Author Topic: Rev. Robert Hogg of Roxburgh  (Read 5318 times)

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Robert Hogg of Roxburgh
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 12:56 BST (UK) »
That’s amazing Lesley. Thank you so much for the photos. Wonderful to see.

Homebank is next to Birgham, yes.

That would certainly be my interpretation of “in the 78th year of his age” but I always have to pause and think for a moment.

The family seem to be connected to Elwartlaw next to Greenlaw, Homebank near Birgham and Kersmains north of Roxburgh. I see from Scotlands Places the family were paying horse tax and also Alexander paid Clock and Watch tax at Homebank in 1797-1798.

Thanks again for the photos, it certainly adds weight to the Fasti being incorrect on the date of death.

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 13:08 BST (UK) »
And while we’re having a bit of a language discussion.

Here is the death notice for Homebank Alexander’s son Alexander in 1851.

I confuse myself every time I read it trying to work out if ‘tenant of Homebank’ refers to the father or son.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 19:55 BST (UK) »
I think I would plump for Alexander senior being the former tenant of Homebank.

Your William Hogg 1809 of Kelso married Mary of Roxburgh, as far as I can gather from your posts. What was Mary's surname before marriage?

Lesley

Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 20:51 BST (UK) »
Mary Waldie

In 1861 William and Mary were living in Kersmains.

I know William’s parents were Andrew Hogg and Elizabeth Davidson. The Andrew is a bit of a mystery. I’ve been exploring other Hogg’s in the area to see where he could maybe fit in and focusing on the areas I know they lived.

One candidate is Alexander’s son Andrew who was born January 1785 at Kersmains. Elizabeth (Betty) Davidson was born October 1782.

The names of William’s and his sister Elizabeth’s children do contain an Isabel, Alexander and Robert - but so do most of the families at that time! Alexander’s Andrew died in 1838 which fits in with my line.

I don’t think this Andrew is the right one but I did spend some time exploring the possibility. I haven’t eliminated him completely but my Andrew is described as a Farm Steward and Land Steward on the death certificates of William and Elizabeth and Alexander’s Andrew was tenant at Birgham Haugh,  I also have his will (well the inventory) and only his brother is named.