Author Topic: Mccormacks in Ballinrobe  (Read 1912 times)

Offline srr1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mccormacks in Ballinrobe
« on: Tuesday 31 May 16 14:03 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was William Mccormack born 1871/1872 in Mayo, possibly Ballinrobe.
Father according to his marriage cert in Liverpool was Edward but his children and grandchildren are named James Edward so his father may have been James Edward. I.m having trouble finding a birth and parents /siblings. His daughter Nora visited Kilvindoney just north of Ballinrobe in the 1940's and they were friends with the Walsh family.
Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mccormacks in Ballinrobe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 15:53 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 16:02 BST (UK) »

Offline srr1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I have made enquiries with the present day Mccormack's in Cloongowla but they haven't replied yet. It is a strong possibility that they are the right family though. Having some difficulty reading the baptism records but greatly appreciate you taking the time to post them.  Thanks again.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 21:35 BST (UK) »

Offline srr1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dathai,
The names work but I have a marriage cert and two census entries in Liverpool saying he was born in 1871/1872.
The marriage cert in 1900 does say that his father is deceased which puts more weight on your suggestion but the birth year is confusing.
One of the present day Mccormacks in Ballinrobe told me that there were two families in the area at the time and they would do some checking but no further reply yet.
I'm confident that the Edward listed in 1901 census was James Edward married to Ellen Hynes. Sometimes though, Ellen can actually turn out to be Mary Ellen. This adds further weight to your suggestion apart from the birth year, plus this Edward is alive in 1901 unlike the one in the marriage cert. All very confusing.  Thanks again.

Offline srr1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 June 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
Dathai,

In the 1911 census listed by Hallmark above, there is a Patrick Mccormack on Main st Ballinrobe. I think he is from the same family too.
Using your website, if you search for him, he appears with the same parents as the ones listed by you for William and John. Look at the years though. Unless they are not births, maybe Christenings/Baptisms ?
Still confused here. LOL.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 June 16 10:32 BST (UK) »
Dathai,

In the 1911 census listed by Hallmark above, there is a Patrick Mccormack on Main st Ballinrobe. I think he is from the same family too.
Using your website, if you search for him, he appears with the same parents as the ones listed by you for William and John. Look at the years though. Unless they are not births, maybe Christenings/Baptisms ?
Still confused here. LOL.

One has to allow for the likes of a Birth in December not being registered until Jan of following year.

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 June 16 20:57 BST (UK) »
I've been talking to a relative who grew up in Ballinrobe and she confirms that Patrick McCormack was a cousin of the Cloongowla family. There were also cousins in Roxboro, just down the road from Cloongowla but I can't see them in the 1911 census so this may have been later (1930s?).
The McCormack property in Main Street was a large shop - drapery/general store - so all those servants listed in the census would probably have been shop assistants, I should think.
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin