Author Topic: Missing years of Emily Caudwell  (Read 974 times)

Offline SusieQ52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing years of Emily Caudwell
« on: Monday 13 June 16 20:12 BST (UK) »
I am struggling to locate information for my grandmother Emily Caudwell last located in Ordsall Nottinghamshire in the 1911 census, I can find nothing for her until she married my grandfather Harry Stanniland in 1932, my mother believes she was in service somewhere but I can't find anything! My grandmother died at the age of 27 when my mother was barely a little over a year old and she lived with her grandmother, the family were very guarded with information about her mother, my mum is now elderly and would so love to know where her mother was and what she was doing? Any ideas? Following on from the Amelie Cuypers story, she was my mothers grandmother who took her in when her mother died until her father remarried ?
Any help would be great

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing years
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 09:01 BST (UK) »
What were you expecting to find?  Unless she did anything (eg marry, have a child, get into trouble with the law etc) that warranted a record being made and then that record surviving, there will be nothing to find!

Did she have older siblings who may have married in the period 1911-1932? If so, maybe she was a witness?  Did either of her father or grandparents die in that time? maybe she registered the deaths. Maybe they left a Will naming her as a beneficiary.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing years of Emily Caudwell
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
Have you got the death certificate of your grandmother Emily? If not you need to order it as it could answer a few questions. Cause of death may be a reason the family were guarded in talking about her. It may have just been simply sadness, and not wanting to upset anyone.
Emily Stanniland
Jun 1936
Age 28
Sheffield
9c/419

As Liz says, there will probably be nothing to find, and most of us only know about specifics that appear on census'. Unless we are lucky and find school admissions. Or they appear on electoral registers. The 1921 census may give you another hint, but a while to wait for it http://www.1921census.org.uk/
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline SusieQ52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »
 :(I think my mum would just like to know where she was working we have been back to Retford and the surrounding areas to try and locate some of the big houses in the area, I think I have researched myself out! I still have no answers for her and I'm sad  :(

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 November 16 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Did you order her death certificate as this could give you a clue as to where she was living at the time.
I doubt very much that you are going to find out where she was working. There are many large houses in the area that have been demolished, converted etc, it may have also not been a large house,modest people also hired servants.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline SusieQ52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 16 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Her death certificate simply states she was a cook, and her address is the one where she lived with my  grandad in my head I think she worked at Welham hall because of the distance her  sister used to walk to collect her wages, and my grandad was a plate layer on the railways and the railway line runs along the back of the Hall as it was. I may be clutching at straws in the vain hope I am right?

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 November 16 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have her marriage certificate as that sometimes tells you if she was in service and where they were living.
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline SusieQ52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 November 16 12:33 GMT (UK) »
I do it simply says she was a cook, it's so frustrating that there is nothing since the 1911 census

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 November 16 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Have found Caudwells in East Retford on Electoral Registers from 1921 to 1930.
Emily, Richard & George together mainly at no 71 High Street
Also John and Emma at No 109, Herbert & Jessie at no 95, George Frederick, Edith and Ellen at 87.
Cant find any other sitings.
DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area