Author Topic: Morton Family  (Read 9320 times)

Offline Discoveringjoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morton Family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 February 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail I'm on a train from London and I lost my message so I'll start again. I'd love to meet you next week. I'll contact you again when I know which day we will be in yr area. Prob about tues. I had not heard of Alexander Morton before. I'll contact dads cousin in australia who has the most information and see what further info I can bring. Regards joy

Offline Discoveringjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 February 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail and Lynn, firstly I'm new to this and having difficulties with the site. Perhaps it's my iPhone. Secondly I've got more info and found the connection to Alexander Morton . I'm still trying to find address of the Morton farm on cormeen rd. the farm was there 150 yrs ago so could be different now.  Hope the trip to Cambodia was as good as ours was a few yrs ago! Regards joy

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 February 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gail and Joy....... It is so special for me to have contact with you both.
Joy, I wish I could be at home and have my information in front of me to be of some help to you. I am not exactly sure where you fit into my line, but I know you are there somewhere! You also may have all the information I have on our Morton family, including the booklet we have, but there is a lot there at home to share with you anyway. Much of it from a researcher in Ireland I had years ago.

I am enjoying Cambodia very much, it is home away from home for me....... as I have been coming over here twice a year, to the village school we built in 2009. So it has all become very special to me.

I will wait anxiously to hear about your meeting with each other. What a wonderful meeting that will be, thanks to Rootsweb! How I would love to be joining you both!

Warm regards to possibly two newly found cousins.......
Lyn

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 February 17 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Joy, I should have added that we have a photo of the land where the farm house of Charles and Sarah Morton had stood. The house had disappeared. It was taken by Max Morton on a visit there many years ago.  It is hard to identify where it was now from the photo, but I know it was on the Cormeen Road, Killylea, County Armagh.
Not much help, am I???

Offline Discoveringjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 February 17 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn well this is all coming together for me. Max Morton is my dad he's 87 now and he went to killylea about 40 yrs ago around the time my daughter was born she's 41. David Morton of Curmeen - the farm name- is my dads great grand father. Getting back to the photo I think I have the same one but nothing to indicate an address. I've also got a lot of info at home photos etc as I'm in uk visiting my immediate family. Where are you from USA? Regards joy ps it will be great to meet Gail! We come over every yr to visit my son so maybe next yr? Regards joy

Offline GCurrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 February 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joy I'm really looking forward to meeting u on Tuesday. If you want to PM me via Facebook my name is Gail Currie Irwin. I'll give you my details etc. Lynn you are welcome to friend request me as well. Your information has been invaluable regarding Rev James Gibson. There has been a book published by Lislooney presbyterian church on its history. If you go to its Facebook page you can follow the links to buy it on face book. There is a chapter on The rev Gibson and also mentions David morton (an elder in the church). I hope we can help each other fill in the missing pieces which have been lost through history.

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 February 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Joy, that is wonderful news! Always special to find family...... and Max being your family, means we are family too!
I have worked with cousins in Melbourne for years researching  the Morton family and it has been very fruitful. Of course having the 1856 letter from the Rev James Gibson has proved a "gold mine" for us, and enabled me to find out much about the Gibson family both in America and in Australia too.
Will think of you both on Tuesday.
I will send you a  FB friend request too now Gail.
Best wishes to you both.
Lyn   

Offline GCurrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 February 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi would love to see a copy of the Rev Gibson letter.....sounds interesting!

Offline JennyMarieGradwell

• RootsChat Member
  • http://oneateleven.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 25 February 17 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Interesting that this thread should be at the top when I log in! I'm trying to track down info about an Ann(ie) Morton born May 1899 in Armagh and came looking for any online parish records/info. Coincidence I'm sure :)
Lancashire Gradwells.
Middlesbrough Mahoneys.