Author Topic: Christina McIntosh and Augustus Francis Merlet Sandhurst { Bendigo} Victoria  (Read 8117 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christina McIntosh and Augustus Francis Merlet Sandhurst { Bendigo} Victoria
« Reply #36 on: Friday 17 June 16 10:06 BST (UK) »
Donald was described of Narioka in his Will.  He only had the land from 1901 ie if this application was successful.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191189076
Numurkah Leader 26 Jul 1901
Revision Court at Numurkah.
Applications by Donald Macdonald, for land in Narioka ; Ewen Macdonald, for land in Yielima.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christina McIntosh and Augustus Francis Merlet Sandhurst { Bendigo} Victoria
« Reply #37 on: Friday 17 June 16 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. The family story was that he had been quite well off but bought another farm becoming heavily indebted then suffered 5 years of drought and lost everything before he died broken hearted . My grandfather Ewen left for NZ with the young servant ( my grandma) , a baby 2 of their racehorses and a parrot.

Thanks for giving me the historical context

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 17 June 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
His Will only mention two properties with first and second mortgages.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 17 June 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
MCDONALD Donald
Gazetted 18 Jun 1875
Narioka Victoria
Victoria Government Gazette Pge#1186
Comment Gazette item sub title heading Applications for Licenses under Section 19 Approved

MCDONALD Donald
Gazetted 16 Feb 1877
Place Narioka
Victoria Government Gazette Pg#328
Comment: Notices to Lessees and Licensees in Arrears Section 19 Land Act

and again

MCDONALD Donald
Gazetted 27 Sep 1878
Place Narioka Victoria
Victoria Government Gazette  Pge#2375
Comment  Applications for Leases Approved

MCDONALD Donald
Gazetted 22 Aug 1879
Place Narioka
Victoria Government Gazette  Pg#2093
Comment  Notice to Lessees & Licensees in Arrears

Under Section 19 of the Land Act 1869 selectors could apply for a three-year licence to occupy Crown land. The rent was set at two shillings per acre and a maximum of 320 acres per selector was allowed. On application, a deposit of half a years rent was paid. If the application was refused, the deposit was refunded.

He didn't lose everything before he died.  He still held the titles to two 640 acre 'blocks' albeit they were mortgaged.

Always the possibility that family stories become distorted and embellished over the years. Not unusual.

Cando

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 17 June 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
Makes for more exciting retelling perhaps. I know however my parents were very concerned when 2 of my brothers bought a kiwifruit farm at the height of a downturn here citing the uncertainties of farming . Despite frosts and a quite crippling disease that affected their crops they have done exceedingly well. Perhaps unlike our ancestor they were not indebted and initially had other day jobs

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 08:49 GMT (UK) »
You all went a lot further than I've done.

It is my husband's family not mine

Thanks
Julia

Offline dijaks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 00:28 BST (UK) »
Well I have had a very interesting read this morning of all your comments and learned much about my extended MacIntosh (Highlander spelling) or McIntosh family!  I googled my cousin Archibald McIntosh of Stawell, and up came all your posts!  Archibald McIntosh was born in 1813 to John McIntosh and Catherine Murchieson on the Isle of Skye.  He had one brother Samuel and one sister Catherine.  Samuel remained a bachelor and Catherine married a John Lamont in 1848 and they had one daughter Catherine around 1849.  Catherine married Allan Macleod in 1882 and they had 6 children, all born in Snizort North (Parish).
Archibald's father John McIntosh was born around 1780 to Archibald Macintosh and Catherine Nicolson on the Isle of Skye.  John had 8 brothers and sisters, one of which was Marion Macintosh and she was my great great great grandmother!  Most of the children were born in Snizort Parish.

John and Marion's brother Angus McIntosh followed his nephew Archibald out to the Colony of Victoria in 1853 on the NEW ZEALANDER.  He and his wife, another Catherine Nicolson, had 8 children, also born in Snizort Parish.

Angus eventually settled in Branxholme, near Hamilton in Victoria.  Some of the children married Mathiesons and some married Macdonalds.  One married a Bethune and one married a Cotter!

In the meantime, my Marion's son, Charles Finlayson, made his way out to the Colony in 1857 on the MALDON, with his wife Marion McDougall.  After working in the Geelong area for 2 years to pay off their passage out, they settled outside Ballarat in the Clunes area.  They had 9 children!  Charles and Marion are buried with Marion's brother Alexander in the Coghills Creek Cemetery where many many Skye people are buried.  But their's is another story!

Great stuff Julia P. and Cando!!!  Diane in Bendigo, formerly Sandhurst.