Author Topic: A Mystery called Georgiana/ Georgianna or similar  (Read 2574 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: A Mystery called Georgiana/ Georgianna or similar
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 May 16 02:48 BST (UK) »
Go Willsy -  she's a gem!! 🌺🌺
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 May 16 08:36 BST (UK) »
Oh that did make me smile this morning ;D
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline suezee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 06:12 BST (UK) »
Venelow, Canada.  Have you been able to find proof that Georgianna's mother was Betsey Howes?  I believe that THAT Georgianna, is not the lady who married Harry Seekings.  She is the mother of of 3 children and with husband Harry in Coneysthorpe in 1891 Census. 

In 1890, the other Georgianna, daughter of Robert Prest and Betsey Howes arrived in the USA and three years later she married Thomas Smith.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 16:12 BST (UK) »
When Georgiana married Henry SEEKINGS she named her father as Robert PREST, occupation Gas-man.  She is noted as a minor.

In 1891 she is born in Coneysthorpe, Yorkshire, and in 1881 she has the same birthplace and is with her father Robert who is a Gasworks manager.  In 1871 her mother Betsey was still alive and with the family.

In 1890, the other Georgianna, daughter of Robert Prest and Betsey Howes arrived in the USA

Do you have an immigration record? 

She consistently fibbed about her age on the US census so the arrival year may not be accurate either.

Debra  :)

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
Just a thought...my great grandma was named Georgiana but always went by the name of Ana (ay-na). So I presume her full name was pronounced Georgie-ay-na rather than Georgie-ah-na.

RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Suezee, Dundee and other interested parties.

In case anybody is a bit confused, as I was, the 1891 Census referred to by Suezee was at Countesthorpe which is in the Blaby Leicester Registration District where Harry Seekings and Georgiana where living with three children not Coneysthorpe which was where Georgiana (and all various spellings) was born in 1862.

Her mother was Betsy Bowes not Howes.

Yes I was satisfied that I had the right parents for Georgiana. There was a lot of information that can be used to build a case for the conclusion I came to. If I can avoid buying a certificate that is a good thing. It means I can save money for the more ambiguous cases.

Her father Robert Prest was variously called an engineer or gasman. In 1851 he was living at Castle Howard where he was Gasman for the 7th Earl of Carlisle. In 1881 he was at Chenies in Buckinghamshire making gas for Lord Chesham.  His daughters were with him. Harry Seekings was a gardener on the Chesham estate, also on the 1881 census, and that is how they met. They married in Dec 1881 when Georgiana was 19 years old.

Four children arrived in 1884, 1886, 1888 and 1890. The last one died in the same quarter that the birth was registered and I believe this may have contributed to her leaving the marriage sometime in 1891 or 1892. She may have had a life threatening birth experience and also been affected by grief and depression. She must have been very unhappy to go so far as to leave her children. There was no divorce available except for the very rich.

Harry soon found a new partner and their first child arrived in 1894.  The marriage took place in 1899.

Harry's second marriage produced 15 children. Maybe Georgiana had sensed what her life would be like if she stayed. She appears to have had other ambitions. I haven't found an immigration record or passenger list. She probably used a different name. Her father may have helped her get away. So it is not surprising that the facts are a little cloudy regarding actual dates. Her death cert, kindly found by Willsy, states her mother's name was Betsy Bowes.

The  circumstantial evidence of Robert's marriage to Betsey Bowes, plus four children baptized for Robert and Betsy residing at Coneysthorpe, the first being George Bowes Prest (George being the name of Betsy's father), plus the very specific job of gasman to the nobility and all the other census information gave me the confidence to assume Betsy Bowes was the mother of Georgiana.

I have now checked the New GRO Index:
PREST GEORGIANNA    MMS  BOWES  1862 SQ Malton Union 9D 328

The date fits with Barton Le Street Baptisms
1862 Sep 26 Georgiana d/o Robert and Betsy Prest of Coneysthorpe Gasman.

So thank you GRO. We can solve a few mysteries, find missing children, or eliminate contenders with the additional information now provided.

Venelow
Canada

Offline suezee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 07:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Venelow
... for correcting the Coneysthorpe/Countesthorpe and Betsey's maiden name errors.  And also for sharing your research.  Such an interesting mystery - which seems to have been finally cleared up. 

If Georgianna did not die until 1940, then Harry Seekings was a bigamist!

I hope at least she led a happier lift as a musician in the US.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Suezee,

Georgiana remarried before Harry. In Manhattan on 8th September 1895. So she was the bigamist first.

Nearly every tree I have worked on has a bigamist or two somewhere. I have at least two in my tree that I have uncovered. Plus several people pretending to be married. I think that happened in most ordinary families. Things didn't work out. So you just made the best of it.  As long as appearances were kept up and the children not branded as illegitimate. The big shock usually came when the kids started going through their dead parents effects.

Note that Harry did not marry until after seven years of desertion had passed. I don't think this was backed up by any law but it seems to have been a popular misconception.  If he didn't know where she was or if she was dead or alive maybe he thought it was OK for him to marry again. He said he was a widower so maybe he presumed her dead.

Thank goodness attitudes to divorce and illegitimacy have changed over the last 60 years.

Venelow
Canada