Author Topic: Brighton St Nicholas  (Read 946 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Brighton St Nicholas
« on: Tuesday 24 May 16 16:39 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to check some christenings in this parish between 1800 and 1825. I want to know if they all give the same occupation and place of residence for the father.

I'm looking for
John Holden 26 April 1806
Henry Holden 12 June 1808
Sarah Holden 29 September 1811
Thomas Holden December 1815
Hannah Holden 11 May 1817
Thomas Holden 30 April 1820

The parents were James and Elizabeth. I am hoping that James is described as a blacksmith and the address "Little St James Street" is included in some or all of these.

Also is anyone able to check the parish registers for a pair of marriages in the 1840s?

Matt

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Brighton St Nicholas
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 17:16 BST (UK) »
Matt, have you bothered to look at Familysearch and the link I posted for you the other week on another lookup request thread? I appreciate you will have to wade through unindexed PR images but as the facility is there it isn't really fair to expect other RCers to do all your legwork is it?
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Jill on the A272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
The last two bapts have James as a blacksmith from Little James Street.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 01:18 BST (UK) »
Matt, have you bothered to look at Familysearch and the link I posted for you the other week on another lookup request thread? I appreciate you will have to wade through unindexed PR images but as the facility is there it isn't really fair to expect other RCers to do all your legwork is it?

Hi there

Yes I've been on that link however I didn't realise Brighton was on there. Can you send me the link again? Can I assume it covers all parishes?

Many thanks
Matt

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
If you type the place name in here - https://familysearch.org/catalog/search - and select the correct one, click search, then select Church Records in the results, scroll down the list and click on the church you are interested in (there are often transcripts and non-conformist chapels to in the list), scroll down the results showing what registers they have and if they have a "camera" icon on the right it means they can be browsed online.

Unlike many of their digitised records, Familysearch do not have a separate "collection" for Sussex PRs so you have to find them through the catalogue.  They don't have copies of all PRs for Sussex, but a good number.

Brighton St Nicholas are viewable from this page - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hop/.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:46 BST (UK) »
If you type the place name in here - https://familysearch.org/catalog/search - and select the correct one, click search, then select Church Records in the results, scroll down the list and click on the church you are interested in (there are often transcripts and non-conformist chapels to in the list), scroll down the results showing what registers they have and if they have a "camera" icon on the right it means they can be browsed online.

Unlike many of their digitised records, Familysearch do not have a separate "collection" for Sussex PRs so you have to find them through the catalogue.  They don't have copies of all PRs for Sussex, but a good number.

Brighton St Nicholas are viewable from this page - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hop/.

Hi

Many thanks for that and for the tip about the camera icon. I didn't know that the camera meant the images could be viewed online so that's great to know.

Thanks again

Matt