Author Topic: I found a business directory entry on ancestry.com once, couldn't save it  (Read 1374 times)

Offline ArthurPeabody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I use ancestry.com through a subscription provided by the public library.  I stumbled onto a page that displayed a picture of a page that looked like a business directory: about half of the page contained a description of my grandfather's business (exporting cotton from Texas to Britain) about 1920; the rest of the page had descriptions of other businesses in town.  I clicked on something on the page and got a nice picture of grandfather, circa 1914.  When I tried to save or print the pictures I got blanks.  A menu on the side of the page had 'email it'; when I tried to it shifted to my email provider, away from the information, and would not navigate back to it; because it was a library computer it didn't cache nor did it have history.  I haven't been able to find it again.  I was just noodling, not being careful; I was actually looking for something else.

Does anyone recognize the kind of information I was looking at?  The page was professionally printed, dual-column, no pictures.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I found a business directory entry on ancestry.com once, couldn't save it
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 June 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to the forum. If I go to the library I use a USB Flash Drive to save records. Without a name and the location the directory covered we can't point you in the right direction. Next time you go to the library look for directories and do a name search it might come up in the results.

Blue

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 June 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
Next time you go to the library

... take mobile phone or camera and photograph the screen before you try to save or send.

Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 June 16 11:04 BST (UK) »
I also take a USB Memory Stick.

When you are on the screen again, click on "Save" (it's on the top right), and "Save to computer".

Then, when I have finished, I open the Downloads Folder, and copy everything I have saved to my USB stick.
Just ensure you have left enough time to finish this task! My library allows me 2 hours per day; I always start the copying when I have 15 minutes remaining ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ArthurPeabody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 June 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your answers.  You misunderstood my question.  Of
   course I had a flash drive.  I couldn't save the images
   because the app prevented me: the image I saved was blank,
   when I used the app's download function or the browser's; when
   I printed it I got a blank page.  I didn't ask for help with
   that.  I asked if someone recognized the kind of information I
   was looking at in case she/he had a tip for how to find it
   again.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 June 16 21:21 BST (UK) »
what's your grandfther's name or the business name? there may be another source
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 June 16 23:09 BST (UK) »
Use the snipping tool and save the image.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 June 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
I stumbled onto a page that displayed a picture of a page that looked like a business directory: about half of the page contained a description of my grandfather's business (exporting cotton from Texas to Britain) about 1920; the rest of the page had descriptions of other businesses in town.  I clicked on something on the page and got a nice picture of grandfather, circa 1914.  ...
Does anyone recognize the kind of information I was looking at?  The page was professionally printed, dual-column, no pictures.
???

From the description it sounds more like a local history rather than a directory. When you go back to the library try searching with grandfather's name & the name of the place then look under catagories such as Stories, Memories & Histories as well as Schools, Directories & Church Histories.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 June 16 02:47 BST (UK) »
It sounds likely that the business directory page may have been an attached record on a family tree on ancestry and the photo one that the tree owner has attached to their tree.

Try clicking on Search (at the top of the home screen) and from the drop down list, choose Public Member Trees

Enter your Grandfather's details (Name, year/place of birth) on that screen and see if there is a tree that includes him.

Boo

Moderator comment: edited for content. Please do not suggest look-ups from commercial sources which have strict 'Terms of Use'.