Author Topic: One person, two death records, same date of birth, two deaths 14 years apart?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline 11easkry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I am researching the family tree for http://www.unclaimed-estates.org.uk/bv21515986/1 who as you can see was born on 30th January 1934, after spending 2 days doing his tree and nearly completing it, I realised that his middle name may have been an alternative spelling, as it was actually "Varnells", a common middle name found in his tree. However just as I was about to finish it, I found this http://death-records.mooseroots.com, for Raymond V Tustian, showing the same date of birth for that of the one on the unclaimed estates list, but a death that is 14 years apart from the other one.

It would make sense that he died in America, as he has two children and a grandchild born and living there, and his parents died there. However it doesn't explain the death in 2015. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this has happened?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Bristol one in 2015 appears on the official UK Unclaimed Estates List; see link here:

www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/unclaimed-estates-list#the-list

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
If you are thinking of making a claim as you are directly related, do not do this through the unofficial website you posted.

Any claims must be made through the official Bona Vacantia website of the Government Treasury Solicitors in the link avm provided.

Also please note that if you are doing this in a 'work' capacity and are employed by a firm of probate genealogists, you should not be using Rootschat.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline 11easkry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
If you are thinking of making a claim as you are directly related, do not do this through the unofficial website you posted.

Any claims must be made through the official Bona Vacantia website of the Government Treasury Solicitors in the link avm provided.

Also please note that if you are doing this in a 'work' capacity and are employed by a firm of probate genealogists, you should not be using Rootschat.

I'm not employed by anybody. You can delete this post as I accidently posted twice

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There's no need to delete this topic or the duplicate as people reading either will be alerted to the other one.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Sbcausa

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: One person, two death records, same date of birth, two deaths 14 years apart?
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 June 16 02:44 BST (UK) »
The real Raymond Varnells Tustian did pass away in San Diego 2001. I believe his brother Malcolm Tustian was using Raymond's name and birth date. Malcolm just changed the middle name slightly. Perhaps he did not want to take over Raymond's identity completely. I think Malcolm is the one who died in England. Malcolm was born just a year after Raymond. The family lived around the Bristol area before going to Canada. If you look on the passenger ship list going to Canada there is a mistake. It shows Malcolm as a passenger but the name should have been Jean. Malcolm did not go to Canada at that time with the family. He was in the military. The family lost contact with Malcolm sometime in the late 1950's or early 60's.

Offline 11easkry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: One person, two death records, same date of birth, two deaths 14 years apart?
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 June 16 06:36 BST (UK) »
The real Raymond Varnells Tustian did pass away in San Diego 2001. I believe his brother Malcolm Tustian was using Raymond's name and birth date. Malcolm just changed the middle name slightly. Perhaps he did not want to take over Raymond's identity completely. I think Malcolm is the one who died in England. Malcolm was born just a year after Raymond. The family lived around the Bristol area before going to Canada. If you look on the passenger ship list going to Canada there is a mistake. It shows Malcolm as a passenger but the name should have been Jean. Malcolm did not go to Canada at that time with the family. He was in the military. The family lost contact with Malcolm sometime in the late 1950's or early 60's.

That is an extremely good theory and quite a likely possibility come to think of it! :o
I must agree at the fact that the real Raymond Tustian definitely didn't die in 2015,
Yes I did a google search on him and a lady who is related to him was saying how the real Raymond was living in America as of 1998, and at that point he was very ill and wanted to reunite with his brother. Their parents left for Canada without Malcolm because they put him in the army for a 'silly offence'. She also said that the last they had heard of him was that he went to Kenya with the army, and that there was a possibility he stayed there. I'm going to email the Treasury Solicitor to see whether the date is simply a mistake or not first, then take things from there. Thankyou very much, your help is much appreciated! :)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 June 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi easkry11

Are you thinking of making a claim on the estate?

Great if you are, I'm sure the office will be pleased to hear from you. If you aren't making a claim, they most probably won't be interested if this is just a family history project.

BTW, if you aren't eligible to claim, then the post by Sbcausa will be really helpful to the heir hunters who will definitely be googling his name to see what they can find out so they can find the correct entitled beneficiaries to the estate. Google and other search engines are very quick at indexing ths site so that replies are picked up by their robots.

Chandler-Chelsea