Author Topic: Joseph Gregg & Emma Litchfield photo mystery  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Gregg & Emma Litchfield photo mystery
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 14:20 BST (UK) »
thanks but cant see to get access. I'm on ancestry and found the FreeBDM REG CEN etc. trying to sort out my UK searching.....  :P
Main family interests are Vagg and Rowe. Also Lavers, Huckel, Barraclough. All families were in Australia, NSW, VIC and WA.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 16:57 BST (UK) »
Back to the back of the photo:

There seems to be something written in the top opposite corner to the "26 corner".
"ACR" with a number after it maybe. (Written at an angle.)

Also is there an embossed or watermark oval shape in the centre with numbers and lettering going around the outside of the oval.

Not clear on the scan, can you make it out with the naked eye Hayley?
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 10:55 BST (UK) »
All I have is the photos, Cousin has the item. But I cant make out anything on the back.... I think you are making numbers out of marks  ;)

Thanks for the interest.
Hayley
Main family interests are Vagg and Rowe. Also Lavers, Huckel, Barraclough. All families were in Australia, NSW, VIC and WA.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Eliza was 14 weeks when she was buried.I can't find Joseph's burial and I'm assuming you have his and his siblings christenings.
The couple James and Ann are on the 1851 and 1861 censuses.

Christenings for the Litchfield family are Emma and William at Bromsgrove 10.11.1824 of the High Street horse keeper.
Probably a little brother Joseph infant buried 16.9.1821 of the High St.

It explains how Joseph the farrier's son and Emma the horse keeper's daughter met.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 12:03 BST (UK) »
ohhh thanks heaps!! Few little bits there to add to the tree. Thanks so much for the input. I will check it all over again but pretty sure its too old for the photo. After a bit of research I am looking at dates around 1850's-1860's for the photo. Many of the women in the family died youngish and I think the lady in the photo is older.

Any thoughts on the age of the lady? Her hands look old but that could be just a sign of the times - hard workers....

Thanks again for your input!! Amazing about the horse connection.... off to investigate.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 20:52 BST (UK) »
Is the sitter in the photo age 67?
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 June 16 02:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry are you guessing or asking me? I have no idea but trying to rule so family out as they died before 45 years old. Still digging

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 June 16 06:20 BST (UK) »
If you rotate the back of the photo to landscape with the "26" in the bottom right hand corner and upside down.

I think written in the corner above at a 45-degree angle are three letters and a two digit number.
Could be "AGE 67"

Offline Woodabyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 June 16 07:51 BST (UK) »
My goodness do you have superpowers!  ;D Yes I see what you mean now and have contacted my cousin to see if they can make out something on the original. Thanks, will let you know.

I am still trying to work out who Jane Litchfield is/was as I think this is my best guess as to the lady in the photo as the Gregg side died young and the next generation ended up in a asylum and workhouse so dont think they would have the money for a photo back then.

Thanks all for the interest.