Author Topic: Albert Jordon Croft  (Read 1117 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Jordon Croft
« on: Tuesday 14 June 16 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello
Struggling to find records for Albert Jordon Croft who may have been born in the Bristol area around 1845.   I can find some for his family.He marries as Albert Croft  a Jane Parker b 1843 Hull( but who is living in Bristol ) on 23 dec 1866 . St James Bristol .She dies in Canada after 1916 when she went out with a daughter and family. . I can find her and the children on the 1871 and 1881 census But no trace of Albert who I think dies 1878 Bedminster Bristol.
Their Children are Ann Croft jan 1868, Jane ,Oct 1868 b Newton Abbot, Mary Lydia 1871-1946 b Bristol dies Canada. Elizabeth b 1873 Exeter , Alice Maude b 1874 Bristol and Jessie Jordon Croft 1875-1966.
On the 1881 Census Jane is 38 and shown as a Widow living in Bedminster ,Bristol.

Have been able to Trace Jane Croft nee Parker parents and family and can go forward in Canada but
nothing on her husband or is father Thomas Croft . Grateful for your Help.
Many thanks.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Jordon Croft
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
I wonder - 1851 - living in Lincoln and all children born Lincoln with poss marriage with mother Mary Jorden

Thomas Croft 44 Railway Labourer  b Plymouth Devon
Mary Croft    46 Bradford, Nottinghamshire,
William Croft 16
John Croft    11
Martha Croft 9
Susanna Croft 6
Albert Croft 4
Ann Croft    1

Thomas Croft to Mary Jorden
Marriage Date    18 Nov 1827 at St Peter At Gowts,Lincoln

Edit - In 1861 the family are in Lowestoft and Albert is an Oil Cake Cutter??

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 19:27 BST (UK) »
He married as plain Albert Croft and you haven't got his death (there is no 1878 death in this name) nor his birth so how do you know he had the middle name 'Jordon'?

How old was he when married, what was his occupation and also that of his father Thomas?

I can only really see one possibility:

A Thomas Croft bc.1807 Plymouth, Devon married a Mary Jordan 18/11/1827 Lincoln (she bc.1805 Nottingham).

They had various children in Lincoln including an Albert Croft birth reg'd Dec.qtr.1846 Lincoln.

In 1851 family are living in Lincoln, in 1861 in Lowestoft, Suffolk.  Can't find them in 1871 except for married son John still in Lowestoft.

This Albert born around the right time, father is a Thomas, mothers maiden name Jordan.   Looks a good candidate to me.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you both. Looks interesting and i cant see anything else that fits . Two of his children went  to Canada and the youngest was called Jessie Jorden Croft  and what I know has come from their descendants. On some of the christening records --eg Alice Maude Croft on 5/10/1876 her fathers name  is  given as Albert Jordon Croft.
So we know he  alive then but on the 1881 census his wife is recorded as a widow. His date of death is just a quess --and I cant find any records. Something of a mystery.

Many thanks

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 00:26 BST (UK) »
As asked before can you please give us Alberts occupation when he married (and on christening) and also that of his father Thomas?

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 07:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry but do not have that information  but realise I will need to  order his marriage certificate.Had Hoped to avoid the cost . Have been looking up what an  Oil Cake Cutter was in 1861 and it would appear that it was someone who operated machinery in a mill that made Oil Cattle Cake from linseed oil and other products  for Cattle. Some mills would be near railways.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 14:59 BST (UK) »
My reason for asking is to ascertain if he had an occupation that could necessitate him travelling around, or perhaps a seaman who was lost at sea.   I doubt very much that he still had the occupation he had as a 14year old.

Last night spent quite some time researching his family.

Thomas Croft and Mary Jordan seem to have had the following children:

Joseph bp.24/8/1828, bur.18/9/1828 St. Botolphs, Lincoln
Elizabeth bp.2/8/1829 St. Peter at Gowts, Lincoln
Mary bp.18/12/1831 St. Botolphs, Lincoln - bur.30/5/1847 St. Swithins, Lincoln aged 16.
William bp.20/3/1834 St. Botolphs - bur.30/3/1834 St. Botolphs
William Jardine (?) bp.5/4/1835 St. Botolphs, Lincoln
John Jordan born 11/8, bp.8/9/1839 St. Swithins, Lincoln
Martha bp.18/1/1842 St. Marks, Lincoln - bur.22/2/1852 St. Swithin, Lincoln aged 10
Susan/Susanna - birth June qtr.1844 Lincoln
Albert - birth Dec.qtr.1846 Lincoln
Ann - born circa 1850 Lincoln

Sometime 1852 and 1861 family moved to Lowestoft:

Elizabeth Croft married Thomas Bhamforther (?? as transcribed GRO index) 1856 Mutford Reg.District (district for Lowestoft) - on 1861 Census Thomas and Elizabeth Barnfather are living in St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol - this could be how Albert ended up there too.

John Jordan Croft married Kezia Eves Ellis 1860 Mutford and seemed to remain in the Lowestoft area.

Would seem the remaining family then moved to Lambeth, Surrey (London) in the early 1860's. 

William Jordan Croft (transcribed on Ancestry as Croff) married Ann Miles 19/11/1865 St. John the Evangelist, Lambeth - then no further trace of them.   Could they have emigrated?

Ann Croft married Zachariah Cant 29/4/1867 St. Andrew, Lambeth (sister Susan a witness)

Susan Jordan Croft and an Edward Brown had banns read in 1868 Lambeth but doesn't look like the marriage actually took place!   Still single, Susan is with her widowed mother in Lambeth 1871 (although for some reason birthplaces for both are shown as Lambeth??) - both are now Nurses.

Thomas Croft bc.1808 died Sept.qtr.1869 Lambeth

In 1881 Mary Croft still a nurse in Lambeth and living with her is grandson Thomas Cant (son of dau. Ann).

So, Albert appears to have moved to Bristol (where his married sister Elizabeth lived) around the time the family moved to Lambeth as he married Jane Parker there in 1866 - he dies sometime between 1876 and 1881 (when Jane shown a widow) but no death entry in UK.

Hope this clarifies the situation somewhat.

Annette

London -  Monk

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Annette.
Really Fascinating . Had not made that link to Bristol --always surprises me how much people did move around . Would never have found Albert and Thomas without your  help.I discovered a lot of Crofts when I was looking last night .John Jardin Croft dies dec 1928 in Wangford Suffolk.
I ordered Albert's marriage certificate this morning and will update in due course. His mother
Mary Jordon latter Croft was baptised 7/4/1809 in Radford Nottinghamshire.Parents William and Mary Jordon.

Thank you for taking so much time over this. much appreciated.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 March 18 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Just by way of an update . The Albert Croft mentioned  at the start was working as a Boiler maker in 1866 when he married Jane Parker 23rd December in Bristol. His father Thomas now  in London is  a Time Keeper .
In 1908 Jane Croft nee Parker  a widow emigrates with two of her daughters and their families to Alberta Canada. She sailed from Liverpool on 7 Oct 1908 for Quebec on the ship Lake Erie.