Author Topic: Joseph Gregg & Emma Litchfield photo mystery  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joseph Gregg & Emma Litchfield photo mystery
« on: Tuesday 31 May 16 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hello all family sleuths. First time poster from Australia and asking for some clues to work out a family photo mystery. We have a small daguerreotype (silver plate photo) of an older lady in mourning clothes. It was given to my great Aunty Dorothy Jean and said to be Dorothy Jane Gregg (her great great grandmother).
Normally I concentrate on my family in Australia as it is 6th generation but this one is a great mystery due to the amazing age of the photo. Also obviously they would have had to have money to get one of the first photos done.
While not familiar with UK family searching I have traced the Gregg line to a Joseph Gregg and Emma Litchfield marrying in 15 Jan 1844, West Bromwich, Staffordshire. Children Harriett Gregg (married Alexander King and my linage) 01 Dec 1843, Eliza Gregg died 1845 (and assumed born the same year), and Thomas William baptised St Martins Birmingham 1847.
I found Joseph in the 1841 census, parents James and Ann. Joseph died somewhere between 1847 and the 1851 census as Emma is listed as a widow. I can not find a death or burial, any clues?
Emma & Harriett came to Australia (unknown when as couldn't find them entering Australia) and Emma remarried. Her parents were Joseph and Jane and she was born in Bromsgrove.
So long story short maybe the photo is of Jane Litchfield not Gregg??? Either way I would like to try and track her down now. Any ideas or paths to take would be very appreciated.

Regards
Hayley
Main family interests are Vagg and Rowe. Also Lavers, Huckel, Barraclough. All families were in Australia, NSW, VIC and WA.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Gregg & Emma Litchfield photo mystery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 06:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have any middle names or initials for Jane Litchfield?
That would help get the right one.
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 06:30 BST (UK) »
and welcome to Rootschat!
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 06:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you, long time reader of all the great resources!

No sorry no middle names (only possibly Dorothy). Found Jane's name on Emma's death record in Victoria Australia. But just listed as Jane with no last name.

I have attached the photo. I am thinking around 1850's/60's as thats when that type of photography came in.

Cheers, Hayley
Main family interests are Vagg and Rowe. Also Lavers, Huckel, Barraclough. All families were in Australia, NSW, VIC and WA.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 07:07 BST (UK) »
Any clues on the back of the photo/frame?
Caution: Do not remove the photo if fragile

Tony

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
None on frame, not about to take it apart as air ruins the silver. Here is the back. Frame is only 52mm X 65mm

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 14:00 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us the ref. of the 1851 census?   Have looked at 2 different sites and can't find widowed Emma anywhere.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
Ohh sure thanks for looking :) - its a tricky one that one of my cousins worked out. Same address as when children were baptised. It is under the name Gress and looks on the paper like Grefs.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Hayley

Not sure if you will be able to access this from Oz:

Last few hours of free weeks use of Findmypast.co.uk until midnight UK time for BMD/Census searches.

Tony