Author Topic: 1939 Register query  (Read 4114 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register query
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you all.
Max - I did contact Laurence Lock some years ago - his connection was not as close as mine, and like me he only had the birth recorded.
William - you've probably solved the mystery as to why I hadn't found these records myself. I thought I had looked up all the Rinks and the variants I could think of, but didn't try Risk - and no idea what ancestry has transcribed it as.
Lizzie - I'll try the Marchant connection. Thanks for the suggestion.
Rosie - I wonder why there were so many teachers going to Kenya in the 50s? But at some time she certainly came home - if permanently it seems likely she had changed her surname as by now her death would have appeared in the UK records.
I'll update you all if I find anything - maybe this thread will catch the eye of one of her relatives or friends?
Thank you all again.
Lesley

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 19:35 BST (UK) »
Actually, Lesley, I think I had a senior moment when I typed my last post- I searched for Rink not Risk!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 22:39 BST (UK) »
I think I'm having a series of senior moments myself William. I went back to ancestry and findmypast to look up these exciting finds - and can't find any of them. I'm not sure where to find the electoral register which sounds very hopeful, but I've looked though all the passenger and travel records on the 2 sites above but without any success at all. I can't find any emigration to Kenya so I'm obviously looking in the wrong place, or doing something stupid (quite possible!). I did find a P Rink but it was a man. I've decided I may be doing something wrong filling in my search criteria, so have decided to leave it till tomorrow and see if things are clearer then. I did find the Marchant family in 1939 but they were a retired couple, so probably not likely to need the services of a governess. The other Marchants nearby didn't seem to have children, so maybe Phyllis was just a lodger. Hopefully tomorrow will be more successful!
Lesley

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 23:52 BST (UK) »
Lesley on both sites if you simply search the name Phyllis Rink (nothing else needed) you should find them. On FindMyPast only seven records come up, the shipping record is the fourth of the seven. On Ancestry the electoral roll is the second record. (I only have FindMyPast UK and Ancestry UK and so was seeing British only records). Hope this helps.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks William - I think there was a problem on ancestry yesterday, and you solved my findmypast problem - I also had my search set on British records (not many world records needed in my tree). The outgoing passenger list to Kenya is definitely my Phyllis - the handwritten note on the page indicates the group of teachers included joined the ship at the last minute - no clue as to why (tho many came from the South-East, so maybe part of a church group?) It would be good to be able to examine other pages on the list but I can't find how to do this.
I'd also like to search the passenger lists of people coming back into the UK - still haven't found these records - ancestry keeps urging me to take out a world sub, which I can't afford, but I'll keep searching.
Lesley

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 09:59 BST (UK) »
Lesley, to see the others on the list click on the arrow at the left of the screen. You should be able to scroll through the entire manifest. Since this was still in colonial times most of the people on board seem to have occupations related  to that.

Like you I do not have a huge need for world records but if required I use the local library and Ancestry Library edition there. Well it's good to get something for one's council tax!

William

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
Just to add I have now found the passenger list on Ancestry - search simply for P Rink (don't put year of birth - think that is why I could not find it before ) and it should come up. I would also point out that these lists seem to only go up to 1960 - I don't know how you would track her arrival back in the UK after that date.

William

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 11:20 BST (UK) »
I would also point out that these lists seem to only go up to 1960 - I don't know how you would track her arrival back in the UK after that date.

You probably wouldn't track her back as the chances are she may have flown home and flight records do not exist.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 12:40 BST (UK) »
Lesley, to see the others on the list click on the arrow at the left of the screen. You should be able to scroll through the entire manifest. Since this was still in colonial times most of the people on board seem to have occupations related  to that

My PC also seems to be having its senior moments! There was no arrow on the left hand side of the screen but by clicking randomly in that area I managed to see earlier pages - and not surprisingly there were a number of missionaries on the ship also bound for Kenya. So far they seem to be unmarried women or couples so I haven't found a suitable match for my aunt!

I'm hoping this thread will bring some positive results and am going back to the manifests to look at the rest of the passengers. Thanks again William