Author Topic: Daniel Joseph Murphy and Katherine Gertrude McKinna  (Read 323 times)

Offline Christy.Knitting

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Joseph Murphy and Katherine Gertrude McKinna
« on: Monday 30 May 16 19:03 BST (UK) »
I have recently received a photocopy of my grandfather's original Social Security application in which his birth date was confirmed and his parent's names revealed.  I have been using incorrect information to do my research.

Now I would love some suggestions for finding dates of birth and marriage of the subject persons who are my great-grandparents.  Reportedly they were born in Dublin, he in 1858 and she in 1868.  Their son, my grandfather, was born December 25, 1893 in Omaha, Nebraska.  I have been following a lead that might explain my grandfather living alone with his mother in 1900.  Daniel may have died in nearby St. Louis, MO on December 25, 1898. 

Otherwise, I have nothing more to work with and would be appreciative of any further suggestions.

Looking forward to visiting Ireland in October 2016 during some of the centenary celebrations.

Christy Murphy Cutting

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Joseph Murphy and Katherine Gertrude McKinna
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 17:09 BST (UK) »
Do you know if Daniel and Kathleen met and married in the US or Ireland?
Having their marriage certificate would give more information to help search for baptisms

Do you have Kathleen on subsequent census returns?
Have these could pinpoint her emigration date and possibly a more specific location of birth

Dublin city and county although relatively small has many records and not all are online
There are many records of baptism in the correct time span for Kathleen on line - LINK however there is nothing to connect any one to your ancestor without further information.

There is no obvious Daniel Joseph Murphy online - that is not so say that he's not recorded; noting civil records began in 1863, you would only find a church record.

I know it would be wonderful to have a specific location to go to when you visit however you will be very welcome in Dublin and will find that there are many areas that still reflect the 1860s to 1880s when Daniel and Kathleen probably lived here. As you walk along streets you will know you walk in their footsteps.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Christy.Knitting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Joseph Murphy and Katherine Gertrude McKinna
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
I have so little information about Daniel and Katherine.  I am assuming they married in Ireland because I have not found the names in marriage records in US.  Unfortunately, Katherine was shown in one census only as Katy McDonald, mother of Joseph Henry Murphy, my grandfather.  There is one other record in Danville, Illinois showing a Kath G Murphy, widow of Danl P.  So, all very misleading and hardly any help.

I have seen a few mentions of Daniel in the approximate time for birth.  I have just one for Katherine that looks promising.  I keep thinking I would get help if I went to the Nebraska hospital where my grandfather was born. 

Thanks for your comments and support.  I know I will have a delightful time in Dublin and elsewhere.  I'll be there for two weeks with my sister who is as curious about our lineage as I am.

Christy Murphy Cutting