Author Topic: HELP PLEASE? Need to find Alice Schofield ASAP?  (Read 21719 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP PLEASE? Need to find Alice Schofield ASAP?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 June 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
It would seem to me that for whatever reason Alice had changed her surname to Lane when she married or indeed she had married to a Lane previously and maybe not free to actually marry again.   Certainly, whilst she marries Schofield as a spinster and gives her Briggs father the surname of Lane too, to all intents and purposes she appears to come clean on the birth certificate of your aunts birth certificate as she was then Alice Schofield, late Lane (either by changing her surname herself or by earlier marriage), formerly Briggs.   

Thomas Palfreman(variants) Briggs was indeed an Engine Driver in 1901 and she herself states her maiden name as Briggs on your aunts birth certificate.   So either by choice or a previous marriage she'd become a 'Lane' by 1919.   Since the Reginald Lane/Alice Briggs 1914 marriage certificate details are not available online it's impossible to say if this was her or not.     Since you believe she'd had previous children IF the 1914 at Elham marriage was correct, a Gladys R. Lane mmn Briggs birth June.qtr.1916 Oxford (i.e. still down South) and then there is an Alice born in Leeds 2 years later.   It looks to me like Gladys R. Lane married in Leeds in 1937 to a Rowland Lucas.   Deaths index show a Gladys Rees Lucas born 22/3/1916 died. Jan.1992 Northumberland (he died in Leeds 1980).   There is only the one Gladys R. Lane born in 1916 Oxford.

There was also a Reginald Lane killed in WW1 on 4/10/1917 Devonshire Regt.??

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 June 16 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk, the Briggs/Lane marriage is a possibility. Will bear it in mind

I did a quick check on FreeBMD to see if there were any children born after 1914 - 1919
surname Lane mmn Briggs but couldn't see any in Elham - the only ones I could find were

1916 Oxford Gladys R Lane

1918 Leeds Alice Lane

Have you found Alice on 1911 census ?

After her remarriage Eliza and her family lived in Oxford

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 June 16 23:45 BST (UK) »
The 1914 marriage to Reginald Lane looking more and more likely.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 June 16 00:12 BST (UK) »
Just realised that Eliza's 2nd husband was surname Rees - and this is the second name of Alice Brigg's possible daughter Gladys!!

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 June 16 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hello, I would love to track down Alice Schofield for my 92 year old auntie. Alice was her mother although she and her sister were not brought up by her. Alice died in childbirth in her 40's, and as my auntie was the youngest it would be  June 1924. She married John William Schofield in 1919 and had apparently had other children although I'm not sure if they were to John or a previous relationship.
My auntie believes her to be buried/cremated at Beckett St cemetery in Leeds. PLEASE can anyone help find Alice???
Thanks

Hello Susan

I not sure what you want to know about Alice Schofield nee Lane- Either  1) As much info of Alice's exact burial location in Beckett St cemetery in Leeds with scan copy map of the grave location of the common grave to show your 92 year old aunty 

2) Alice Schofield who died 1925 wanting her family ancestry info

If its about Alice's grave info ? this link will give you details where and who to contact offline for more detailed information.

Enquiries about burials at Beckett Street Cemetery from people who cannot visit Leeds can be sent to the Chief Superintendent of Cemeteries & Crematoria, Lawnswood Cemetery, Otley Road, Leeds LS16 6AH

or

Leeds Library

See link

http://www.gravestonepix.com/contents1a/2010/09/beckett-street-cemetery-leeds/?doing_wp_cron=1465689137.1538689136505126953125

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 June 16 03:29 BST (UK) »
At the moment it's looking like the children of Alice Schofield, late Lane,  formerly Briggs could be as follows:

Gladys Rees Lane b.1916 Oxford )
Alice Lane b.1918 Leeds             ) father Reginald Lane ?? died WW1 4/10/1917

Alice - as Lane -
married John W Schofield 1919 Leeds and possible children of this union are:

Lily Schofield - mmn Lane  Mar.1920 Leeds - bur.15/4/1922 dau. of John W.
John W. Schofield - mmn Lane Jun.1922 Leeds - died 1922
Daughter Schofield - mmn Briggs Sept.1923 Leeds
Daughter Schofield - mmn Briggs Sept.1924 Leeds
Florrie Schofield - mmn  Lane Sept.1925 Leeds - died Sept.1925 Leeds

Since Alice died Sept.qtr.1925 in childbirth, as your aunt was born in 1924 there must have been a further pregnancy after her and a birth/death in Sept.1925 for a Florrie Schofield - this time mmn Lane again - would fit the bill.   It seem that infants who died at/soon after birth are not shown in the Cemetery Index.

So, if all this hypothesis is correct, Alice had 2 children with Mr. Lane, then 5 with Mr. Schofield - the first 2 of which died, then your aunt and her sister in 1923 and 1924, then a further daughter in Sept.1925 who also died the same period as Alice herself.   Last 5 children in 5 years - poor woman!

Annette 
London -  Monk

Offline susan57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 June 16 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
Thanks so much for all your responses. Thought I would update on what I have got so far.
We now have a burial for Alice in Leeds Sept 1925. I have a marriage certificate for Alice Lane and John w. Schofield for 1919 which states her father to be Thomas Palfreman Lane. I am wondering now if her Mother was Briggs and what happened re a marriage for them????
The family which makes most sense to us is
Edna b.1919 born Keighley mms Briggs
Geoffrey b.1920 born Bradford mms Briggs
Stanley b.1921 born Bradford mms Briggs
Joe b.//1923 born Leeds mms Briggs
Caroline b.1923 born Leeds mms Briggs (aunties living sister)
Eva b.1924 born Leeds mms Briggs (auntie)
and maybe another child ? died with Alice in childbirth 1925(aunty remembers being told she died in childbirth)
I have received info re another scenario for aunties siblings which I am currently trying to check out.
Thanks so far all

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 June 16 11:34 BST (UK) »
Another piece of the jigsaw:
Alice Schofield buried 1925 at Leeds Becket Street, entry No 71819 grave No 21846 unconsecrated section. (Together with 15 others)
No headstone recorded but the plot should be relatively easy to find?
[Grave at head of row (21840) has headstone, with Alice buried 6 graves in off the 'Dissenters Walk'.]
 Brian
Personal details:
Abode_Name   4
Abode_Street   Halls Court
Abode_Place   Hunslet, Leeds
Relationship   Wife of
Rel_Male_Forenames   J
Rel_Male_Surname   SCHOFIELD
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 June 16 12:12 BST (UK) »

There was also a Reginald Lane killed in WW1 on 4/10/1917 Devonshire Regt.??

Unfortunately no further info. given as to whether this Reginald Lane married 1914 Alice Briggs
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/835300/LANE,%20REGINALD

Found this info. but still doesn’t help but thought I’d post anyway

Details from UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929
Reginald Lane Death Date:   4 Oct 1917
Regimental Number:   201851

Under these headings on the above form is following detail
credits & charges
date of authority, to whom authorised
27/5/18 father Jesse
17/11/19 fa. Jesse

1901 there is a father Jesse Lane, wife Bessie with a son Reginald born Beckenham living in KENT
RG13; Piece: 688; Folio: 38; Page: 16

and his ch.

Reginald Lane born 9 Apr 1890
Baptism Date:   4 Oct 1891 Beckenham, Kent, England
Father:   Jesse Lane Mother:   Bessie

Marriage
Sep 1884 Bromley
Jesse Lane name on same page Bessie Wheeler

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk