Author Topic: William Gardner of Lancashire & Londonderry  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Jan Marie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Gardner of Lancashire & Londonderry
« on: Monday 23 May 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
"William Gardner from Lancashire commanded a company within the walls of Londonderry in the siege of 1689.   His grandson Allen from Coleraine joined the British navy and attained the high rank of Admiral during the Napoleonic wars."

I am not sure the 2nd sentence is correct, but I am interested in this William who fought in the Battle of the Boyne in Londonderry. I am pretty sure we descend from him. Our family has very distinctive DNA and I wonder if anyone in Lancashire is related to this William and had their DNA tested? Or if ANY Gardner's in Lancashire have tested? Or if anyone knows the parents of this William b aft. 1600?

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Gardner of Lancashire & Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan Marie,

When I searched ' "William Gardner" Londonderry' there was a hit from Google Books giving his father's name as Theophilus:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hp3/

The book is
Proceedings of the 22nd International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences in Ottawa from August 18 to 23, 1996. -- Actes du 22e congrès international des sciences généalogique et héraldique à Ottawa du 18 au 23 août 1996. 
authors Claire Boudreau and Auguste Vachon. 
There seems to be quite a lot about the Gardner family in it.

Theophilus Gardner is in Debrett's Peerage (also in google Books as a free e-book). There is no mention of his son William, but it does say that Theophilus' great-grandson was Alan [sic] lord of the admiralty and rear-admiral.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jan Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 16 20:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Barbara, I knew Theopolus name but was dearly hoping somebody might know who he was and have some family farther back. Even more I am hoping any one of these Gardner's has had their DNA tested and we can see if we have a match. Just that alone would tell me a lot.
It's early and someone may answer yet.

Janet

Offline ramrecycle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Greetings. I am researching my Gardner ancestors in Northern Ireland and I saw this thread.

I'm a Gardner with an "N" haplogroup, which is very unusual in the UK. Happy to share more info.

Paul Gardner
Shoreview MN USA

Offline Jan Marie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, Please contact me directly at  re our DNA tests re Gardner

Jan Marie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline ramrecycle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jan Marie. The moderator removed your e-mail address. Since I just signed up for RootsChat, I see that I have to make three posts before I can use their personal messaging feature. So far I get an error message in trying to write a message. But if you have the ability to send me something, I will respond ASAP!

Paul

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

New members do not get full access to all functions including the PM function until they have made a couple of posts, which you now have. The email address was removed from the main forum because this is not the safe way to exchange email (if you need to) spammer were able to view the information and could have used it to spam the member we always have our members safety at heart.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ramrecycle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Just to continue the conversation for other interested parties...

My earliest known Gardner ancestor was James Gardner, born about 1779 in "Ireland" (no other data), believed to have arrived Philadelphia 1811 on the "Bellona" from Londonderry, and settled in Millersburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania.

My LivingDNA results as well as the general immigration trend at that time suggest he was from Northern Ireland/Ulster. After reviewing a Scots-Irish research guide, it seemed that the best strategy for narrowing my Irish search was to find concentrations of Gardners in available records on-line. Three locations emerged: Londonderry from the earliest days of the Ulster Plantation in the 1610s; Carrickfergus; and the Lisburn area. Descendants seemed to have spread out from there.

The Public Records Office of N.I. (PRONI) has a published genealogy of Gardners in the Carrickfergus area for which I have requested a copy. That might help me connect dots of descendants in that area and Belfast.

The Derry Gardners start with a William in 1615, and it appears that his son? was mayor by the 1660s. Of course, there was the eventual nobleman whose family ended up in Lancashire from this year as well.

My Y-DNA result from the "Big Y" test at Family Tree DNA is N-BY49960. Going backwards in time, the Y-DNA is N-BY49960>N-FGC14538>N-17113>N-FGC14542>N-L550. That puts me in a group of people who migrated from Finland perhaps 2000 years ago into Norway, then to Scotland with the Vikings, then to Ireland in the 17th century.

I have found another person in the haplogroup who is descended from Gardners in Glasgow in the 17th century, so my Gardner migrant to Ireland would be closely related to this group. Other associated surnames with close matches are Wilson and McLelland.

The N haplogroup is so unusual in Ireland (or the UK in general) that as more people are tested they will stand out clearly as a connection.

Paul Gardner
Shoreview MN USA

Offline ramrecycle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sarah. Understood.

Paul