Author Topic: Catholic marriage in 1872 in Merthyr Tydfil  (Read 924 times)

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catholic marriage in 1872 in Merthyr Tydfil
« on: Thursday 26 May 16 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
Would anyone be able to help me with the father's names on the marriage entry for Patrick RAHILY and Honora Malvey who married in the 4th quarter of 1872 in the Merthy Tydfil registration district.

Many thanks
Kerrie
Australia
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic marriage in 1872 in Merthyr Tydfil
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 16 06:46 BST (UK) »
i think you are going to have to buy the certificate.  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 16 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's no sign of the couple on the UK or Merthyr 1871 census (or earlier) before they married, but there were a couple of families / individuals with those surnames living in Merthyr but born in Ireland.

As gortonboy suggests, you would have to purchase the certificate, but the RC Church in Merthyr at the time might have been St Mary's and they married there maybe Father Barry English can help - why not try contacting him from their web page - http://www.merthyrrc.co.uk/contact/

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 16 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, do you have them after the 1871 census?
I've got a family here that are living in landore, clase (Swansea reg district)in both censuses  that their older  children were born in  Dowlais (Merthyr Tydfil district) and the younger children were born in Swansea district. They seem to be the couple who marry in Merthyr Tydfil reg district

Patrick's wifes name  Honora ( but also Hannah on one  census),but what is  really is confusing me - Patrick is listed as William in 1881 )
Are these  the family you are tracing?

1891 census
Patrick Rily  58 (Ireland) b 1833
 Hannah Rily  40 (Ireland) b1851
Samuel Rily  17 (Dowlais) birth 1874
[/b] Bridget Rily  15  (Dowlais) birth abt 1876
 James Rily  12 ( Dowlais) abt 1879
 Hanorah Rily  10 (Swansea) abt 1881
 Thos Jno Rily  3 (Swansea) about 1888

1881 census
William Reyly  35 - ( confused! Definitely says William on image and the two families in 1881 and 1891 are the same family) he is born in Derry Ireland and abt 1846 (image looks as if it's says Perry - the first letter looks exactly like the P in Pembrokeshire (above his entry), anc has transcribed it as Londonderry (Derry), but I'd keep in mind Kerry too - it doesn't look like a D to me)
 Hanora Reyly  30  abt 1851
 Samuel Reyly  7 abt 1874  ( birth place say's Glamorgan shire on image and not Swansea as mistranscribed by ancestry)
 Bridget Reyly  5 abt 1876
 James Reyly  2 abt 1879
 Hanora Reyly    (no age for her on census but she'd be newborn depending when exactly in Jan/feb.march qrt was born)

These BMD's below seem to be the same family above in 1881 and 1891, they are matching up to being the same family around Merthyr Tydfil reg district that I have found. Do you know why Patrick seems to be a William in one of the censuses, who is William? Honora , her name may be Honora, Nora, or Harriett ( also Samuel Riley son of Patrick Riley of Landore Killed after HM Trawler Euston struck a mine and sank in the North Sea 12/02/1917)

The births that match up with the children in the two above censuses:
Births 1874
Rahily  Samuel     Merthyr T.

births 1876
RAHILEY  Bridget     Merthyr T.  11a 495

Births 1878
RAHELY  James     Merthyr T.  11a 433

births march 1881
RAHILY  Honorae     Swansea  11a 633 

Births Swansea 1888
RAHLEY  Thomas     Swansea  11a 773

I agree, I think you will have to purchase their marriage. They could be anywhere in 1871, and under a variation of surnames, plus the Honora varations . I've come across a few likely  candidates in the Merthyr Tydfil region, but it's impossible to tell

Kind Regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 May 16 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies and advice on the Riley family.  I had found the family in the later census and the births of the children but thanks for looking.  I've no idea why Patrick is called William in the 1881 census - it's very strange.  I don't think Patrick was born in Derry - the D doesn't look anything like the D in David a few rows below and as was mentioned it looks like a P.  I will try the priest at Merthyr Tidfil but I don't like to bother them.

Patrick died in 1894 and the family moved to Scotland.  That was rather odd so I'll pose a fresh question about their move.
Thank you for all the help.
Kerrie
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia