Author Topic: Relevant Board of Guardians for Carlton - CAMPBELL  (Read 449 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Relevant Board of Guardians for Carlton - CAMPBELL
« on: Monday 30 May 16 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

If anyone frequents the Nottinghamshire Board of Guardians archive and is looking at the relevant records (creed register? record of children?) I'd be very grateful if you could divert for a moment to look for John Campbell born Oct. 1897 in London.

In March 1902, this boy was taken in by his uncle and aunt (Norman Trevor Smith and Kate Smith) who lived at Highfield House, Eastmoor Drive, Carlton, Nottingham.

The relevant London board of guardian notes (St Pancras) stating this also state that by (or in?) Jan 1903, the Smiths had 'gone away no address'.  Presumably they were checking up on the boy.  The gone away date matches the fact that the Smiths emigrated to South Africa. I can't find Norman on passenger lists but I have found his wife and children travelling in March 1903. 

I can't find a likely John Campbell on any passenger list. So I'm assuming, possibly wrongly that either the boy died, or was handed over to the local Board of Guardians?  I can't see him anywhere in the St Pancras records so don't think he was returned there.

It would be good to locate him.

Rgds
Val

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Relevant Board of Guardians for Carlton - CAMPBELL
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 22 20:42 BST (UK) »
Found him via DNA of his descendants.  In New Zealand! And was not in the workhouse but in the household of his grandmother, then his aunt, until leaving England.
Crook, Bannister, Warren