Author Topic: Albert Victor Church  (Read 1715 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Victor Church
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 09:34 BST (UK) »
there are moves afoot to change the system in England & Wales where we can purchase cheaper 'non-certificated' copies of entries possibly supplied over the internet but it will take time to be implemented.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline AbbyKatNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 09:40 BST (UK) »
there are moves afoot to change the system in England & Wales where we can purchase cheaper 'non-certificated' copies of entries possibly supplied over the internet but it will take time to be implemented.

I think we are all hoping for something similar to Scotland's People. It is much better to get a copy of the actual register than a computer generated certificate.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 10:14 BST (UK) »
Is there anywhere I can get more information about that death record?

1966 Probate Calendar
CHURCH Albert Victor of Burnham Thorpe Norfolk died 26 December 1964 at St. James Hospital Kings Lynn Norfolk. Administration London 23 February [1966] to H.M. Treasury Solicitor. £584.

Aged 75 at death, bear in mind he may be the man whose birth was registered in 1890 in Wayland registration district (also Norfolk).

Offline AbbyKatNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 10:23 BST (UK) »

Aged 75 at death, bear in mind he may be the man whose birth was registered in 1890 in Wayland registration district (also Norfolk).
[/quote]

Thank you for the probate info. I was wondering about the location as they seemed to be located mainly in the Lewisham & Kent area in the records I have found. From what I have discovered so far, they were not very well off financially and I suspect that is the reason the children were placed in homes/orphanages. The lady I am doing this for is the only surviving member of that family and she never knew her parents.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 11:49 BST (UK) »
I can find no record of either Albert or Edith until 1939 Register when I found Edith at the Westhill Hospital, Dartford. In 1945 she had moved back to Lewisham and died 1969.

Have you identified Edith in the electoral rolls after 1945? If so, is she living with anyone else who might be related?

If you believe the 1969 death is hers, you might want to consider getting that certificate, as it should tell you whether Albert was living or deceased (provided the informant knew that).

I suspect you may need to purchase a certificate or two for this quest, as there are relatively few other sources of information available for these dates.

Offline AbbyKatNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 12:03 BST (UK) »
According to the Electoral Rolls, one of her sons and his wife were living with Edith in Lewisham until 1964.

I haven't ordered the certificate yet as I was concentrating on finding Albert so that I could order them both together.

Do you know of any online cemetery/burial records I could search for that period? If so, which cemetery are they likely to be buried in. I am totally unfamilar with what UK research is available online so I do apologise if I am asking dumb questions. I have access to Ancestry, Find My Past, Family Search and FreeBMD. I have not been able to find any mention of Albert after 1925 on any of these websites.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 12:06 BST (UK) »
Most of the records covering the last 100 years are closed :(

You just have to use what is available.
Unfortunately, that usually means spending money?!

Have you looked for a newspaper reference, on FindMyPast?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline AbbyKatNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 12:16 BST (UK) »
Most of the records covering the last 100 years are closed :(

You just have to use what is available.
Unfortunately, that usually means spending money?!

Have you looked for a newspaper reference, on FindMyPast?

I am cautious about ordering unless I am quite sure I have the right person. I feel confident with the death record for Edith but still hesitant about a death record for Albert.

Yes, I have searched all categories in Find My Past and I have also searched the British Newspaper Archives website. He has just disappeared! Maybe that is what he wanted to do, he could have even changed his name.

I will check with the family and see if they want me to order the certificates.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 12:17 BST (UK) »
Do you know of any online cemetery/burial records I could search for that period? If so, which cemetery are they likely to be buried in.

She was cremated at Hither Green on 9 July 1969.
https://www.deceasedonline.com
But you'll have to purchase a few credits to see the entry in the cremation register.