Author Topic: Birth in Turkey or Yannina (Ioannina) Greece  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Sue72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Turkey or Yannina (Ioannina) Greece
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 January 19 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Glenda
I'm new to the site and not found my way around yet. Thank you so much for replying to my post. I would really like to get in touch with Gina and Vicki.  I have lost touch with my Fathers side of the family, in fact lost touch with my Father after his remarriage.  My Father was very reticent about information from his childhood and I have many unanswered questions.  I was told that both my Fathers brother, Reggie (Reginald) and his elder sister who I knew only by the name of  Aunt Molly were well educated (Cheltenham for Molly and Eton for Reggie) but the money had run out by the time my Father was due to go to public school and he was sent to the local grammar school (I do not know where).  I was also told that my Fathers parents died when Henry (Tim) was 14 yrs old, as the baby of the family he was brought up by his elder sister Molly.  However, reading information from Vicki this is probably not the case as it seems the parents (my grandparents) died  when my Father was much older than 14 yrs old.  I would love to know more about my Fathers parents, where they lived.  I presume they moved to live in England.  I think he was a silk merchant, and also my grandmothers roots.  Do hope you can help.  I live in South Africa by the way!

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 08:06 BST (UK) »
Just let me know if I have written back to you. I haven't been on here for ages and in January had open heart surgery so maybe I havent. How do I do a"private" message to you to give you Gina's email address and her son also who now lives in Switzerland. Glenda

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 09:43 BST (UK) »
Glenda, Sue needs to write another post (minimum of 3) before she can send/receive personal messages.

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Sue72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Glenda. Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry to hear about your health issues. I also have not been on the site for a while. I would really appreciate  contact details for Gina. Not sure if you can private message me yet. Look forward to hearing from you.
Sue

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 21:40 BST (UK) »
ancestry.com has numerous records on him if you have access or can get access.

Offline Glenda46

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Barryd. We don't require anymore information. Just trying to connect "family" to "family" but not sure how to give Sue the private information to contact her family via this forum. I do see there is a Private Message option will try and sort that out.Thanks

Offline Fide et Fortitudine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 19:51 GMT (UK) »

Please let me know if anyone would like to know more about Levantine families and life.

Malcolm

Hi Malcom, I have recently discovered that I have Levantine roots too.  Namely in 18th and 19th Century Constantinople and earlier on the island of Chios.  Any tips on how to go about finding OPRs in Constantinople?  I mean pre-the establishment of the modern Republic of Turkey in 1923.  Online resources seem to be far and few between. 

I have already seen http://www.levantineheritage.com/ and it is indeed a wonderful website for general history, photos and personal recollections.  https://gw.geneanet.org/ also has an extensive and labyrinthine network of interconnecting family trees. The latter has been very useful to me. 

But now I need official records of births, marriages & deaths for Constantinople in the 1800s. ???
Fide et Fortitudine - By fidelity and fortitude
"I force nae freen" - I force no friend and fear no foe

Offline Fide et Fortitudine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 20:01 GMT (UK) »

The Zaccaria family - Zacharie when they turned to French - remained on Chios, but one son of Benedetto's was decapitated by the Turks in Izmir in 1345."

@ Malcom again, this tree might be relevant to you:

https://gw.geneanet.org/marmara2?lang=en&pz=mathilde&nz=d+andria&p=lydia&n=zacharie

I was trying to find a common link with my tree but haven't got that far yet. 

Fide et Fortitudine - By fidelity and fortitude
"I force nae freen" - I force no friend and fear no foe