Author Topic: Trying to trace my Romany roots Foster and Evans  (Read 11394 times)

Offline woodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace my Romany roots Foster and Evans
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 June 16 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sus so just found out what a Marine Store Dealer is basically a rag n bone man ..so i traced my Foster side back too John Foster born 1760 died 1799 his wife was Elizabeth Breed born 1761 no date of death found ......so the Scrap metal part was true , makes me wonder about the Romany part as well ....John Foster was the oldest family member i can find is there a way of finding out if there was any Romany connection there ?

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 June 16 11:18 BST (UK) »
On one census Harry Amos is described as a rag and bone man

Don't be too harsh on tales you've heard not being true.

In my family we were always told we came from Romany stock -  gypsies was the term used - it turned out it was because my family moved around a lot - not too far -but they moved back and forth - and that's where the Romany/traveller theory started.
Harry Amos was a rag and bone man -a scrap metal dealer and that is where the story that he was a Romany could have come from
When I was young my best friend was the daughter of the local scrap metal merchant, they lived in a big house and had a caravan which was used for holidays on the continent (a luxury not too many could afford at that time) . By local people they were were called gypsies - I suppose because they didn't conform to the usual mine/steelwork occupations which were prevelant in the area.
I have John Foster on census and he was an agricultural labourer and lived in a dwelling -not a tent or caravan -so  I don't think there are obvious Romany connections there.
Do you require census with John and family on?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 June 16 12:09 BST (UK) »
this is the probate record for henry Amos

Henry Amos Foster of Bozen Green Farm Baughing Hertfordshire died 19 Feb 1931 at Streatham Surrey. Probate London 8 Dec to Ada Selina Foster, spinster
Effects £522 15s

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline woodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 June 16 12:10 BST (UK) »
thank you you've been so helpful and found out more information than i'd manged too .....its strange the foster side of the family are all very dark skinned including myself and we always assumed this was the romany conncetion .........i have traced all my family back to the 1700s on all sides but never been able to find details about occupation or dwelling details so thanks for all your help so far ....i think im just going to accept thats its looking not likely we have a romany conncetion and accept the storie as it is   thanks again woodge

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 June 16 12:37 BST (UK) »

Suz
thank you you've been so helpful and found out more information than i'd manged too .....its strange the foster side of the family are all very dark skinned including myself and we always assumed this was the romany conncetion .........i have traced all my family back to the 1700s on all sides but never been able to find details about occupation or dwelling details so thanks for all your help so far ....i think im just going to accept thats its looking not likely we have a romany conncetion and accept the storie as it is   thanks again woodge

In my family most of my father's side of the family are dark skinned  - I'm not but then my mother's side were very fair . One of our family believes we originate from 17th century continental gipsies but she has never given the source of information and as yet I haven't found proof - but we have to keep looking cos who knows what we will find
always remember too that its not often your family tell deliberate lies but they just tell stories which have been handed down and probably started with a flippant conversation many years ago - also it is great when you can confirm family tales

Do you require earlier census for addresses etc?

Suz

Offline woodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 June 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
Do you require earlier census for addresses etc?                   

that would be very helpful

always remember too that its not often your family tell deliberate lies but they just tell stories which have been handed down and probably started with a flippant conversation many years ago - also it is great when you can confirm family tales                   

very true ....im very proud of my Roots no matter what and thanks again for your help

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 June 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
Here we are with the census
1871Hockliffe
John Foster head M 52 Dealer Hockliffe Beds
Ann wife 51 wife M  Plaiter Tillsworth beds
Ephraim son S 21 labourer Hockliffe
HENRY son (this is Henry Amos) labourer Hockliffe
Jonathan son 11 Labourer 11 Chalgrave
Ann daughter 10 scholar Chalgrave
Levi son 5 scholar Chalgrave
Joseph Smith Lodger S 22 soldier Houghton Conquest
RG10 1559 112 12

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 June 16 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hockliffe Beds
John Foster Head M 42 ag lab Hockliffe
Ann wife M 41 Tillsworth
Loftus son 18 ag lab
Eli son 16 ag lab
Ephraim son 9 ag lab
HENRY son 4 scholar
Jonathan son 2
children all b Hockliffe
HO107 1755 415 20

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 June 16 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hockliffe Beds
John Foster head M 32 Straw factor (possibly means a dealer in straw plaits) Hockliffe
Ann wife M 31 Straw Cutter Tillsworth
Loftus son 8
Eli son 5
Caroline daughter 2 Ephraim son 4mths
children all b Hockliffe
HO107 1755 415 20

Suz