Author Topic: American/Canadian Cousins  (Read 10898 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: American/Canadian Cousins
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:13 BST (UK) »
This looks like the brother of Agnes Gillies - Andrew Gillies - 26 July 1902 - passed away October 1969 - Last Residence 48170 Plymouth, Wayne, Michigan. Gives a link to American cousins perhaps  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:19 BST (UK) »
Detroit Border Crossing - Andrew Hay Gillies - born 26 July 1902 Penarth Wales - accompanied by Emily and son John Charles Gillies. Think the date for this is 1952 not 1982. Andrew was a shipper.
Last permanent address was 11326 O Brien Blvd Montreal. Going to cousin John Nolan, 1533 Burlingame Detroit 6 Michigan. Purpose in going to the USA was to be a permanent resident.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:21 BST (UK) »
The privacy laws are quite strict in Canada so Run Kitty has done you proud, trawling newspapers and searching for those obits.

Dudley Gerald Snape seems to have a sister Grace Marguerite Snape born 1894 who immigrates to Canada - Liverpool to Quebec on the Grampain - 1 July 1916. Going to brother manager Hudson Bay Co.

Have you any further info on Grace ? THere is an anc tree which says - passed away 1975 - married - ? Zagar - Toronto  ???

Sandra

Hi,

Death of Grace M Zoeger... at Scarborough General Hospital on Friday May 28, 1976.  Wife of the late Edward Zoeger.  Remembered by Zoeger, Snape and Sweetman families. 

Globe and Mail, May 29, 1976, page 52.

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:23 BST (UK) »
On a Canada Ocean Arrivals Form 30 a for Andrew Hay Gillies arriving 13 February 1923 - Saint Johns New Brunswick - destined to brother Alexander Gillies 430 Vere Place Windsor Ontario. Nearest relative in country from whence came was Jessie Gillies, 7 Plassey Square, Penarth. South Wales.

Sandra

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:25 BST (UK) »
Edward Louis Zoeger died at St. Michaels Hospital (Toronto) on Feb 20 1965.  Address 66 Scarborough Heights Blvd.  Husband of Grace M Snape.  Obit lists his siblings.  Interment Pine Hills Cemetery.

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:26 BST (UK) »
The privacy laws are quite strict in Canada so Run Kitty has done you proud, trawling newspapers and searching for those obits.

Dudley Gerald Snape seems to have a sister Grace Marguerite Snape born 1894 who immigrates to Canada - Liverpool to Quebec on the Grampain - 1 July 1916. Going to brother manager Hudson Bay Co.

Have you any further info on Grace ? THere is an anc tree which says - passed away 1975 - married - ? Zagar - Toronto  ???

Sandra

Hi,

Death of Grace M Zoeger... at Scarborough General Hospital on Friday May 28, 1976.  Wife of the late Edward Zoeger.  Remembered by Zoeger, Snape and Sweetman families. 

Globe and Mail, May 29, 1976, page 52.

RK

Excellent as usual RK - really pleased I stalk you  ;) ;) Ancestry helped a little - Zager - Zoeger  ::)

Sandra

Offline Rainbow Rebel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:36 BST (UK) »
There seems to be a problem, I will have to re examine my information.

I have:-  Grace Marguerita Snape  Born 1893 West Ham, Essex, England
                                                 Married George Robert Redfearn
                                                 Died 1986 Sutton, Surrey, England

I will let you know the outcome

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Attestation Papers for Alexander Gillies (brother of Agnes Gillies/Snape and Andrew Hay Gillies)
Alexander born 1 July 1886

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=421410

Remember to click on pdf format    B3546-S009 to get the full military file

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:39 BST (UK) »
There seems to be a problem, I will have to re examine my information.

I have:-  Grace Marguerita Snape  Born 1893 West Ham, Essex, England
                                                 Married George Robert Redfearn
                                                 Died 1986 Sutton, Surrey, England

I will let you know the outcome

Please do - the Grace obit that RK found does say she was related to the Snape/Sweetman families
 ???

Sandra