Author Topic: Hintons Whitchurch, found a problem in my tree  (Read 1618 times)

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hintons Whitchurch, found a problem in my tree
« on: Thursday 26 May 16 23:43 BST (UK) »
Just had a massive spanner thrown into my tree :(
I know my 2nd gt grandad was Dicken Hinton as my grandad spoke of him, his father was John 1815-1888, John's father was also John 1779-1863, census show he was born in Whitchurch, Shropshire abt 1780,
only likely bap is 1779 in Whitchurch to Thomas and Mary,
there are other children bap Whitchurch to Thomas and Mary between 1775 and 1775,
there is only one mar of a Thomas and Mary in Whitchurch in 1772, Mary's maiden name is Dicken, they later moved to Ightfield
now for the spanner,
according to transcriptions one of Thomas and Mary's children was Wm Dicken Hinton bap 1788
last night when looking at a burial in Ightfield I noticed the bur above was a John Dicken Hinton bur 1813 aged 25, further searching found an actual Parish record of John Dicken Hinton 1788 to Thomas and Mary whitchurch, and I can see why it was wrongly transcribed as Wm.
so now my Thomas and Mary have 2 sons named John! the elder one my ancestor the younger dieing aged 25, I just can't see why there would be 2 living sons with the same name, Mary's father was John Dicken but Thomas father was Robert
If the 2 Johns aren't brothers then who are the other Thomas and Mary? also it's more likely the John Dicken Hinton is son of Thomas and Mary nee Dicken, so my tree will need some pruning ???
Boliver - Selattyn/St. Martins
Hinton - Whitchurch/Ightfield
Parry - Hanmer/Bronington
Clarke - Barnsley/Lancaster
Clegg - Rochdale/Lancaster
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt
Benbow - Shropshire

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Hintons Whitchurch, found a problem in my tree
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 May 16 00:26 BST (UK) »
It was not unusual to find two children of the same name, although the practice had largely died out by that period (I'm sure there will be plenty of examples otherwise forthcoming).
It looks like one was named after Mary's father, hence the middle name. Perhaps the first one had taken ill at the time of the 1788 birth; this was one reason you will find two of the same name.
Unless you can find other evidence of another family in Whitchurch, I think you are right to assume it is indeed the same family.
A good example of why it is important to check the original record.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 May 16 09:50 BST (UK) »

according to transcriptions one of Thomas and Mary's children was Wm Dicken Hinton bap 1788
last night when looking at a burial in Ightfield I noticed the bur above was a John Dicken Hinton bur 1813 aged 25, further searching found an actual Parish record of John Dicken Hinton 1788 to Thomas and Mary whitchurch, and I can see why it was wrongly transcribed as Wm.

Do you have that year right?  Looking at the PRs for Whitchurch the only one I can see in 1788 is John Hinton son of Richard & Jane Hinton, 3 June 1788.  The other one is 19 Dec 1779, John son of Thomas & Mary Hinton, Tilstock.  Neither have the middle name Dicken.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 16 15:22 BST (UK) »

Do you have that year right?  Looking at the PRs for Whitchurch the only one I can see in 1788 is John Hinton son of Richard & Jane Hinton, 3 June 1788.  The other one is 19 Dec 1779, John son of Thomas & Mary Hinton, Tilstock.  Neither have the middle name Dicken.
The transcription on FindMyPast is John Dicken, near bottom of the image, the John is wrongly transcribed as Wm on familysearch
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt
Benbow - Shropshire

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 May 16 16:08 BST (UK) »

The transcription on FindMyPast is John Dicken, near bottom of the image, the John is wrongly transcribed as Wm on familysearch

So it is, apologies, didn't spot that one.  Should have gone to.....  ;)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 16 22:16 BST (UK) »
It is interesting the John has been added, and in different ink.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
SOLVED
I found the will of Mary Hinton nee Dicken and she mentions both her living son John Hinton, and her late son John Dicken Hinton :D

thanks all
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt