Author Topic: Alexander Mckenzie & Ann Greig abt 1780 - stuck  (Read 5088 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mckenzie & Ann Greig abt 1780 - stuck
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 19 June 16 11:45 BST (UK) »
Scott,
I'm afraid like you I'm limited to online sources. The OPR deaths for Guthrie cover the period 1716 - 1794 but I'm afraid I've not found a death for Mary Gibb at SP.

I have read through all the MIs found at the Abel site but no luck - I did however find Ann Wilson's sister Euphemia and her husband David Ogilvie who farmed at Broadfauld  :).
http://www.ancestor.abel.co.uk/Angus/Guthrie.html

Couple of thoughts...if you read through the 1841 Guthrie census returns it would appear that almost without exception the women are listed under their maiden names. I know this was not uncommon in Scotland but I've not come across a parish where all the women appear to be listed as such. You can't therefore infer Ann was a widow who had reverted to using her maiden name.

When James McKenzie was born in 1788 Alexander and Mary were yet to marry therefore if they'd had a son called Alexander he would have had to been born out of wedlock to Mary (or to another woman?) prior to that date to be old enough to marry in 1802. If this was the case there might be something in the Kirk sessions IF he was born in Guthrie?

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry that have Ann Greig's husband Alexander born in abt 1780 and dying in 1864 or 1866 but nothing to substantiate these claims....

Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 June 16 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've been stuck for years on this.

I descend from Alexander McKenzie/McKinzie (dob and dod unknown) and Ann Greig (m Dec 25, 1802 in Guthrie - states "in Couthils"??? on the 1822 birth certif of his daughter). No mention of parents or other family members. He was a Cattle Dealer.

Ann (b:1782 Inverkeilor, Angus d:1864 Lunanhead, Angus).  I have a 1841 census entry (Guthrie) for Ann Greig (age 58) with and an Alexander McKenzie (age 93 - not born in that county - suspect he's her father-in-law)

Questions:

1) I'm stuck at Alexander McKenzie. Any suggestions of what to do next?

Scott (in Montreal)

Have you looked for a connection that could link a "foreign born" Cattle Dealer to Inverkeilor where Ann was born? 

The description of  Inverkeilor is that it's sparsely populated and it sends cattle to Glasgow and then onwards to London.   Maybe Alex M'kenzie was born in or near Glasgow, Lanarkshire?

http://www.oldroadsofscotland.com/stataccforfar.htm#inverkeilor

I haven't read the Angus/Forfarshire 1792 Statistical Account but that might throw up another clue.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline McTeacher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 July 16 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi - Been away for a while but getting back at it. Thanks for the suggestion on "out of county". I think that's a logical place to start. Always enjoy reading old records anyway.

Have a great day - Storm coming here in Montreal.

Offline McTeacher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 31 August 19 17:27 BST (UK) »
I was just reviewing 1841 Guthrie census and noticed the Jolly family (Charles Sr, Charles Jr and his wife Mary ?)  listed just above my Alexander McKenzie and Ann Greig. Thought this might be of interest to you if you hadn't seen it.

:-)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 31 August 19 17:44 BST (UK) »
Aye, I've seen that one but never pursued old Charles. The McKenzie line is my father's mother's side...the Jolly's appear to be Kincardineshire although as just about everyone on the planet knows I'm stuck in 1811 when William Jolly married Catherine Sherret in St Cyrus :)
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline McTeacher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 31 August 19 18:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I saw the Jolly name so close to McKenzie/McKinzie and thought...wow.

FYI, a distant cousin is helping me fill in your James McKenzie's (son of Alex and Mary Gibb) sister Jean/Jane, her seeming husband James Carrey/Carey/Carrie, daughters Ann and Agnes (so far) and Ann's husband "Raitt" and children. Hoping to fill in and build around a bit to connect your family to mine.

Looking at hand written copy of 1841 Guthrie census, it has Alexander McKenzie (living w/ 58 yr old Ann Greig and 14 yr old grandson Alexander Gibb is there) age 93 as "Agriculture" for profession. This might be because of his age but Alexander McKenzie, husband to Ann Greig is usually listed as a Cattle Dealer so wondering if the above is his father (or Agriculture might include livestock - here in Canada, it usually means just farming).

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 31 August 19 19:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I saw the Jolly name so close to McKenzie/McKinzie and thought...wow.

FYI, a distant cousin is helping me fill in your James McKenzie's (son of Alex and Mary Gibb) sister Jean/Jane, her seeming husband James Carrey/Carey/Carrie, daughters Ann and Agnes (so far) and Ann's husband "Raitt" and children. Hoping to fill in and build around a bit to connect your family to mine.

Looking at hand written copy of 1841 Guthrie census, it has Alexander McKenzie (living w/ 58 yr old Ann Greig and 14 yr old grandson Alexander Gibb is there) age 93 as "Agriculture" for profession. This might be because of his age but Alexander McKenzie, husband to Ann Greig is usually listed as a Cattle Dealer so wondering if the above is his father (or Agriculture might include livestock - here in Canada, it usually means just farming).

Sorry to interrupt but do you know who James parents were as  I noticed their children were baptised in St Vigeans as my 4x gt grandmother was a Carey born in Arbroath and married a Jolly  (no conection to Jens Jollys so far)

Offline McTeacher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 31 August 19 23:33 BST (UK) »
I assume by "James" you mean James Carey? If so, I don't have his parents because I just started searching this line.

You mention "4 children", are you referring to James Carey and Jean/Jane McKenzie? If so I only have 3 (Ann, Agnes and Isabella). Who is the other?

Thanks