Author Topic: Jamaica - Archimedes Jones b1816 and Joseph Jones  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jamaica - Archimedes Jones b1816 and Joseph Jones
« on: Sunday 29 May 16 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am wondering if someone may have experience with Jamaican records or access to them and may be able to help me.

I have on my Tree an Archimedes Jones 1816 - 1900 born in Jamaica. He first appears in England in the Well Street Sailors Home in 1851 as a seaman and cook. He remianed in England until his death and seems to have worked in the Sailors Home as a cook or steward. I know quite a bit about his life in the UK and his family.

At his wedding he gave his father's name as Joseph Jones 'merchant' and no mothers name.

I searched for him on the Register of Slaves in 1817 but did not find him but found a Joseph Jones a plantation owner in the Parish of St Anne in Jamaica and also Nevis/St Kitts. By the time of the next 'census' Joseph Jones had died ...so circa 1820.

I could find no record of a manumission by Joseph Jones.  It may be that Archimedes was born free but his mother may have been a slave

How might I find out more about the planter/merchant Joseph Jones in the Jamaican records ?

I can't say I was thrilled to discover that an ancestor was a slave owner, quite the reverse, but I am curious to find out more about him.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica - Archimedes Jones b1816 and Joseph Jones
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 16 10:27 BST (UK) »
Archimedes Jones, a child "white by law" born 27 September 1815, baptised at St Elizabeth, Jamaica, on 10 October 1822. No parents details recorded.

The register page is viewable on Familysearch but you will need to register and sign in to see it

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VH6X-71T
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 16 10:39 BST (UK) »
A reference to a slave owner named Joseph Jones of Heathfield, St Elizabeth in this document

http://aquila.usm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=drs

He was deceased by 1819

http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/Members/Al20p13.htm
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much ShaunJ ☺

Sorry I made an error with the parish, I should have double checked before I posted

I am not sure how I missed him on familysearch earler. Just proof that two heads are better than one ..lol

Interesting that he was not baptised until after his father had died, and perhaps a brother or half brother there also.
I presume that 'white by law' means that he was mixed race but because the father was white he is 'white by law'. Not sure of the significance of that

I am just checking the longer document to find Joseph Jones

Thanks again for your help

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 16 11:51 BST (UK) »
Is there somewhere to perhaps find the record for the burial of Joseph Jones in St Elizabeth in 1818/1819 or more interestingly any Probate records that might have survived ?

Offline stoker98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I have some information about Archimedes Jones.  As has been noted, he was "white-by-law", which means he was 1/16 African, but significantly could own property and receive an education (which was restricted for boys with a higher proportion of African genes).  His father's name is not given in the records, but was very probably Joseph Jones, the Plantation Owner who appears in the St. Elizabeth slave registers, but who died c 1818 (as implied by the Jamaica Almanac records, which after this date record his former holdings as "estate of").  His mother was probably Margaret McGill, who had three known children by Joseph Jones, namely Matilda (b. 1814); Caroline (b. 1816), and Inigo Joseph Jones (b. 1817).  Inigo became a planter and married into my wife's family, but emigrated to the USA, where his descendants still live and supplied the information about his mother's name.  Archimedes came to the UK by becoming a British merchant Seaman (1845-54).  He became cook and inmate and later a Master Steward of a sailor's hostel in Tenter Street East, Whitechapel, where he married a Sarah Herbert, christened on 29 Jan 1826 in Olney, Bucks.  The couple had a son called Charles H. Jones (1847), and four girls.  Sarah died before 1881, but Archimedes survived working as a domestic servant (1891 census).  He died in Hastings in 1900.  This information has been obtained from the Jamaica Parish Records, the Census Records, Merchant seaman records, and other widely available sources.  I hope it points you in the right direction, and would be interested to know if I have made any errors, and how many of his descendants are still living in the UK.

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you stoker98 for the reply. I am so sorry not to have responded before now, but the notification for me of your post somehow got caught up in my email spam filter and it is only now that I have checked Rootschat and realised you answered.

I am very interested in the information about Inigo Joseph Jones and his siblings. I was aware of Inigo from his baptism record at the same time as Archimedes. The name I have for Archimedes' father came from the name he gave on the record of his marriage to Sarah Harbert. He named his father as Joseph Jones a Merchant in Jamaica. I am not sure if it was the same Joseph Jones the plantation owner but think that is likely.

I could not work out how a sailor from Jamaica living in London married a woman from Buckinghamshire.

Archimedes was a resident and described as a cook in the Well Street Sailors' Home. The vicar for the the Sailors Home was the Rev Charles Gribble. Sarah Herbert was in service in the house of the Rev Gribble. His previous post had been as a Curate in the Parish of Olney in Buckinghamshire. Sarah was probably in service there and came with the Rev Gribble to London.

I know that Archimedes is listed on some Mariners Rolls held at the National Archives in London, which relate to the period before 1851,  but have never visited to see what ships he sailed on.

He and Sarah had 10 children that I know off. He worked in the Sailors' Home as a waiter and steward for about 30 years. There will be records mentioning him in the papers from the Well Street Sailors Home held in the Greenwich Maritime Museum near London

I would be very interested in any information about Archimedes' mother and siblings and will send a private post. I will be happy to share what I know about Archimedes' descendents

Offline stoker98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I sent you a long reply with photos, but could not post this to you.  Please could you email me, as the photos are too large for RootsChat &c.  My name is Dr. Michael Rhodes, Totnes, Devon, and you can find me on Linked In.  I look forward to hearing from you.
Bye for now,
Michael

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 April 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
I sent you a private message here on Rootschat today.

You can find it by checking the My Messages tab and inbox. If you respond by brief message there, so I know you can access it, I will be happy to give you my email in a reply message.