Author Topic: Born in Heckingham Workhouse, Norfolk?  (Read 944 times)

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Born in Heckingham Workhouse, Norfolk?
« on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was called Ethel in her life time but we found at her death she was Mary Elizabeth. Her mother was Eliza Sturman and we think she may have been born in the workhouse. Her mother was from Poringland. Thanks. G

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
Re: Born in Heckingham Workhouse, Norfolk?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwaelodian,

Your post reads like a statement, are you looking for some help and if so what help do you need? 

Chris

Possible baptism:

St Faith Horsham Norfolk

Date: 5th May 1889

Mary Elizabeth Ethel Sturman

Mother: Eliza Sturman

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:32 BST (UK) »
Is this Mary Elizabeth Ethel's  baptism  -Bergh Apton is not far from Poringland

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939F-RDR4-G?i=237&wc=MXD1-16D%3A982211901%2C982211902%2C982268101%2C982219402%3Fcc%3D1823613&cc=1823613

The birth certificate should say where she was born.

1891 census

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22mary%20elizabeth%22~%20%2Bsurname%3Asturman~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Anorfolk~

Burgh-Apton, Norfolk,
Thurton Road,
Loddon registration district

Page Number    4
Registration Number    RG11
Piece/Folio    1963/110

John Sturman    Head    M    55    Gillingham, Norfolk, England
Harriet Sturman    Wife    F    53    Woodton, Norfolk, England
Henry Sturman    Son    M    27    Seething, Norfolk, England
John Sturman    Son    M    19    Seething, Norfolk, England
Herbert Sturman    Son    M    15    Seething, Norfolk, England
Eliza Sturman    Daughter    F    13    Seething, Norfolk, England

Moderator comment: edited for content. Please do not copy and paste information from commercial sites. You must transcribe what you see in the image.
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, both of you who have replied.  I somehow lost my first message.. if it comes twice, forgive me. I was explaining that although I have found quite a bit about my grandmother, it doesn't quite make sense. Known as Ethel throughout her life, it was a surprise for the entire family to find she was actually Mary Elizabeth.  I have located her in some census information ( 1891 being one). She is variously listed as foster child, boader or domestic.  It is clear her mother , Eliza Elizabeth Sturman lived with her, but my grandmother never knew this and had no idea  where she was born or who was her mother. Her mother was a domestic at the home of  people I heard referred to as Grandma and Granddad Foster, but they were not in our family. It is now also clear a brother, Waltham, also came to live with the Fosters. My grandmother, with whom I lived, did not appear to know Waltham was her brother. I was trying to unravel why the Foster family were so benevolent to Eliza Elizabeth and her children, and why is was kept secret. I set off researching my grandmother, to see what information I could find of her birth. I understand from a 93 year old aunt, her daughter, that her mother, Ethel, was born in the workhouse. Any help  reseach or  interpretation gratefully received. Thanks. N

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
You say it's clear that her mother Eliza Elizabeth Sturman lived with her but this was only on the 1891 census - and her mother wasn't born in Poringland (although Eliza Foster nee Sergeant was).

As from census details posted, her mother Eliza Elizabeth Sturman was bc.1868 Seething, Norfolk - birth reg'd Sept.1867 Loddon - dau. of John and Harriet.  They appear to have had an earlier daughter with this name born/baptised in 1861 who presumably died.

I see that Eliza Elizabeth Sturman married a David John Coffin in 1901 Hampshire with whom she had more children.

As to her previous children they all seemed to go by second names - Mary Elizabeth Ethel known as Ethel, Elsie Annie bc.1892 Epsom, Surrey known as Annie in 1901, and Thomas Waltham born 4/12/1898 (died 1976) known as Waltham.

Since James and Eliza Forster had no children of their own one can only assume that having had the care of the Sturman children from a young age/birth they loved them like their own and indeed the last census shows Elsie and Thomas as adopted.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 16 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, Annette.
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I am interested in all you say and have found, and am very grateful. I am sure the Fosters did look after the children with love, and she stayed a huge support for my grandmother through her many pregnancies and births. The census gives a cooler picture when I read the census description of boarder, etc. I wonder why no one ever told my grandmother and Waltham that Eliza Elizabeth was their mother.My aunt tells me now that her father, my grandmother's husband, made regular visits to Sturman's in Burgh Apton with money. She didn't know why. I had hoped find  a father for my grandmother, wondering if the link to the Sturmans was a son of the family who could have been her father. I will clearly never be able to find that data. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Still a bit of a mystery to me. Norma

Offline Gwaelodian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 May 16 19:04 BST (UK) »
PS. I didn't know Elsie and Waltham were adopted by granny Foster.  :) I met both people when I was very young. We called Annie aunt Annie, but we were told she wasn't a real aunt. Ditton 'uncle' Walt. There was ALSO an Elsie in the family where Waltham lived. She is still alive, so it won't be the same Elsie.