Author Topic: Phillip Elen (1765 - 1811)  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Phillip Elen (1765 - 1811)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 June 16 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for all your help and information. I've learnt more here in the last 2 days than on my own in the last 2 years! :)

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 June 16 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

As suggested by groom, I have just looked at the abstract of Philip's will, which mentioned his children. It confirmed that there was no Sarah, BUT there was an Ann! Are there any records for her birth or baptism?

On the bright side, one of the executors was a John Pace of Cuckfield of the same parish, which adds weight to Mary's surname being Pace and might help towards finding her birth date or parents (he might be her brother or father). The date I have of 1765 (for a Mary Page) does not agree with CB53's findings that she was aged over 30 at her marriage to Philip on 29 Oct 1785.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 June 16 20:19 BST (UK) »
A John Pace was buried in Cuckfield in 1852 age 82 years.  The 1851 census gives his place of birth as Rodmell so that may be a complete red herring.   However there is a Mary Pace baptised in Rodmell in 1763, 23rd May.  Daughter of Jn and Ann.

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 June 16 21:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you, silligen. That would make sense if John was Mary's brother as he is 7 years older than her and they were both born in Rodmell, which is not too far from Arlington. It would also make Mary 37 when she had her last child, rather than 46+, which seems more likely.The only problem is that she would have been 22 when she married Philip and CB53 found that Mary was over 30 when she married....

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 June 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
I have just looked at the abstract of Philip's will, which mentioned his children. It confirmed that there was no Sarah, BUT there was an Ann! Are there any records for her birth or baptism?

I would suggest that she might be the Mary Ann baptised 15 Jul 1789, unless you know what happened to her and she had married by 1810

OR

she could be the wife of one of his sons.  Daughters in law were often referred to as daughters at that time.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 June 16 08:29 BST (UK) »
Not all children were baptised soon after birth so it is possible that Mary was born earlier than 1763.   It might be worth looking at the original entry for the marriage just to check that her age has not been mistranscribed.  It is also worth noting that there is a burial in Rodmell in 1769 for a Mary Pace.  No further details but Ann, another child for Jn and Ann, also died young.  That one does specify daughter.   John Pace senior was buried in 1793.

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

How do I go about looking at the original entry for the marriage?

Any ideas how I can find out who Philip's parents were?

:)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
Can't remember if we know where he was born ?  Was it Sussex?

Original marriage entry will be at the East Sussex records office.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 20:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Nell.

I thought he was born in Arlington, Sussex in 1845, but it seems more likely he was born in 1865 so Arlington may not be correct, although it probably is as his children were all born in Arlington and he died there.

Do you have to visit the East Sussex records office in person to view records or are they available online?

:)