Author Topic: Rhesus Negative Factor  (Read 22530 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rhesus Negative Factor
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 17 July 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
Lizzie, did the pathologist explain how, if your husband is Positive, his children get a negative gene from him?  Wouldn't it have come from yourself?
??? ??? ??? ???

Dawn M

When it comes to features we inherit genetically we have a genotype and phenotype.  Genotype is what your genes are and phenotype is what is expressed. 

Rhesus negative gene is what is called recessive and rhesus positive is dominant.  This means that:
 genotpye - - would be Rhesus negative phenotype but genotype -+ would be rhesus positive phenotype. You inherit one chromosome from each parent so in this case the children inherited the -ve gene from their father.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 17 July 16 09:40 BST (UK) »
Well explained, PharmaT.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Neli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Onwards and upwards!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 00:22 BST (UK) »
I've been Rhesus neg all my life and never knew any of this. I found out when I gave blood as a student, many moons ago, they said my blood was rare and I should give as often as I could. Mum told me she had to have an injection because 'I had funny blood', when I was born but, I had no idea of the implications.
*wanders off to look for her flying saucer*
Nolan, Donohoe, O'Neill, McNally, O'Reilly

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 09:14 BST (UK) »
Neli - I think Rh Neg blood is less rare than people originally thought.  If you think of all the Rh neg people there were, most of whom had children who were also Rh Neg - in my case 5 children - and at least one of my children married someone with Rh Neg blood, so their 3 children all have Rh Neg, the numbers must be growing. 

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 09:52 BST (UK) »

It is still fairly uncommon if some of the statistics are to be believed, they say that only about 7% of the world's population is negative.....

Most folk are RH+

http://www.rhnegativeregistry.com/welcome.html
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
I'm rhesus negative too...obviously descended from gods and Angels and all that  ;)
Am actually expecting my second child too (13 years after my 1st...must be mad lol) and have to have that anti-d injection a bit later on.
My mom isn't rhesus (can't remember what she said she is, a or o??) so must have come from dads line.
Thank god for modern medicine! I remember reading that Queen Anne was probably this blood type too and that was why she had such a tragic child bearing history (18 infant deaths and numerous miscarriages if I remember right).
Lisa X
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

There have been some really helpful and interesting posts here, I have enjoyed reading them.

I've posted a link below that has some percentages of populations with R Neg blood. Some of the articles on this site need taking with a hefty pinch of salt, but I can see sense in this one:-
http://www.rhesusnegative.net/staynegative/topics/where-is-rh-negative-blood-most-frequent/

I would be very interesting, if at some point down the line, there could be established links proved through DNA and blood grouping etc. It does seem that according to the link that there are pockets of higher frequency R Neg blood which include Basque, Berber and Ireland/Scotland and Australia.

All fascinating stuff anyway.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 10:47 BST (UK) »
Very interesting.
Both my parents were A Rh neg and both were 'Celtic hybrids' - Scots/Welsh/some border English and  a touch of Irish in the 18C on both sides!. My sister and I were/are also A Rh neg  ::)
During WW2, my Dad was asked to give blood very frequently as he was told he had useful blood!
I've later discovered that my late sister, niece and I also have Factor V Liden - a clotting factor.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 11:11 BST (UK) »
My Mum was Rhesus D Neg and the only problem she had was when my Brother was born...he had to have a blood change...she called him a "Blue Baby"  ???

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU