Author Topic: GIBRALTAR - where can I get a death certificate from?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline benn34

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GIBRALTAR - where can I get a death certificate from?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 June 16 11:41 BST (UK) »
The family History Library has records of deaths in Gibraltar.whether a serviceman would get onto a civillian register I do not know. Scroll down to near the end - 1707672 Items 2-5

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/440722?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Hi barryd,

I will certainly have a look at this on my dinner hour.

Thank you

Ann  :D

Offline benn34

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 June 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
you would have thought that the Navy would have reported his death to the consulate but maybe not.

If you are based in the UK you could try phoning the GRO on 0300 123 1837 and ask them to check their records, maybe he hasn't been transcribed or maybe his death wasn't reported to the consulate.

His death might just have been reprted locally, in which case there's a link here

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/civil-status-registration-office

If you can wait to the end of the week, I'm going to the British Library and can check the GRO fiche there

Hi dawn,

I got through to the GRO. They said that they should definately have a record of Edwards death especially since he died on shore but it will take about 2/3 weeks for them to locate him but they will keep me informed.

Ann ;)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 June 16 20:17 BST (UK) »
I will still check for you but I know the GRO does hold some types of military records that do not appear on microfiche.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline benn34

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 June 16 20:37 BST (UK) »
Bless u dawn, thank you.

:D

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 June 16 02:53 BST (UK) »
I looked at film 1707672 Items 2-5 and Edward John Lamb's death was not reported on it. I saw no military people people recorded on the Gibraltar Death Records in the 1922 year. The majority of the deceased are local people who were living there. All Civilians. A few English  people died there too but again all civilians.

However looking into the Gibraltar records I discovered I have a birth which I never had checked into on my own extended line. Fanny Jago registered nameless, born 10 March 1871. The Gibraltar Registers at that time had a system where a child's birthdate and father/mother and address could be recorded and in the last column the child's first names could be added later which is what Fanny's  parents did. Father (Major) John Jago, 74th Highland Division  and mother Fanny Wiley, a native of Gibraltar. I seems to me the parents were not married. The baby ended up in Lake County, California, USA where she died 23 February 1958.