Author Topic: John Vickery Bow Street police officer 1799-1822  (Read 1928 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Vickery Bow Street police officer 1799-1822
« on: Monday 13 June 16 00:28 BST (UK) »
Has anyone researched John Vickery, Bow Street police officer 1799-1822. I am trying to build a picture of his life in connection with his son or adopted son Christopher Brown otherwise Vickery who came to Australia in early 1820s.

I would like to verify I have correct details of his birth and marriage and ascertain if he married a second time.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: John Vickery Bow Street police officer 1799-1822
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 16 11:23 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us what details you already of his birth and marriage?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
Well, John Vickery was still in London in Jan 1823, when he was elected to the post of governor of the House of Correction, Coldbath-fields. In 1828 his name (as Governor) was on an advert seeking bids for suplying the House of Correction.

I'm assuming this is the same John Vickery as when he was elected to the Governor's post, he was described as having been a Bow St officer for the previous 19 years.
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 June 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
Annie, for his birth I have Bapt 14 Aug 1771 at All Saints Odiham Hamps with parents James and Phoebe. There are siblings with same location details and mainly same parents - James 1759, Phoebe 1761, Ann 1764, William 1768.

For marriage I have Sarah Marriner 9 Jan 1794 at St Andrews Farnham, Surrey. Then children John 8 June  1794 and Phoebe 30 Oct 1795 both at Cheshunt (out of their usual territory) and both with parents John and Sarah.

No wife mentioned in 1820 Will but I can't identify a death for Sarah.

A document refering to his death mentions his wife was the matron at the Bridewell at Odiham where he was the Governor. He was Governor at Cold Bath Fields Clerkenwell 1822-1829 when he could retire after 7 yrs and get a pension. He was a Bow Street officer 1799 until 1822 when he retired due to injury.

I am most curious about the 3 sons mentioned in his Will written in 1820 - as well as John and Phoebe he referred to my 3 children or reputed children by my my late friend Ann Brown deceased. Their names were James George, Christopher and Joshua Vickery otherwise Brown.

The latter 2 ended up in Australia and married in to my family.

Was he the father of these 3 boys or did he adopt them?

Did he remarry after Sarah died - to whom and when?

Regards! Marilyn

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 June 16 12:29 BST (UK) »
Aha! It sounds as though the boys were born out of wedlock; maybe before he married Sarah, maybe during his marriage.

It could be that he and Sarah separated (they wouldn't have divorced) and he then had a relationship with Ann.

Of course, this may not be the case, but I have a very similar situation with one of my ancestors who married and had several children. At some point his marriage broke down and he had 2 sons with someone else; both sons were baptised with the mother's surname, but he was named as father on the baptism records. Both sons used his name throughout their lives and were acknowledged in his will as his sons. When he died, he and his wife were living separately (she lived a few years longer) but no mention whatsoever was made of his wife in his will.

So in the case of John Vickery it's possible that Sarah was still around when he wrote the will, but simply disinherited --
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 June 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
He refers to them as "my three sons" so yes they're his & Ann Brown is the mother.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 00:12 BST (UK) »
Annie and Jim, interesting food for thought. He likely married Sarah 1794 and John and Phoebe born soon after. Brown children not born til 1801, 1806, 1809 so looks like after Sarah died or they had separated.

There is a little confusion as if on Ancestry you search St Leonard Shoreditch for baptisms 1705-1810 with parents Wiliam and Ann there are 2 or 3 families and some with similar addresses.

Looks like Christopher born in Shoreditch  address Kingslands Rd as was a Sophia born 1798. The other 2 boys born Bethnal Green. I can't access Ancestry for a while to see if any other children in Bethnal Green to same parents. Addresses not given in BG register.

William is nominated father so sounds like alive when they were born but maybe had died by1820 Will when Ann was also deceased. Or William could have just left.

Regards, Marilyn

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 08:57 BST (UK) »

A document refering to his death mentions his wife was the matron at the Bridewell at Odiham where he was the Governor. He was Governor at Cold Bath Fields Clerkenwell 1822-1829 when he could retire after 7 yrs and get a pension. He was a Bow Street officer 1799 until 1822 when he retired due to injury.

In his letter applying for the keepership of Odiham Bridewell, published in the Hampshire Chronicle,  15 July 1839, John Vickery states " ... I am the son of Mr John Vickery, many years the Governor of the House of Correction, Cold Bath Fields, London ..."

In October 1839 he was writing to the same publication with thanks for his and his wife's appointment

In an item reported in the Hampshire Chronicle, 28 Sep 1840 the paper refers to the Court of the Odiham Bridewell meeting in the room of "John Vickery, deceased" to discuss the appointment of a Keeper to the Odiham Bridewell.

FindMyPast has the transcribed burial details for John Vickery, age 45 on 20 July 1840 at Odiham

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 10:18 BST (UK) »
(message deleted)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)