Author Topic: New to rootschat - tracing James Waters who married Jemima Dunbar in 1845  (Read 2340 times)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New to rootschat
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 19:04 BST (UK) »
The man who died in 1897 is incontrovertibly yours - see his death registration on ScotlandsPeople as Rosie first suggested.

His death registration shows he was married to Jemima Dunbar.

As we already knew from the newspaper notice, he died at 6 Rosefield Place, Portobello - the same address where he and his family were in 1891.

The informant of his death was his daughter Jane E Waters.

Parents (both deceased) are recorded as:

James Waters, Collector of HM Customs & Janet Waters, maiden surname Jackson.

Very kind of you avm to take the time to find His  death

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
Well done everyone, great lookups, it's folk like you who make RootsChat the No.1 genealogy forum it is
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
Something else to bear in mind regarding Scottish records, is that it was perfectly acceptable for an illegitimate child to have the surname of his father.

One of the 3 baptisms for James' baptism on familysearch says 'James Waters or Jackson' which would suggest to me that his parents were not married.    There are no other children shown born to a James Waters/Janet Jackson.   The 1851 Census shows a James Waters bc.1788 born Thurso, Caithness as a lodger in Inverness - he is unmarried and occupation is 'Collector of Customs'.   This could well be your James' father.

Just looked at James' baptism at Thurso on SP - born 26 May, bp.20 July 1821 'son of James Waters, Esq. Collector of Customs, Wick by Janet Jackson, Thurso - this again would indicate the parents weren't married - however, at least you can confirm James jnr. father who from census appears to have never married.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
The James Waters identified by Annette 7 may have left a will as there is an entry in the wills index on Scotland's People for James Waters collector of customs Inverness with a date of 12 04 1853.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Cormack123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
You guys are really good. Makes me a real novice at this. Thanks so much for all your help. Ages are obviously not very accurate, especially in the 1991 census and in James marriage record.
KC

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 08:57 BST (UK) »
I think half the battle is being aware of all the different resources out there. Just one or two further observations.

A really useful free resource is Freecen for census transcriptions Caithness is particularly well covered. I note that there is a Janet Jackson in Thurso in the 1841  and 1851 census (in the latter she is showing as a widow). There is also a possible birth for her in 1797 coming up on Family Search as well as a possible marriage to a Gilbert Gordon in 1824(the 1841 census has two girls with the surname transcribed as Gordin in her household). There is a death for a Janet Gordon, other surname Jackson, mother's surname Bain in Thurso in 1858. Might be worth following up. (It was not uncommon for widows to be recorded by their maiden name in the census).

I also think you would find a search in the British Newspaper Archive of value. Doing a search for James Waters in Caithness and Inverness newspapers produces a lot of hits. There is, for example, a report of the death of James  Waters in the Inverness Courier Sept 23 1852.

Hope this helps

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 09:37 BST (UK) »
Remember that in Scotland married women may still legally use their maiden name!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 10:29 BST (UK) »
Here is his christening record :

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYD4-V68

James Waters b 26 May 1821 & christened 20 Jul 1821 at Thurso, Caithness , parents James Waters and Janet Jackson

Given by me on reply number 6.......I do wonder why I bother sometimes 8)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley.