Author Topic: Rhesus Negative Factor  (Read 22501 times)

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
Rhesus Negative Factor
« on: Thursday 16 June 16 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I was wondering if there was any research to find out if there is a genetic link amongst people who are rhesus negative and if it could help with DNA testing and tracing ancestors. Or am I barking up the wrong tree, so to speak?

I did attempt some research about rhesus neg on the interweb, and hastily retreated after finding most of the information to be about being either a descendant of the nephilim, aliens, serpents etc or subject to other alarming claims. I did feel like I should hide in a darkened room and check for fins.

I don't know much about DNA testing, so I do apologise if this is a stupid question, but I did wonder if the two could help establish a link.

best wishes

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Rhesus Negative Factor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 June 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
I can't be of much help, but had to smile at your post.  I am Rhesus negative and also tried to do some research on it and came across those same  articles you must have seen. ::) ;D

What I do know is that both my parents were RH neg and so are OH and myself, and both my kids are and my siblings.  So you can see why I was interested in doing some research, but it was hard to find anything that didn't sound like aliens landing....

There was a Wikipedia article, I think I googled RH negative blood type, but it was some time ago..
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 June 16 16:29 BST (UK) »
I can't be of much help, but had to smile at your post.  I am Rhesus negative and also tried to do some research on it and came across those same  articles you must have seen. ::) ;D

What I do know is that both my parents were RH neg and so are OH and myself, and both my kids are and my siblings.  So you can see why I was interested in doing some research, but it was hard to find anything that didn't sound like aliens landing....

There was a Wikipedia article, I think I googled RH negative blood type, but it was some time ago..

Wow, you have alot of RH neg people in your family, I can see why you would want to know more :)
It's alarming what's written out there isn't it?. I had to stop reading the comments underneath!

I only knew I was RH neg when I had my kids. It wasn't until I came across a few things about this blood type in some of the ancestry sites that I realised there was all this other stuff written about it.
I did read that it is most common in Basque people / Iberian Peninsula etc and that's about all I know.

Ahh well....I shall slither off now  ;D

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 June 16 16:41 BST (UK) »

From what I remember reading it is passed down genetically in our DNA and it is only found in a relatively small section of the population. 

My mum also only found out about it when she had me, but luckily my dad was RH neg too so none of the complications that can occur were a problem.  The same with me, my doc was concerned until OH's RH neg status was confirmed. 

I think I may have saved an article or two that made some sense, will have a dig through my bookmarks and see if I can find it.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 June 16 17:16 BST (UK) »
Maybe there is a connection to genealogy/researching and being Rhesus Neg as so am I!

Not to be too complex-

Everybody carries two Rhesus parts and inherits one from each parent

To be positive you can receive either two positives [+ and +]
or one of each type or [+ and -]

To be negative you receive a negative part from each parent [- and -]

Two Rhesus Positive [+ and +] parents will only have Rhesus Positive [+ and +] children
Two Rhesus Negative [- and -] parents will only have Rhesus Negative [- and -] children
It takes a combination of parents ([- and -] and [+ and -] or [+ and -] and [+ and -]) for a combination of positive and negative sibling children

Negative mothers who are at risk of having a positive baby must be monitored to ensure that they don't reject the baby as a foreign object in the body and this is more prevalent in second and subsequent pregnancies as anti-bodies are built up against the invasion. Injections to prevent the build up of anti-bodies are usually given after the first positive baby is born.

A blood type/group is a characteristic of specific substances on the surface of red blood cells, the two most important classifications to describe blood types in humans are ABO and the Rhesus factor (Rh factor).

More stats here for whomever is interested!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 June 16 17:19 BST (UK) »

Found that link to the article.  Keep meaning to sort my bookmarks, into categories but never seem to get around to it

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask381

It makes it pretty easy to understand without turning us into aliens.

Back to the mothership now ;D

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 June 16 17:46 BST (UK) »
Maybe there is a connection to genealogy/researching and being Rhesus Neg as so am I!

Not to be too complex-

Everybody carries two Rhesus parts and inherits one from each parent

To be positive you can receive either two positives [+ and +]
or one of each type or [+ and -]

To be negative you receive a negative part from each parent [- and -]

Two Rhesus Positive [+ and +] parents will only have Rhesus Positive [+ and +] children
Two Rhesus Negative [- and -] parents will only have Rhesus Negative [- and -] children
It takes a combination of parents ([- and -] and [+ and -] or [+ and -] and [+ and -]) for a combination of positive and negative sibling children

Negative mothers who are at risk of having a positive baby must be monitored to ensure that they don't reject the baby as a foreign object in the body and this is more prevalent in second and subsequent pregnancies as anti-bodies are built up against the invasion. Injections to prevent the build up of anti-bodies are usually given after the first positive baby is born.

A blood type/group is a characteristic of specific substances on the surface of red blood cells, the two most important classifications to describe blood types in humans are ABO and the Rhesus factor (Rh factor).

More stats here for whomever is interested!

When you read those stats, its amazing that there are as many of us as there are!

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 June 16 17:51 BST (UK) »

But we still only make up a small percentage of the population.  In the US apparently according to some stats only 15% of the population and 7% world wide.

My mum was O- and was a regular donor until her hypertension meds excluded her....

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 June 16 17:52 BST (UK) »

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask381

It makes it pretty easy to understand without turning us into aliens.

Thanks for the link, really interesting. I had no idea that we might be protected from toxoplasmosis and that people with sickle cell could have protection from malaria. Fascinating stuff.

Back to the mothership now ;D

Live long and prosper  ;D

ps:- got me quotes and bolds all confused...sorry ::)