Author Topic: John Spencer, mariner? In 1784 Will of Robert Elmy, found Blythburgh, Southwold  (Read 504 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello All

Around the time of the 1785/1786 birth of George Hood, known as 'George Hood of Selby', Yorkshire, newspapers suggest that John Hood was on the London route, from or via Hull.

John Hood, Mariner of Selby was married to Jane by 1803, as Jane Hood aged 65, wife of John Hood of Selby Mariner was buried at Selby in August 1803.

26 December 1786 Leeds Intelligencer
HULL, December 21.
Coasters Sailed. ...
Leeds Packet, Hood ; ... for London.

29 December 1786 Stamford Mercury
HULL, Dec. 22.
Coasters Sailed. ...
Leeds Packet, Hood ; ... for London.

According to the Selby, Yorkshire, Register of Births for Elizabeth Turner 6th April 1795, regarding her mother Maudland Turner (nee Maudland Hood) it states:-

Morland Daur of John Hood of Selby mariner by Elizabeth his wife Daur of John Spencer of Scarbro' mariner.

John Spencer Mariner, mentioned in a Will, found Blythburgh
Regarding a John Spencer, Mariner, the following has been found in documents at Blythburgh near Southwold, Suffolk:-

"Robert Elmy, in 1784, bequeaths a sixteenth share in the brig John and Sarah to one daughter and the like portion in the brig Friendship to another, and his relative John Spencer, mariner, "by reason of my sincere and firm attachment to the Dissenters of Southwold", direct that £50, shall on his wife's death revert to the Trustees of the Meeting".

John Hood of Selby, Yorkshire, mariner was originally married to Elizabeth Spencer, daughter of John Spencer of Scarborough, mariner, I feel this could possibly be an interesting discovery, whether the John Spencers are the same (the one mentioned in a 1784 Will found at Blythburgh and the other of Scarborough when Maudland Hood was born about 1774), is still to be discovered?

Also interested please, in any Hood or Spencer burials in the Southwold area, before 1846?

Kind regards Mark