Here lyes William Hogg portioner and Jean Seaton his spouse. John Hogg portioner and Varona Ker his spouse. Alexander Hogg and Betty Mein his spouse'.
Is he naming the three previous generations, I wonder, the most recent being his parents, Alexander and Bessie?
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
Answering my own question in previous post-
Alexander HOG and Bessie MEIN were married 27th April 1702 in Roxburgh. They christened 9 children there:
John 24.11.1702, Vair 12.3.1704, Robert 30.12.1705, William 22.2.1708, Alexander 7.1.1711, Barbarie 1.10.1712, Agnes 6.2.1715, Bessie 10.3.1717 and Andrew 14.6.1719.
Going back one generation, I can't see a marriage for John Hog and Vair KER but they christened children at Roxburgh from 1660:
Thomas 13.2.1660, William 24.6.1661, Johne 30.7.1662, Robert 4.12.1665, Jean 9.1.1668, Andro 15.8.1669,Christina 14.9.1671, Alexander 31.1.1676, Andrew 23.6.1677.
William Hog and Jean SEATON were married in Kelso on 4th September 1608. They christened an un-named child in September 1625 at Roxburgh, but Roxburgh baptismal registers only begin in 1624, so any previous children they christened are unrecorded.
regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram

Offline Grisel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 22:12 BST (UK) »
That's amazing, Lesley.  I was just looking at the transcription of the "three-generation" plaque again today, and it had only just occurred to me that that's what it might be.  The dates certainly line up, don't they?  I am glad you pointed out that the birth records only began in 1624, because I was wondering if they had only had one child, or just hadn't registered any others.

I would be really pleased to see photos of those stones - I just have a transcription off someone's family website.

I am wondering if Vair/Vairona Ker was a daughter of Sir Thomas Ker that lived in the area at that time. Vair seems to be a name that is in the Ker family; several of Vair's Hogg descendents used it as well.

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 May 16 14:21 BST (UK) »
You may well be right, Grisel, about Vair Ker. Sir Thomas Ker of Redden married Jean Ker, daughter of James Ker of Chatto, and Ancestry indicates that Sir Thomas Ker and Jeane Ker had a daughter called Vair, baptised at Sprouston, Roxburgh on 11 August 1636. Johne Hog married Wair Ker at Kelso on 7th  Feb 1659.

Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 May 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
I would agree that Vair Ker appears to be the daughter of Sir Thomas Ker of Redden (who was knighted at Dunfermline in 1633). Burke's (1898) says that Thomas of Redden was the son of William Ker of Ancrum by Margaret daughter of Alexander Dundas of Fingask.

Grisel, I will send you a PM with my email address so I can get yours, to be able to send photos without Rootschat's size restrictionRegards,

Lesley
Webster- Northowram

Offline Grisel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 May 16 23:06 BST (UK) »

Yes, I think it makes sense.  Glad others agree!

Broken another brick wall  :)