Author Topic: Thomas Boyd and Leticia Wallace Boyd family Members  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Boyd and Leticia Wallace Boyd family Members
« on: Wednesday 08 June 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching my paternal Great, Great, Great grandparents Thomas Boyd and his wife Leticia and their families.  One of their daughters, Margaret Ann Boyd is my Great x2 grandmother.  There was also a Thomas Boyd Junior, Jane Boyd and I believe a Nancy Boyd that immigrated to New York in about 1839 or 1840.  There may have been another son (Hugh)?  Thomas Boyd senior was born in about 1785 according to his death records and his wife Leticia born in about 1786,  Both are buried in New York (Brooklyn), but we're married and born in Northern Ireland.   Any information much appreciated!  Irish Lynn

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Boyd and Leticia Wallace Boyd family Members
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 June 16 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thomas Boyd b~1785 ireland d in New York (Brooklyn), m Leticia Wallace b~1786 ireland  d in New York (Brooklyn),
how do you know they were born and married in the north of Ireland?
children location of birth unknown, and in no particular order
Margaret Ann Boyd your Great x2 grandmother.no dates ?
Thomas Boyd Junior, no dates
Jane Boyd  no dates
possible Nancy Boyd that immigrated to New York in about 1839 or 1840
possible (Hugh)? 

Unless your names turn up in some existing family tree the lack of irish records means its going to be a very difficult search in which many give up unless lucky enough to find a church record etc to get to a church record you need to find a county and then a civil or religious parish.

take a national record for example which in itself excludes most of the population
Flax Growers Of Ireland  1796  gives a hint of which Ulster Counties both names Boyd and Wallace were living
the website to use is for Co Antrim http://www.failteromhat.com/flax/antrim.php and then substitute the next county in that website etc
Co Antrim Yes both
Co Armagh Yes both
Co Cavan Yes But Less
Co Derry Yes both  Co Derry used in that website record in other records Co Londonderry
Co Donegal Yes both
Co Down Yes both
Co Fermanagh Yes both But Less
Co Monaghan Yes both Less Wallace
Co Tyrone Yes both
 to find somepathway to where they got married, if they married in Ireland, its most likely they came from the same county  so one could download all the entries findable in the flax growers lists say ove 250 entries, sort them by county and civil parish you will get matches by civil parish, that’s again most likely  if Thomas sr was the son of a Thomas you might find him or a namesake. its finding a possible parish to look up its church records that is the purpose of all this

there are many boyd family trees in existence see ancestry etc
trying to be helpful
good luck
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 June 16 12:22 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks

I have been a member of Ancestry for 10 years and have found out a lot, but nothing on the Ireland information.  My dads side always said Scot Irish, so I assumed Northern Ireland.  The order of children and their births are: Tomas Boyd Junior - Born 1820 (based on US census and death records(, Jane Boyd born in 1823, Nancy Boyd born in 1821 and Margaret Ann Boyd born in February of 1827. Both Thomas Boyds were stone cutters or Mason's when they came to USA.  I have looked in Family Search .org also without a lot of luck.  One New York census from 1855 says they were living there since 1839,  I appreciate all your tips!! The burial play they bought was with John Heaney, Andrew Ramsay and John Hogg plus Thomas Boyde Senior.  Heaney married Margaret Ann Boyd. 

Offline Linda Houston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne
I am related to Thomas Boyd and Leticia Wallace also- sideways!- and I have Thomas Boyd in my tree as a Doctor not a stonemason. Not sure where I foudn that info though.

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Just sent you a reply on another thread for Thomas and Leticia Boyd.  How are you related?  My Thomas and Leticia immigrated in 1839 to NYCity from Northern Irelland.  I am fairly sure he was a stone Mason as all of the census refer to that for both Thomas Senior and Junior.  Thomas senior died in 1865 and is buried in NYCity in Greenwood Cemetary.  His obituary was sent back to the Coleraine Chronicle. I would like to get some details from the families Northern Irish side or even the Scottish side.  My dad always said the Boyds in our family were from Scotland, but not sure how far back and where they came from, although i suspect Ayrshire.  Thanks for any information!  Irish Lynn

Offline Linda Houston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,
I have traced my Boyds back to John Boyd born in 1740 in Ireland and his wife (who was also his cousin) Margaret Boyd born in 1740 in Lismoyle, Ireland. I know that they go back to Scotland as I got a DNA match with a Boyd in Glasgow..... however, getting records pre 1750 in Ireland is pretty difficult. So they had a son called John Boyd (1785-1865) who married Malsey Gage. They had a son called Andrew Ballyclough Boyd (1800-1861) who married Martha Forgrave (1800-1881), one of their sons Thomas (Ballyclough Collins) Boyd married Margaret Heaney (1842-1900). It was Andrew Boyd's brother John III who married Margaret "Peggy" Blair that was my ancestor. This Boyd was my great-great-grandfather. I cannot work out yet how these connect with Leticia and Thomas but  Ancestry says for Thomas (husband of aunt of wife of 1st cousin 4x removed). So off to the side.....
I have filled in quite a bit of my Boyds and of Thomas and Leticia's descendents. If you want to see my tree it is public on Ancestry (McDaid_Irvine family_2020) or if you send me your email I will send you an invite to it.
I was born not far from where the Boyds came from in N.Ireland but had a protestant Dad who was in the British airforce and a catholic Mum so when he left the RAF we had to emigrate- and emigrated to Australia in 1972. I go back home as often as I can in fact was there for a month in Nov 2019 but at that time did not know all this history- even drove through where they came from!!
Anyway good to connect with you. Linda

Offline Irish Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi again!  I am on ancestry as Lynnsennett40 and have a public tree.

My email is *. I would love to get to know another Boyd relative!  That name is passed down in may generations of my family! 

We can trade all of our knowledge!!  Talk soon, Lynn

*Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice, to avoid others spamming or abusing it.
Please use the personal message system to exchange personal e-mail addresses. 

Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
Linda Houston- a few corrections:
Martha (Forgrave) Boyd died 28 June 1884 at Ballyclough. Son Thomas married 20 Aug.1852 to Margaret Heaney of Cullycapple (c1828-28 Feb.1886).

There were many marriages between Boyds and Blairs. Most of the old Presbyterian Aghadowey families were related or somehow connected by marriage and it might be that Thomas Boyd was related to the Boyds originally from Lismoyle however I've not been able to work out the connection. Letitia Wallace was possibly from Cullycapple or more likely Mullahinch.
Quite a few of the Boyds ended up in New York City as well as other local people (Archy Gimore with Thomas Boyd in 1855 N.Y. State Census is just one example- he was from Glenkeen near Cullycapple).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Linda Houston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 October 20 23:07 BST (UK) »
thanks Aghadowey, I have fixed that up....... Linda